Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 13,493 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Omaha this upcoming weekend, this is my first time in the area so I don't really know what to expect. How is traffic? Where are some good places to eat and visit? Also I will be moving to Council Bluffs but I would consider moving to Omaha. I am looking for an apartment or townhouse with 1-2 bedrooms. Rent would be $600 max. What would be a good neighborhood to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,678 times
Good to see another person looking at the omaha area. If you are looking at the western side of the city traffic is a mess. I avoid anything west of 72nd st for that reason. Everyone out there is in a hurry to go nowhere and they are not shy of honking, or worse, at people that JUST do the speed limit.

For $600 you could look at midtown or even some nice places south of downtown. To get a better idea of where to live it would help to have more information. Are you employed and what part of the city would you work in. Are you open to public transit or alternative transportation (walking, biking). Are you big into the arts or music scene. Are you into clubbing, bars, nightlife in general. ALL of those will influence the suggestions and help us give the best suggestions. Omaha has a lot to offer and it's best to live close to where your interest and job is if possible.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Good to see another person looking at the omaha area. If you are looking at the western side of the city traffic is a mess. I avoid anything west of 72nd st for that reason. Everyone out there is in a hurry to go nowhere and they are not shy of honking, or worse, at people that JUST do the speed limit.

For $600 you could look at midtown or even some nice places south of downtown. To get a better idea of where to live it would help to have more information. Are you employed and what part of the city would you work in. Are you open to public transit or alternative transportation (walking, biking). Are you big into the arts or music scene. Are you into clubbing, bars, nightlife in general. ALL of those will influence the suggestions and help us give the best suggestions. Omaha has a lot to offer and it's best to live close to where your interest and job is if possible.
I am currently employed in Northern Illinois where I currently live. I have a fair amount of money put up so I think I could maintain for a couple of months while looking for employment out there. I am really big into the music scene and into the whole clubbing/nightlife scene. I am also open to public transit as it might be cheaper than driving everywhere. Do you think I'll find better housing in the Omaha area or in Council Bluffs?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingHuskie12 View Post
I am currently employed in Northern Illinois where I currently live. I have a fair amount of money put up so I think I could maintain for a couple of months while looking for employment out there. I am really big into the music scene and into the whole clubbing/nightlife scene. I am also open to public transit as it might be cheaper than driving everywhere. Do you think I'll find better housing in the Omaha area or in Council Bluffs?
Omaha for sure. No reason to choose to live in CB if you can afford not to. Omaha might have some Ghetto, but CB gets Honky real quick.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Omaha for sure. No reason to choose to live in CB if you can afford not to. Omaha might have some Ghetto, but CB gets Honky real quick.
I have heard a lot of bad about CB but not too much good. Good ol' CouncilTucky
But yeah I think Omaha will feel a lot more like home to me. I'm used to the "ghetto" but not so much the country aspect.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
Council Bluffs reputation is a lot worse than reality.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 AM

"The -tucks" is not a bad place... In fact it has many lovely areas and is now home to one of my favorite restaurants, Dixie Quicks. However I guess to be more specific I think generally west of 8th street in CB is just plain dumpy. Small houses w/ no character, chain link fences in the front yard, old dudes outside w/ their shirts off, busted up old cars in the yard.

-Can someone please tell me why almost all the houses in west CB have fenced in front yards? I've asked this question before and was told it was to keep the livestock in, but that can't be the real reason is it??

Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 AM

107 posts, read 209,841 times
I'm also probably visiting the area later this month and possibly moving to the area next year after we have some money saved. I'm also from Illinois, more central/upper south middle of nowhere though. I've heard the benson and Dundee areas could be good for us but I am also wondering about places to go/visit to get a good feel for the area in 2 days.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
I'm also probably visiting the area later this month and possibly moving to the area next year after we have some money saved. I'm also from Illinois, more central/upper south middle of nowhere though. I've heard the benson and Dundee areas could be good for us but I am also wondering about places to go/visit to get a good feel for the area in 2 days.
Would you be moving by yourself? Or bringing a family w/ children?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 AM

107 posts, read 209,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Would you be moving by yourself? Or bringing a family w/ children?
Just my fiancé and I and our dog, but not bringing the dog on the visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: