Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 AM

63 posts, read 230,469 times

Advertisements

We have a contact on our house in Miami

We are ready to find our new home in OC before school starts! We may rent, we may buy, but the main driving force is the school district. We hope to not have to move school districts once we settle in. Like many, I fell in love with Laguna Beach. We live on the water in Miami and being coastal felt more like home for me, but my husband keeps gravitating towards Tustin. We know for the same money we can buy a much bigger house in Tustin, but it's all about school and environment at this stage for us.

Both Laguna Beach (Laguna Beach High) and Tustin (Arnold Beckman and Foothill) have great schools, but the difference is the size and the demographics. Miami is is big and extremely diverse and we are used to that, just as long as it's safe we enjoy it. We actually live near a "village", Miami Shores, that has a very small feel but we are 10 min away from the beach, midtown, airport and have all the restaurants, pubs, and bars one could want nearby. I think we would adjust better if we are not too far from these things in California.

I understand the bigger schools have more to offer as far as extra curricular activities but I think smaller is better. Both my girls go to very small schools here in Miami, but I am open to whatever is better for my girls.

How is the environment for kids and families in
Laguna Beach?
Tustin?

Any feedback or experiences (good or bad) with
Laguna Beach High?
Foothill High?
Arnold Beckman High?

Any opinions, experiences, and feedback is greatly appreciated. I find it extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 AM

55 posts, read 122,658 times
Personally, I'd pick Laguna Beach. That city has its own personality, especially if you're into the Arts.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Thank you for your reply. I like Laguna Beach too and the smaller schools but we will definately have to sacrifice on home size. I trying to get input before we make our fnal decision.

I hear a lot about Laguna Beach but not much about Tustin and what it has to offer besides more home affordability?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,696,405 times
Op for a smaller home and live in LB**. Tustin doesn't have a lot to offer. As far as schools -- did you look into Irvine (another boring place to live, along with Tustin) and Mission Viejo? You need to decide which is more important: schools or large home, and go from there. [I don't think LB or Tustin offer the best schools in OC -- but I haven't researched it lately and I could be very wrong.]

**THE big problem with LB is that, if you and/or your spouse are working in more central or north or even south OC, the commute out of LB in the morning and into LB in the later aftn is a real *itch.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:16 AM

699 posts, read 1,345,586 times
If those are the only two choices, LB for the adults, Tustin for the kids. At this stage, it's about the kids.

I'd look closely at Tustin Ranch (which feeds Beckman High). It's an extremely nice setup for families. You'd feel safe having them venture out on their bikes. I can't say the same for Laguna, which is our favorite beach.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Again Thank you for the reply. All this information is so helpful.

My husband travels for work. He does have an office to go to once in a while in Santa Ana but since it's not an everyday thing, commute time is not a huge issue. Just as long it's less than an hour. I plan to find work once we are settled, but since he is gone often I have to find something that works around their schedule. It's not a priority. I'm resourceful. I am sure I will find something.

You are right, Irvine has the best schools in OC but I am looking for quality of life and balance. Both Tustin and Laguna Beach do have great schools with high SAT scores and great ratings and test scores. I drove by Irvine. Aside from feeling sterile, I honestly don't like that the schools are so big or that they are 50-80% asian. I am of a minority race. We have friends here that are like family that we love who are asian, indian, central and South American and from many other countries. We enjoy the diversity but I would hate for my children or my family to feel outcasted or not included in any way. I also hear there is an intense atmosphere of competitiveness in Irvine. Of course I want my children to thrive, but most importantly I want them to be happy so I don't want to sign up for that.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 PM

32 posts, read 44,689 times
I grew up in Laguna Niguel and Dana Point area (which is bordering Laguna Beach). I would go Laguna Beach hands down. If anything its better for the kids too. From my experience, growing up at the beach was an amazing experience. In the summer we went every day. Its free! The Laguna Beach environment can be a little snobby at times, but there is really not much to do in Tustin, just like any other suburb surrounding the Orange County beaches. I would try to stick with cities that touch the coast. They tend to have better demographics and lower crime, more intelligent people (this sometimes also brings in matierialism but you will get that everywhere in socal.), and a more laid back beach vibe. Who needs a bigger house to buy more things to put in anyways? Laguna Beach enables a more simplified lifestyle, and most are able to walk to the beach. Best beaches in socal hands down (besides La Jolla). The only problems are the tourist season makes driving anywhere in Laguna a hassle, but the town also doesnt require much driving around for the locals and you get to know the side streets/neighborhoods.

Have you looked into surrounding areas? I personally went to Dana Hills High School, which I thought was an incredible level of education comparatively speaking. I was very involved in the AP classes/advanced courses and I was one of only two students in those circles who did not start off at a very prestigious four year school after graduation (and only because my parents had me start out at community college... Saddleback College which is also a very high caliber of education).

Laguna Niguel is a pretty boring suburb for teenagers but the beach is close and the sports are well organized when it is not summer so theres enough to do to keep busy (on top of school work). The area is GREAT for families, and there are a lot of safe, great, social, friendly neighborhoods. Now is a good time to buy in the area and prices low.

But if your choices are narrowed down to Tustin and LB, for everyones sake do not go with Tustin... you will just be driving to the beach anyways, you might as well walk to the best secret local beaches and enjoy the local scene. Locals are not incredibly welcoming of inlanders anyways

Old 07-06-2014, 12:28 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,488,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Op for a smaller home and live in LB**. Tustin doesn't have a lot to offer. As far as schools -- did you look into Irvine (another boring place to live, along with Tustin) and Mission Viejo? You need to decide which is more important: schools or large home, and go from there. [I don't think LB or Tustin offer the best schools in OC -- but I haven't researched it lately and I could be very wrong.]

**THE big problem with LB is that, if you and/or your spouse are working in more central or north or even south OC, the commute out of LB in the morning and into LB in the later aftn is a real *itch.
Actually, neither Tustin nor Irvine would be boring for kids. They are both family-oriented places.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:30 PM

We loved the homes and easy beach access of Laguna Niguel area bordering Dana Point but both Dana Point High and Aliso Niguel High have 3000 students! I went to a huge school like that here in Miami and I don't want that for my kids. We are loosing the waterfront home and the boating in Miami for this move. I would hate to loose the beach too! We don't live inland here, which is also way cheaper, why would we want to move inland there?

This is the question I was trying to explore. The why people do it, other than more affordable housing?

I agree with the "less is more" lifestyle. You are confirming all my feelings. Thank you! I just wanted to explore my husbands idea of Tustin thoroughly, but I think he is just struggling with the idea of the huge downsize in home size. I think in the long term he will appreciate the lower maintenance a smaller home requires. In a blink of an eye our kids will be in College and our small home and neighborhood will fit us perfectly

Old 07-06-2014, 01:05 PM

699 posts, read 1,345,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellamiami View Post
Again Thank you for the reply. All this information is so helpful.

My husband travels for work. He does have an office to go to once in a while in Santa Ana but since it's not an everyday thing, commute time is not a huge issue. Just as long it's less than an hour. I plan to find work once we are settled, but since he is gone often I have to find something that works around their schedule. It's not a priority. I'm resourceful. I am sure I will find something.

You are right, Irvine has the best schools in OC but I am looking for quality of life and balance. Both Tustin and Laguna Beach do have great schools with high SAT scores and great ratings and test scores. I drove by Irvine. Aside from feeling sterile, I honestly don't like that the schools are so big or that they are 50-80% asian. I am of a minority race. We have friends here that are like family that we love who are asian, indian, central and South American and from many other countries. We enjoy the diversity but I would hate for my children or my family to feel outcasted or not included in any way. I also hear there is an intense atmosphere of competitiveness in Irvine. Of course I want my children to thrive, but most importantly I want them to be happy so I don't want to sign up for that.
Really depends on where in Irvine. The TUSD side of Irvine (north of Culver) is more Tustin-esque, more diverse, much more community oriented. Many of the extra-curricular activities (Scouts, sports) track with school districts, so we spend quite a bit of time with Tustin Ranch families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County