Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 12:15 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'll be taking a solo trip to Omaha on June 10th (for the first time) and I just had a few questions about the city!

1. Transportation: I won't be renting a car so I'll either have to take Public transit or the uber/lyft. But is there a bus line that goes from the airport to the Westroad Mall area?

2. Recreation: What do people in Omaha do for outdoor recreation? I notice there are a lot of hilly areas around the city. Are there any trails or anything like that?

3. Downtown: Would you suggest going Downtown alone? I'm use to walking around Downtown Denver, so I think I should be fine, but you never know in a place you've never been before.

4. Safety: Are there any areas that I should definitely stay away from? I'll be staying in the area around Westroad Mall. Would you say it's a generally safe area?

5. Weather: What's the weather like this time of year? Will it be pretty hot? I want to pack appropriately.

Just answer what you can. Thank you for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,941 times
1. There isn't any airport bus service on weekends. The 2 line on Dodge street runs back and forth between Westroads and Downtown fairly regularly.

2. There are a lot of running trails and parks in the city limits, but there are more city trails than nature walks. The trail along the Missouri River, Heartland of America Park and across the pedestrian bridge is popular, other than that lots of trails scattering the city and around smaller man made lakes. For something more nature filled Fontanelle Forest is a good one in Bellevue.

3. Downtown Omaha is very safe. Should have no trouble at all.

4. North Omaha is that area of the city. There isn't a reason that you would end up there though. Westroads is a very safe area.

5. Should be really nice. Potential for hot weather, but likely in the 80s with some above average humidity.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
2. Recreation: What do people in Omaha do for outdoor recreation? I notice there are a lot of hilly areas around the city. Are there any trails or anything like that?
I guess it depends on what you mean by outdoor recreation. As Jacob mentioned, there are many trails and bike paths throughout the area. Also, don't forget the Iowa side as there is some fantastic outdoor activities in Council Bluffs too, including Lewis & Clark Park and Manawa State Park.

If you're interested in military history at all, the Strategic Air Command Museum and Freedom Park are two of my favorites.

Quote:
3. Downtown: Would you suggest going Downtown alone? I'm use to walking around Downtown Denver, so I think I should be fine, but you never know in a place you've never been before.
You'll be fine. Just exercise the same level of common sense you would in Downtown Denver and you will be in no danger.

Quote:
4. Safety: Are there any areas that I should definitely stay away from? I'll be staying in the area around Westroad Mall. Would you say it's a generally safe area?
There really aren't any areas to avoid. Jacob mentioned North Omaha and he might be right on some level, but the problem is that what is actually North Omaha (between about 16th to 30th in the northeast quadrant of the city) and what most people think is North Omaha (everything north of Dodge and east of 72nd street) are two very different things. Using the later definition would have you miss arguably the best park of the city.

You might also want to check out the Omaha Visitor Guide (PDF warning) here https://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...78b562dd0c.pdf

Old 05-29-2017, 03:55 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
It's too bad you couldn't put off your trip to the 17th, OP. The reason I say that is the College World Series cranks up in Omaha. It goes from the 17th to the 28th. TD Ameritrade has replaced Rosenblatt Stadium. Omaha has had a triple A baseball club for decades.

Or if baseball isn't your thing, go visit one of the top 5 zoos in the United States and that would be the Henry Doorly Zoo.

I'm with McBain II regarding the city itself, I feel pretty safe regardless wherever I am in Omaha. JMO.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:29 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Also, the Durham Museum is a great way to spend an afternoon. The timing is always off, the college World Series is something I want to attend. The Old Market district is also worth wandering around.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Thanks for the responses!

I'm sad to hear that I'll just miss the College World Series. That sounds like it would be really fun But I think I'll have a great time regardless. My brother is actually coming with me now, so I think I'll be able to do more stuff that I wouldn't just do alone. Im definitely thinking about checking out the zoo now.

Also if anyone has suggestion on places to eat, let me know!

Last edited by Mezter; 05-30-2017 at 09:39 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Im definitely thinking about checking out the zoo now.
Don't miss it.

Trust us.

Quote:
Also if anyone has suggestion on places to eat, let me know!
What kind of food do you enjoy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha