Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 PM

961 posts, read 2,567,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Thank you for the explanation. So Cal liberalism (especially in OC) can't hold a candle to the Nor Cal version. To put it bluntly, you ain't gonna find it here, even in Laguna, which is undergoing demo shifts itself.

Just look at the election returns from OC as they pertain to Prop 8. I include a graphic for your convenience.

Your people aren't down here. You hear that, DH?
lol! Thanks Fontucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
What about the employment situation? Where will that be? (This may have been mentioned in other threads but I don't remember.)

Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM

If we were in southern California, DH would work out of Pomona.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
We met a few people like this in OC, who claim to be "tree hugging vegetarian liberals"....However come to find out, they aren't really being "tree hugging vegetarian liberals" to help others, they are basically just trying to limit how many times they eat junk food and want to shop at the latest store with "Green" or "Environmental" in the title...

Nothing like NorCal can be found down in SoCal...trust me it's 2 completely different souls.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-19-2009 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
I am researching Orange County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
If we were in southern California, DH would work out of Pomona.

That sounds pretty bad. Are sure you (but ask your husband) want OC? Google maps says 90 minutes one way in traffic and that's from Irvine - anything further south would be worse.

Any differences between liberal vs conservative are in the noise compared to the hassle of the commute.

Last edited by Charles; 02-20-2009 at 05:32 AM..

Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
So much for open minds and free exchange of ideas. No matter where you live you're not going to find a place where everyone agrees with your personal views. I don't know of many places where people get into other people's business like with enviromentalism or vegan. Wouldn't it be more sensible to live where you like or where the work and money is and do what you can to help your little part of the world? Do you find it distasteful to be around people who eat meat or only has a dash of enviromentalism? Based upon what you've posted here it appears you should be moving to San Francisco, Berkeley, or Seattle.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
I was just thinking that there are pockets of like-minded kindred spirits in many unexpected places.

In OC? I bet if there's a health food store there or a yoga studio or a holistic or alternative practice that like-minded people can be found for friendship and support. In a large metro area like So CA there are bound to be folks eager to make your acquaintance who share your values.

Of course, there are more, per capita, in No CA but still, I'm sure you could find kinship and community in So CA, too. I wouldn't rule it out if that's where employment is to be found.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks for your reply LittleDolphin,

You are right and we did find pockets of kindred spirits in San Diego, but I didn't like to be such a minority when it came to my values. DH can work in several different offices in CA and he works from home 3 days a week so we have a lot of options. We're going to focus on Northern California.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Last edited by jaynetarzana; 02-20-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think there may be other parts of the state that will please you more than OC> I am a little bothered by a comment you made: like minded, shouldn't your kids be exposed to all ways of thinking??
You can not protect them from others views foever.. Are you worried that if they hear others views on life you may lose control?

Nita
Why would you be bothered by what someone else wants to do? If a Chinese person wanted to live in a "Chinatown" so they could be near the food, shopping, and cultural activities they are familiar with, that sounds like the same thing to me.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 21,409 times
You'll find people like you everywhere in OC. Read the OC Weekly.

People around here really stay out of each other's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County