Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times

Advertisements

like there isnt enough places to buy alcohol and beer in omaha

=-=========================================

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: Metro/Region - Alcohol at Walgreens?

Alcohol at Walgreens?
By Maggie O'Brien
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
« Metro/RegionRSS SHARE

Walgreens' one-stop shopping philosophy may soon include the chance to buy a six-pack of beer and a bottle of wine.

The drugstore chain is asking the City Council to recommend liquor licenses for 20 of its Omaha stores. The chain wants to sell beer and wine.

The proposal comes as another major retailer, CVS pharmacy, prepares to move into the Omaha market.

At least four CVS stores are scheduled to open next year — three in Omaha and one in Bellevue. Some CVS outlets sell alcohol along with drugstore items.

“I can see where they are trying to sell alcohol to be competitive,” Councilwoman Jean Stothert said Wednesday of Walgreens. Her southwest district includes four Walgreens that want liquor licenses. “It's a business decision.”

If the licenses are approved, it would mark a successful first step toward selling alcohol at Walgreens stores in Nebraska. The chain recently began selling beer and wine at 63 of its Iowa locations, including the three in Council Bluffs.

The company has 54 stores in Nebraska, 27 of them in Omaha. Robert Elfinger, a spokesman for the Deerfield, Ill.-based chain, said the company eventually wants to sell beer and wine at all of them.

Stothert, along with Councilmen Chris Jerram and Pete Festersen, are concerned that allowing so many Walgreens to sell alcohol might create problems in neighborhoods where liquor stores are abundant.

Elfinger said that if the Omaha licenses are approved, alcohol would make up a small part of Walgreens' retail space. Stores would not sell spirits, 40-ounce bottles of beer or other individual cans or bottles of beer.

“This is simply a very moderate selection of beer and wine . . . less than 2 percent of the total shelf space,” he said.

Another issue for the council could be the density of Walgreens locations in Omaha. In some cases, the stores are only blocks apart.

“If you live in Omaha, you know that Walgreens have been popping up. . . . They're everywhere,” said Diane Riibe, executive director for Project Extra Mile, a group that fights underage drinking. “Now they're a liquor store. It's going to be a large enforcement problem.”

Advertising

Neighborhood leaders have long been concerned about the number of liquor stores east of 72nd Street.

Jerram's midtown and downtown district includes three Walgreens that could sell beer and wine.

“If you look around midtown, we already have an incredible amount of (liquor) outlets,” he said. “It's troubling.”

Festersen, who represents Florence, Benson and part of Dundee, said each of the 20 Walgreens locations up for liquor licenses would be considered individually rather than as a group. His district includes three Walgreens stores hoping to sell alcohol.

The council could recommend approving the licenses on Tuesday, but the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission will have the final say.

This week, Walgreens applied for liquor licenses at two Nebraska stores — one in York and one near Papillion.

“It's part of a national rollout,” Elfinger said. “It's really to provide convenience to our existing customers.”

Walgreens has been in the alcohol business before. The chain had a full liquor department until the 1990s, when management decided to do away with it. “At the time, it was very cumbersome,” he said.

Things are different now, Elfinger added. First, the store's alcohol would be limited to beer and wine. Second, advances in technology will make it easier for store managers to track inventory and prevent sales to minors.

A public hearing will be held at Tuesday's council meeting. Meetings are at 2 p.m. in the City-County Building, 1819 Farnam St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I just stumbled across this. The funny thing is in Phoenix, AZ where I am from, all the Walgreens sold alcohol. However, in Vegas they don't. Go figure. Hopefully you will be able to get it in Omaha.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Yeah I'm cheering for Omaha too. But here in Virginia I know you can get wine in grocery stores but no hard liquor that's a state run store called VABC. I don't see any difference between a Walgreens selling it and a grocery store honestly.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,231 times
Sounds great. I love going to Walgreens. This could encourage me to go there even more. Smart move on their part.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Almost every gas station/convenience store sells it anymore. I'm not a drinker, but I don't fault Walgreens for wanting to sell it.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Jesus, I can't even believe this is the issue. Give them the license already, sheesh.

On a side note, I really hate Jean Stothert.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:37 PM

31 posts, read 81,199 times
yeah being the only one here that actually works at walgreens (no really i do) im not looking forward to having to call a code 19 whenever some drunk slob comes in and wants to buy alcohol because yes im under age im also not looking forward to the possible crime increase and i dont want that happening in papillion which is obviously where my walgreens is so yeah...not to excited about this

Old 12-17-2009, 04:46 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Jesus, I can't even believe this is the issue. Give them the license already, sheesh.

On a side note, I really hate Jean Stothert.

why do you hate Stothert? cause she is a republican?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
why do you hate Stothert? cause she is a republican?
I hate Stothert because she is a grandstanding **** who can't get her face in front of the camera enough and panders to the tax cranky base despite how stupid the stance may be. It's pretty clear she's trying to shore up her base for a mayoral run in the future.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:56 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I tend to think of Walgreens as WalMart with less floor space, and I don't like either one very much. So whether or not they sell hooch is irrelevant to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha