Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
...There are two basically types of Californians: those who live along the coast and those who wish they did. ...
Not so fast.

Yes, the coast is beautiful but not all inlanders hate their lives.

If you live farther inland, there are upsides including:
  • less June gloom.. or gloom during any month. Good for some SAD people and those unafflicted who just want more sunshine.
  • lower COL; for some, it's worth it to live inland, save more of their $ and spread it around to other investments or activities, and hit the beach every/other weekend or so.
  • closer to some other natural attractions: Joshua Tree SP and other desert parks in SoCal; the Sierras in both SoCal and NorCal.
  • closer to unnatural attractions: VEGAS, BABY! VEGAS!!!
I don't want to turn this into a comparison thread but the OP might be happy down the street from the beach or well inland of it.

Barring there being an accident on R17, I can be at the beach in about 45 minutes and with a scenic drive through the Santa Cruz Mountains, at that. However, I'm often happy going somewhere else on Saturday .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Plenty of in-staters who think it's a big deal too. There are two basically types of Californians: those who live along the coast and those who wish they did. I've met very few who'd say "yeah I could live on the coast but I really prefer the Inland Empire".

you seem to assume that there is ONLY the beach..and the Inland Empire...far from true

we live maybe 15 miles from the ocean...tried Newport Beach for a year and hated the traffic etc..and yes..the gloomy weather many days til 2pm

my definition of the Inland Empire is not even Orange County..but Riverside or San Berdo..a nightmare of a drive down the 91

perhaps by your defintion I live "by the coast"...

Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
having a FastTrak is essential if you plan on living in the Inland Empire and taking the 91. Caveat i've seen tolls as high as $10.00 But when you put it in perspective the Verrazon Bridge toll is $13.00.

There are some very nice communities in the Inland Empire. Chino Hills instantly comes to mind and is only a 35 minute drive to the beach (with light traffic)

Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 PM

143 posts, read 431,547 times
How about Pacific Beach in San Diego County? Certainly is a college town, on the beach with lots of funky stores along Main Street.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Don't rule out Berkeley. It's not very cold in the winter, and still pretty sunny. Weather.com says it's mid to upper 60's and mostly sunny this week...

Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Speaking of Pacific, if you didn't need it so warm and sunny, Pacific Grove on the Monterey Peninsula might work for you.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
you seem to assume that there is ONLY the beach..and the Inland Empire...far from true
Yeah I guess there are those closer places East of the 5 that they told us about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County