Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,785 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are heavily considering moving back "home" - we left about 10 years ago to move to WA State but find that we miss our families, the lower cost of living, and the lack of heavy traffic like we experience out here.

I'm curious as to how much the city has changed in the past decade. What have we missed out on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:06 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,526,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfreezeray View Post
My husband and I are heavily considering moving back "home" - we left about 10 years ago to move to WA State but find that we miss our families, the lower cost of living, and the lack of heavy traffic like we experience out here.

I'm curious as to how much the city has changed in the past decade. What have we missed out on?
Well, you've missed out on many roadway projects, which is good you missed the construction traffic. There is still are quite a few more though.

Since 2000 you've missed out on 3 billion+ in downtown development. (someone correct me if I am off)

And then a whole crap load of suburban developments. It's no different than the growth of any other city.

Sorry to be so vague, but what exactly were you wondering in terms of change?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfreezeray View Post

I'm in the same boat as you. I left in April of 2002 and now I'm just counting down the days until I can come back.

Probably the biggest thing you missed were the previously mentioned downtown improvements and the First National Tower that replaced the Woodmen as the tallest building in the state.

Oh, and don't forget Midtown Crossing, which just opened.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Sorry to be so vague, but what exactly were you wondering in terms of change?
Part of the reason why we left was because there just wasn't a whole lot to do back then besides going to the mall, seeing a movie, or drinking with friends. I'm interested in knowing if there's more to do and how the city has changed. I know there's a Costco there now and Starbucks, etc. but how are things looking these days as far as entertainment goes?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:25 PM

53 posts, read 235,225 times
The Qwest Center has brought in many concerts and events, and made Creighton games a "place" to be on game nights. They hosted NCAA tournament games and even the Olympic swim trials, which will return in 2012.

The Holland Performing Arts Center is a great facility also located downtown.

Of course there is going to be the new baseball stadium downtown (TD Ameritrade Park) for Creighton games and the College World Series. Depends on how you rate this on the entertainment scale, but it will definitely be a big deal when it opens in 2011.

I'm sure there are others that people will think of, but these are definitely three large ones when it comes to entertainment.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:11 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,526,544 times
As always, I would strongly suggest starting a thread in the "welcome to Omaha" section of www.EOmahaforums.com.

You will see every bit of Omaha development broken down into geographicals sections of the metro to its individual projects.

To answer your question, yes, there is much more to do. Obviously we can't build mountains or oceans, so that type of thing will always be lacking. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha