Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,936 times

Advertisements

Well I just turned 18 and I have been living with my parents for about 2 years. I haven't been a good kid all up until 9 months ago, I started to shape up. Now that I am doing better and not sneaking out or doing drugs or any other illegal things, they are threatening to kick me out because of my attitude. I hate my parents so it wouldn't be bad if they kicked me out, but I don't know what I would have to do after that. My coach offered to take me in.. Could I move in with a friend? Do I need to get emancipated? Do they still have control over me? I read that if I went to like Iowa and stayed there for a little while they couldn't do anything.. I just have lots of legal questions. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 04:38 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiesue View Post
Well I just turned 18 and I have been living with my parents for about 2 years. I haven't been a good kid all up until 9 months ago, I started to shape up. Now that I am doing better and not sneaking out or doing drugs or any other illegal things, they are threatening to kick me out because of my attitude. I hate my parents so it wouldn't be bad if they kicked me out, but I don't know what I would have to do after that. My coach offered to take me in.. Could I move in with a friend? Do I need to get emancipated? Do they still have control over me? I read that if I went to like Iowa and stayed there for a little while they couldn't do anything.. I just have lots of legal questions. Please help!

If you have legal questions you need to speak with an attorney, which can be expensive. Look around for free legal counseling. Call United Way as a starting point. Also, try 311, or 211 in your area. They can provide access to free/low cost community based assistance programs. If you hate your parents so much why are you still there? Just walk out the door.....

Old 09-20-2016, 05:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
age 19 is legal age in NE. As long as you are a legal resident of NE you will be in violation of NE law.

19 (§43-2101)
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/...tatute=43-2101

there are ways to leave / become a legal resident of another state. (with a lessor age requirement)
here is another C-D thread (2009) on same topic
http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-nebraska.html

WHEN you leave, be very smart in how you choose your friends / room-mates / mentors.

"some will take you on" (down the correct path of progress)
"some will take you DOWN" a very long, dark, lonely, expensive, dangerous, difficult road.

At any point you realize you are going DOWN, make a U-turn at any cost! Your life depends on it.

for today... follow above advice;
Seek community assistance (may be very little available)
Get into a situation where you have a team that CARES about you! (That would not be a 'partner / boy-girlfriend / emotional attachment') It will be a couple or professional who will mentor / support, advise you.

The roles switched for me... I was kicked out at age 16. On my 18th B-day I became the caregiver for my disabled (Nebraska) parent. I had to go find a home for us, healthcare, support, food, transportation... and did that thanklessly for the next 32 yrs. Every waking moment being reminded how much my parent(s) despised me and anything related to me.

I survived, tho not very well.

You can get through this, there will be someone who will help you transform your thoughts and life to make you understand and live as the very valuable and special person you are. (which you are, even today... just need a little 'washing-up'. Sometimes that is painful.) Try not to make it S-L-O-W.

Do realize how painful it is for parents to watch a child follow (lead) on a path to destruction.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-20-2016 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: searched, NE Law...

Old 09-20-2016, 05:46 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:

Your 18, your an adult and can do whatever you want. HOWEVER sounds like from your own words of drugs and "illegal things" you deserve a lot of what your dealing with. You may be better now than you were then but that doesn't mean you don't deserve to get tossed out either. Check your attitude, now that your legally an adult you should practice acting like one. That means coming to terms with the fact that you spent a lot of years being a crappy son, start making up for it, you'll regret it later in life if you don't.

Good Luck

Old 09-21-2016, 02:09 AM

671 posts, read 854,146 times
Will you consider changing your attitude and being respectful and grateful towards your parents?

You need to attend college. Stay at home and focus on your education. The only thing that you should be doing is preparing for a career.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:16 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Legal questions can be answered by an attorney, no one here can give you any legal counsel or advice.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
If you have legal questions you need to speak with an attorney, which can be expensive. Look around for free legal counseling. Call United Way as a starting point. Also, try 311, or 211 in your area. They can provide access to free/low cost community based assistance programs. If you hate your parents so much why are you still there? Just walk out the door.....
Can they do anything about that

Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,745 times
Quote:
Can they do anything about that
Why would they want to ?

Old 09-21-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Why would they want to ?
I have no idea

Old 09-21-2016, 07:00 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Maybe call these folks and see what they offer Youth Emergency Services : What We Do : Youth Resources
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha