Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:50 AM

817 posts, read 1,770,131 times

Advertisements

ConAgra Moving Headquarters To Chicago

So ConAgra is moving their headquarters out of omaha. Freeing up a major part of downtown for redevelopment (assumed). The loss of jobs is sad, but this could be a major opportunity to give omaha a real urban area that could provide more jobs than what were lost.

It's my hope that we rebuild that part of town and essentially copy - paste the existing old market to cover the new area. We can never really replace the original jobbers canyon, but perhaps we can get something as close as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,867 times
Keep the lake and rebuild the street grid.

My hope is we get the streetcar going before any development happens so we can get something really big.

This is a perfect opportunity to get a complete neighborhood like South Waterfront in Portland. The ConAgra site is similar to South Waterfront in that it would be completely new development.

Last edited by Busguy2010; 10-01-2015 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 02:32 PM

63 posts, read 100,094 times
I don't see it being worth the money required to do anything of significance. You can't get anything on the river anyway due to the railroad track, and Heartland of America park is an important connection between Gene Leahy and the pedestrian bridge area. The costs to demo the existing structures, fill in the lake, flatten and rebuild would be enormous. The Old Market is a result of a hundred years of investment, progress, development, and protection by the Mercer family. You can't just "copy and paste" it without spending ridiculous amounts.

Omaha's best bet is to recruit a forward-thinking business (something like PayPal) and give them huge tax incentives to take over the space.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,941 times
We have a pretty dan good example of what can be done with a blank slate at Aksraben Village. If we use a similar concept as a jumping off point and learn from a couple of the things that could have been done better there we can get a great extension of downtown on this land.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
We have a pretty dan good example of what can be done with a blank slate at Aksraben Village. If we use a similar concept as a jumping off point and learn from a couple of the things that could have been done better there we can get a great extension of downtown on this land.
I agree with that. All the city needs to do is demolish the buildings and add in the streets. The rest will fall into place. I like something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
ConAgra moving, what next?-east-market.png  

Old 10-01-2015, 03:19 PM

I'm actually thinking there's a pretty good chance some other corporation moves into the space though.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:00 AM

817 posts, read 1,770,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon rockefeller View Post
I don't see it being worth the money required to do anything of significance.
Why am I not surprised.

Quote:
The Old Market is a result of a hundred years of investment, progress, development, and protection by the Mercer family.
Not quite. Most of the transformation has occurred in the last 30-40 years. With a proper plan in place the area could be converted in less than 10 years. If Brazil could build an entire city in 41 months(Brasília), we can build a few blocks in less time. But I know you will disagree just because it's not west Omaha. You have made you biases clear already.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 AM

63 posts, read 100,094 times
True. Now that you say it, copying and pasting Village Pointe would be less expensive and safer and more likely to attract good retail.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:54 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
True. Now that you say it, copying and pasting Village Pointe would be less expensive and safer and more likely to attract good retail.
It already used to be a historic district, complete with high density and street grid. The historic district was demolished in late 1980s to build the ConAgra campus.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:17 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
This whole thing with ConAgra leaving Omaha really pisses me off. Many corporations are not the great corporate citizens that they once were and that's unfortunate. Heck, some companies are even moving their "headquarters" overseas to take advantage of tax loopholes.
I think that in the long run Omaha will shake this off. Here in the Twin Cities, Target laid off close to 2,000 employees in Downtown Minneapolis earlier this year, and people were freaking out. But still to this day, new office and residential buildings are being started and constructed at a rapid pace and the plans for the next light rail line are moving forward. More companies continue to move Downtown which seems to be the trend nationally and I expect will be the case in Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha