Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,695 times

Advertisements

Hello. We have been living in the same apt since 2007. Moves out last month. During our stay at this complex, we have had several leaks in the kitchen and bathroom. These were reported to the management ( apt had about 6 managers since we've lived there ). Each time, the maintance guy would come to patch up the leak. But over the years, we continued to have the same problem. Through all these years, they have Denise's any kind of upgrades or replacements. Our carpet and kitchen flooring was never replaced even though I requested over and over. Because out lease ended and we were month to month, she said we weren't top priority and it would take time to do anything to the apt.
we finally decided to move out. But now I recieived a notice that we owe $1100 doe drywall repair in bathroom as well as under the sink cabinet that has been damaged. The cabinet under the sink was where one of the leaks was, and over the years the particleboard just turned to mush. Now they want us to pay for that $600. The dry wall in the bathroom is from a leak in the bathroom. With both of these problems, I have called several times and they would come to patch things up. And now we are being charged. Is there any hope if I fought this ? Everyone has suggested I fight this in small claims but undortunately i don't have any copies of my requests thT were made in writing and or voicemail. I also Did not take any photos when I left. Please no negative comments. I just don't think this is fair that because things were not repaired correctly the first time, we are now at fault
Any advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 11:25 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,986 times
I think it's hard without documentation, but you should still be able to fight this. I would call the Fair Housing Council/Foundation and see what your options are. They helped me when my landlord sued me only to tell me the day before the hearing that she didn't have time to go to court! Excuse me, you're the one suing me (I countersued)!

Fair Housing Foundation
Los Angeles County Office
3605 Long Beach Blvd., Ste 302
Long Beach, CA 90807
Phone: (562) 989-1206
Toll Free: (800) 446-3247

Orange County Office
2300 E. Katella Avenue, Ste 405
Anaheim, CA 92806
Phone: (714) 918-8001
Toll Free: (800) 446-3247

Old 09-09-2016, 11:28 PM

Thank you so much. I'm not trying to fight to get money from them. I just don't feel it's right what they are trying to do to me. Thank you ! I will def reach out to that # you gave on Monday !

Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 PM

What happened in your situation. If you don't mind me asking

Old 09-21-2016, 11:47 AM

823 posts, read 1,784,986 times
The landlady and I both showed up at Santa Ana court. I had countersued and was ready to fight my case. She and I talked briefly then asked an attendant about backing out of the lawsuit. We were told to just go home if the landlady didn't want to proceed, so we did. I got my full security deposit back (minus a few bucks--don't know why).

Old 09-21-2016, 11:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
They need to send a itemized letter of deductions within 21 days of you vacating/returning the property. Have they done that or have they gone past the 21 day rule?

If not simply send a letter of demand for full deposit return due to 21 day return clause.

If they have returned the partial deposit and sent a letter then get your records of repair requests and file for a small claims court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County