Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times

Advertisements

If the OC market is so hot why am I seeing price reductions on a huge number of properties and also DOM north of 40+ days? Has the market lost it's steam? I realize we are going into winter but I doubt it should slow down this much... something is up. My theory is that buyers are just fed up with the whole thing and sitting on the sidelines, investors have already scavenged what they have to, china speculators have also bought what they wanted and demand from that angle has subsided.

Another theory is that sellers are aggressively wanting to sell before interest rates edge up and demand weakens.

If interest rates edge up (and I realize it's short term rates going up and not sure how it will affect long term but let's assume long term rates rise as well) in December, then I am thinking demand will subside further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 12:00 AM

936 posts, read 2,081,618 times
You can see that inventory is generally higher than one year ago. Median listing prices are slightly higher in general but in some cities they are actually lower.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
If the OC market is so hot why am I seeing price reductions on a huge number of properties and also DOM north of 40+ days? Has the market lost it's steam? I realize we are going into winter but I doubt it should slow down this much... something is up. My theory is that buyers are just fed up with the whole thing and sitting on the sidelines, investors have already scavenged what they have to, china speculators have also bought what they wanted and demand from that angle has subsided.

Another theory is that sellers are aggressively wanting to sell before interest rates edge up and demand weakens.

If interest rates edge up (and I realize it's short term rates going up and not sure how it will affect long term but let's assume long term rates rise as well) in December, then I am thinking demand will subside further.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2015 at 05:45 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 09:41 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Seasonality exists in real estate.

The LA market is completely crushing.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Some price reductions are simply because people overshot the listing price and the market spoke

Old 11-02-2015, 12:41 AM

121 posts, read 183,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Some price reductions are simply because people overshot the listing price and the market spoke
Seeing a lot of this right now.

Demand is still very high here in South OC.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCerik View Post
Seeing a lot of this right now.

Demand is still very high here in South OC.

It's normal. People read too much into a market/house price anyway. The sellers get drunk on the value, added to a emotional sale or greed, along with a possible excited agent who may of been overly optimistic you may get a overpriced listing.
But when nothing happens in the first week or second and you're listed for 8 weeks with no action sellers get a rude awakening.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:57 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It's normal. People read too much into a market/house price anyway. The sellers get drunk on the value, added to a emotional sale or greed, along with a possible excited agent who may of been overly optimistic you may get a overpriced listing.
But when nothing happens in the first week or second and you're listed for 8 weeks with no action sellers get a rude awakening.
the desirable areas are always hot

Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the desirable areas are always hot
That just isn't the case, and that type of thinking leads some to over price their home when selling. Then, they are surprised that it just sits on the market.

I posted the following on another thread. BTW, look at very desirable Laguna Beach. It's not "hot."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
According to the OC Register, third quarter selling price changes for 2015 varied by city, and even then, by zip code for Irvine and Santa Ana.

With the exception of Irvine 92602, the "hottest" markets were the relatively inexpensive areas of Santa Ana, Stanton and Anaheim.

The "coldest" markets were in Irvine 92618, Laguna Beach 92651, Irvine 92620, Laguna Woods and Ladera Ranch.

Housing's HOT summer: When sales were on fire - The Orange County Register

Old 11-06-2015, 01:42 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
So how come they don't cancel the latest developments in Lake Forest? or Irvine? in Lake Forest, they are leveling hills

Old 11-06-2015, 03:00 PM

66 posts, read 70,104 times
The industry is overpricing the market by 14%. We are almost nearing the peak of 2007
Real Estate is analyzed a million times over and experts don't have any crystal ball. Rates should have been adjusted years ago to keep prices in check, Bernanke screwed up big time now Yellen is doing nothing and waiting until the credit market fails than will put on the blame. Here we go again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County