Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,401,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

This isn't about getting people on my side. It's about insulting the stupid people.
If you're such a smart guy and have it all figured out, why don't you enlighten all of us and explain your solution to a 16 million dollar deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 PM

174 posts, read 504,022 times
This is an insulting thread title. I don't see how any of these proposals are radical, since a lot of Democratic mayors have subcontracted out government services. But if a Republican does it it is "full retard?"

Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM

14,570 posts, read 23,104,164 times
Well, I see I brought the crybabies out. Oh well, more traffic for the Omaha subforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
tea party people are fiscal responsibility
No, they're the "let's not spend anything (unless it's on stuff we like, like Social Security and the military) and screw everyone else" group. Pretty much the antithesis of fiscal responsibility.

Quote:
at least tea party have jobs, not like the Occupy ???? folks who wanted a handout and free-load off everyone
Different ends of spectrum, equal levels of suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That statement is absolutely and demonstrably false, as the term was first used by (no surprise) Rachel Maddow on MSNBC and then other left media types, including President Obama.
Uhh, I think you should go reread your own link. Even bolded a real relevant part.

Quote:
Feb. 27, 2009
At the first anti-stimulus "New American Tea Party" rally in Washington D.C., a protestor carries a sign reading "Tea Bag the Liberal Dems before they Tea Bag You!!" The Washington Independent's David Weigel calls it "the best sign I saw."

March 2
Americans for Prosperity, an anti-tax group, is one of the first Tea Party organizations to advocate sending tea bags to elected officials to protest the stimulus package. Several other lobby groups follow suit.

April 1
Several Tea Party protest sites encourage readers to "Tea bag the fools in DC." Jay Nordlinger at National Review Online later admits: "Conservatives started [using the term]... but others ran and ran with it."

Epic fail, my friend.

Quote:
I have no doubt, though, that you are correct that most people sympathetic to the Tea Party movement had no idea what the slang term meant. They tend not to roll in the gutter with your types.
That just makes it worse and shows how out of touch the teabaggers are with mainstream American, now reflected in their approvals ratings that are equivalent to a hat size. "Teabagging" isn't some super secret term that was conjured up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Excellent post.

I wouldn't bother with a troll thread like this except to say that I'm glad to see it getting the push-back it deserves.
Does it count when the attempted push back falls flat on its face, like this one has?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
It has already been said but who are the teabaggers? I have only heard MSNBC and immature people use this word. If you mean the tea party then you need to rethink your comment. Its apparent that you have no idea what you're talking about.
See the link the other poster gave us. Even by their own admission, the teabaggers themselves started the whole thing. We just picked up on it and flipped it on them to make fun of their own ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
With a thread title like this, I know in advance I'm dealing with a real winner.

As for the ideas put forward by the Tea Party Patriots? Every one of 'em is a gem. Sounds like the grownups are back in charge.
I think you're in the wrong thread. This isn't the Tea Party Patriots (lolz...talk about an oxymoron) group here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If we're "teabaggers", I guess that makes those opposed to us "teabagees".

Whatever.
Oh?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If you're such a smart guy and have it all figured out, why don't you enlighten all of us and explain your solution to a 16 million dollar deficit.
Fair question. One area that needs to be addressed in the fire contract that Stothert negotiated which came in much more expensive than its original variant. I know Stothert has tried to shift the blame for that and I haven't followed it closely enough to say who is at fault, but regardless, there is probably some revisions that could be done in there. Outside of that, I'd be raising the property tax. I've long said that something of a middle point between the lowest tax rates and the pre-Hal Daub levels would be ideal.

Let me respond with a question of my own though. Do you feel that cutting property taxes and eliminating or reducing the restaurant and wheel taxes (as Stothert has promised to do) is a sound method to decreasing a deficit?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
This is an insulting thread title. I don't see how any of these proposals are radical, since a lot of Democratic mayors have subcontracted out government services. But if a Republican does it it is "full retard?"
In Stothert's defense, she hasn't done any of this. It's just some lunatic teabagger group's suggestions.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM

177 posts, read 458,902 times
Quote:
Fair question. One area that needs to be addressed in the fire contract that Stothert negotiated which came in much more expensive than its original variant. I know Stothert has tried to shift the blame for that and I haven't followed it closely enough to say who is at fault, but regardless, there is probably some revisions that could be done in there. Outside of that, I'd be raising the property tax. I've long said that something of a middle point between the lowest tax rates and the pre-Hal Daub levels would be ideal.
Bosco, I don't imagine a tax increase would fare well for Stothert, considering a large percentage of the votes she received can be attributed to her promise to reduce property taxes. If she actually follows through with that, I think some noticeable steps would have to be taken to balance the budget. If I were a resident, I'm not sure how I'd feel about this. For one, I know I'd have to pay about $1,700 a year more in property taxes than I do now to have the same house in Omaha. On the other hand, one of the things that draws me to the area is the great level of services and amenities provided by the city. I have to wonder how significant an impact it would be if drastic cuts were made.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,193,587 times
The same people that voted for Stothert and want taxes cut are the ones that whine and moan about pot holes and slow snow removal. They are so blind as to how that stuff gets done it is hard to comprehend. Services like that cost money!!! When(if) our new Mayor starts slashing the budget I think a lot of people will wonder why things don't get fixed as fast or why their 192nd street still isn't being widened or why their cul-de-sac hasn't been plowed 3 days after a snow storm. Tough to have it both ways.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,734,106 times
Quote:
Uh, I think you should go reread your own link. Even bolded a real relevant part.
They DID NOT refer to themselves as "tea baggers." They used the term tea bag, but did not refer to themselves as "tea baggers." Read slowly now. Ask your mommy to help you with the big words.

From the link.

March 2
Americans for Prosperity, an anti-tax group, is one of the first Tea Party organizations to advocate sending tea bags to elected officials to protest the stimulus package. Several other lobby groups follow suit.

April 1
Several Tea Party protest sites encourage readers to "Tea bag the fools in DC." Jay Nordlinger at National Review Online later admits: "Conservatives started [using the term]... but others ran and ran with it."

April 9
Rachel Maddow is the first to mock the Tea Party's use of the phrase on her left-leaning MSNBC show. "Even Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina is getting in on the hot tea-bagging action," she says, stifling laughter. (Watch Rachel Maddow joke about the "tea baggers")

April 13
David Shuster, filling in for liberal commentator Keith Olbermann on MSNBC, also makes fun of the phrase. "While the parties are officially toothless, the tea-baggers are full-throated about their goals," he says. Jeff Poor at the Business and Media Insitute says that the MSNBC comments are "lost in juvenile criticism and ignoring the reason there is discontent from the conservative base"

Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,699,630 times
I may agree with your ideas and thoughts Bosco, however, I take extreme offense at your language. I am friends with people with mental disabilities, and people use words like retard to belittle them and enforce some bizarre status of non-person-hood. You honestly may as well have said that all of these policies are just so gay, or called the group a bunch of ****. Even if you disagree with a person's ideas, you have no authority nor any right to use words like this. Attack ideas, not people.

Now then, most of the ideas proposed by the NTF are extremely radical and likely not to be applied because of the effects it would have on the city. I sincerely doubt the council, and beyond that, most of the city, would allow any of it.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:49 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,554,583 times
bosco, considering people are earning less (thanks to Obama plunging us trillions into debt) I would say some tax cuts is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: