Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 07:09 AM

102 posts, read 147,208 times

Advertisements

I have been with Union Bank for over 6 years, and on Friday when I went to check my account I found out someone in the UK had drained my checking and savings account.

They called me 15 min. after the first charge, but the thing that makes me most mad is at that point when they red flagged my acct they did not block my account. I called fraud dept of Union bank and some jerk (yes he was being a jerk) said without my permission they could not block my card. Which I know is a lie. When the red box first came out and I rented a movie from it they blocked my card for 3.00. But now 1526.00 has been stolen from my acct. Plus I have to wait for the charges to clear before I can file a claim to get my money back. Included in that was my rent money. This person even bought a bus or train ticket in the UK with my money. All the websites that the fraud charges are from are from the UK, sites I have never heard of.

Can anyone suggest a different bank to bank with, as soon as I get my money back I am closing my account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 AM

199 posts, read 618,639 times
We've always had good relationships with Chase and Wells Fargo. Stay away from BOA.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THANKGOODNESSIMFABULOUS View Post
I have been with Union Bank for over 6 years, and on Friday when I went to check my account I found out someone in the UK had drained my checking and savings account.

They called me 15 min. after the first charge, but the thing that makes me most mad is at that point when they red flagged my acct they did not block my account. I called fraud dept of Union bank and some jerk (yes he was being a jerk) said without my permission they could not block my card. Which I know is a lie. When the red box first came out and I rented a movie from it they blocked my card for 3.00. But now 1526.00 has been stolen from my acct. Plus I have to wait for the charges to clear before I can file a claim to get my money back. Included in that was my rent money. This person even bought a bus or train ticket in the UK with my money. All the websites that the fraud charges are from are from the UK, sites I have never heard of.

Can anyone suggest a different bank to bank with, as soon as I get my money back I am closing my account?
Did you use a debit card for purchases over the internet?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
I would try to find some sort of credit union if you can.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 AM

102 posts, read 147,208 times
I did use a my debit card over the internet. The horrible part is I have been purchasing items on ebay and amazon for years through paypal and never had any problems. But I found a site that had some shoes my sons wanted for a better price and this is what I get for trying to save a couple of dollars.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I would try to find some sort of credit union if you can.
^^^This is the best advice.

At least Union Bank still offers free checking accounts with no minimum balance or direct deposit requirements. However, it sounds like they're seriously lacking in the customer service area.

Also, it might be a good idea for the OP to use a credit card when making online purchases, as opposed to a debit card that's tied to your bank account.

Last edited by Dennis P; 12-08-2011 at 11:02 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THANKGOODNESSIMFABULOUS View Post

There has been several posts now asking for suggestions on banks to use and usually from people with few posts. I find this a little disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County