Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM

16 posts, read 39,214 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Omaha this summer with my two childrent (7 and 9 years old). I would love to live closer to downtown and am wondering about school options. I would love to go with the public school system, but based on GreatSchools.org and the Omaha Report (Omaha.com schools report | The pulse of public education in Douglas, Sarpy and Lancaster CountiesOmaha.com Schools Report), the majority of academically strong schools are out west. I would prefer not to have a long commute.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding private schools? I looked at Brownell but won't be able to afford it. I would consider a good Catholic school even though I am not Catholic. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM

152 posts, read 244,727 times
My wife & I having raised our kids, I can assure you of one certainty: What happens before your kids go to school, and after they come home, is FAR more important than the school they go to.

There are a lot of excellent elementary schools in the east part of Omaha. The problem is that, in each one, there will be underprivileged kids that will bring those all-important test scores down. But that doesn't mean the education offered is bad. Take Jackson School, on 31st & Leavenworth, for instance. The overwhelming majority of kids don't come from homes where English is their first language. How in sam hill do we think those kids are going to achieve the highest standardized test scores in Reading.

If you want to live in the east half of Omaha, do. You will be surrounded by plenty of excellent schools. What's most important is that YOU are invested in your kids' educations.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM

Thank you. I completely agree with you that parents play a huge role. Where did your kids go to school if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRidingHood View Post
Thank you. I completely agree with you that parents play a huge role. Where did your kids go to school if you don't mind me asking?
We didn't live in Omaha when my kids were in school.

I would recommend looking into Dundee Elementary - over on about 51st & California. I know that Mount View Elementary, at 52nd & Fort, is good. Florence Elementary, clear up near I-680, is also a good school.

I'm sure there are more.

Last edited by Old General; 03-10-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 PM

Thanks again for the recommendation. I was wondering how you judge whether a school is "good." I just looked up Mount View Elementary, for instance, and it is rated as a 1 out of 10. Its hispanic students comprise merely 7% of the student body, and yet only 50% of the students pass 5th-grade English reading tests. I am not sure the best teacher placed at a failing school like that would be able to devote the necessary attention to students that excel. My experience is that the attention, rightly so, is usually diverted to those students who need it most, at the expense of others.

While I agree that home is very important, the reality is that both I and my husband work full time and thus the majority of the children's time during the week is spent at school. Please forgive the polemic, as I really do appreciate your advice on schools--just trying to understand how you judge whether a school is "good."

Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRidingHood View Post
Thanks again for the recommendation. I was wondering how you judge whether a school is "good." I just looked up Mount View Elementary, for instance, and it is rated as a 1 out of 10. Its hispanic students comprise merely 7% of the student body, and yet only 50% of the students pass 5th-grade English reading tests. I am not sure the best teacher placed at a failing school like that would be able to devote the necessary attention to students that excel. My experience is that the attention, rightly so, is usually diverted to those students who need it most, at the expense of others.

While I agree that home is very important, the reality is that both I and my husband work full time and thus the majority of the children's time during the week is spent at school. Please forgive the polemic, as I really do appreciate your advice on schools--just trying to understand how you judge whether a school is "good."
Hmmm... We seem to have conflicting information. I'm seeing that almost 90% of 4th Graders (for instance) at Mount View are reading at "proficient" or better, despite it being only 9% white. What I do know is that it's a small school (less than 400 students) with Boys & Girls Clubs on site, in an almost new building, that is highly reputed among its peers. It is also historically Afro-Centric, which is why I would have my kids enrolled in that school, if they were still little (because of the fact that I'm white, not despite it).

If, however, you are looking for an elementary school that is better equipped for a dual income family to drop off their kids for the day, I would suggest looking further west.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
I went to howard kennedy. Is it still open? General you could spend the day there.. it is very afro centric.. but I wouldnt reccomend it and the thought of my daughter going there horrifies me. I also went to saunders (closed now) > It was a perfect fit. As for my reccomendation I have none... but this: you get to far east or north and your kids will be rubbing elbows with troubled youth... you get to far west and your kids will be rubbing elbows with fat heads. Oh and it may not matter... your kids may be bussed all the way across town to mix it up anyway. Do they still bus in O?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I went to howard kennedy. Is it still open? General you could spend the day there.. it is very afro centric.. but I wouldnt reccomend it and the thought of my daughter going there horrifies me. I also went to saunders (closed now) > It was a perfect fit. As for my reccomendation I have none... but this: you get to far east or north and your kids will be rubbing elbows with troubled youth... you get to far west and your kids will be rubbing elbows with fat heads. Oh and it may not matter... your kids may be bussed all the way across town to mix it up anyway. Do they still bus in O?
Being predominately black, and being afro-centric, are two entirely different things. In addition, since 2005, Kennedy Elementary has become a radically different school than you probably remember.

Here's the deal. Parents who are paranoid (this is NOT a remark about the OP) about where there kids go to school tend to be asshats who feel entitled, and expect schools to do everything for their kids that they're too lazy (or entitled) to do. You're going to find those parents in every single school in the country.

These elementary schools in the east half of Omaha are kind of like Omaha North High School. Both the lowest-performing students, and the highest-performing students are at the same school. Omaha North is an absolutely phenomenal school - provided do do the right thing.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
you get to far east or north and your kids will be rubbing elbows with troubled youth... you get to far west and your kids will be rubbing elbows with fat heads.
I got a chuckle out of this. To me a fat head is just as unbearable as a thug.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,934 times
What is a long commute to you? If 20 minutes is not a problem you could be out west easily... Also if your looking for a new home I'm a realtor here in town and could email you listings with your criteria...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: