Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:48 PM

16 posts, read 121,714 times

Advertisements

Just curious what the average person has to say about this topic. I know what many realtors have to say. A neighbor realtor delights in telling others in the neighborhood that we are 'low-cost' so people shouldn't use us. Hmmm.... I find that to be confusing. Don't all people want full service and want to pay lower commissions to realtors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I've heard stories about people actually going the opposite way, that is, paying a realtor more than a normal commission. The theory is, for the extra say 1% the seller pays the realtor, the seller gets a lot more service out of the realtor, marketing the home.

Maybe it's worth it in a down market. Ask someone trying to sell a $500K home if it would be worth it so pay an extra $5K to increase the probability that 1) Their home gets sold in one month instead of nine months and 2) They could get a higher sales price.

Pay more to sell a home faster - MSN Money

Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,607 times
going the high road on service for full fee is tough. real tough. People want to know your opinion on price and will decide on THAT. As if the agents value was in the price they quoted to sell the home. Yeah, they want less costs and there is some validity to that but what blows my mind is the absolute error in thought that a realtor is a "key" or pass to the MLS. There is a company that PAYS the BUYER 75% of the commission because the buyer found the home. REDICULOUS. What about client privilages and service. Man, people are truly missing out on the services and privilages of knowing a good agent. High commissions play into that and really its not for the agent but the brokerage. What difference should it make how much I get paid to take care of a client. If I am sucessful at all (and most agents are simply NOT) then I will be very well reinmbursed even at 5% or lower assuming my broker is not scaming me for the money I earn

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Actually a bigger issue than commission is how they get you to price your house. The real sharpies will recommend a lower one so the property moves quickly and they get paid right away. An additional $10K selling price means a lot more to you than to them at 6%. Gotta watch those guys.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:07 PM

694 posts, read 1,232,868 times
Jenell, the forum indicates that this thread has been reactivated.
Is it an effective marketing tool, has it provided any leads for you?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
If you've only got $30k in the property and a full commission is going to cost you $50k, you bet there's incentive to find a discount broker.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 AM

Well, discount brokerage usually means newer, less experienced agents and less marketing, advertising and overall service.
You get what you pay for, especially in this tough market.

If selling makes the difference between going into foreclosure, losing your home equity and credit standing or not,
you might want to reconsider the use of discount brokerage.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:07 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Well considering that the most important marketing vehicle for homes is the sign in the front yard (yes, that's a fact) I'm not sure the higher commission realtor is that advantageous. Most of these guys make their money on generating listings (the real reason they hold open houses) and then flipping the properties as quickly as they can by getting the seller to go for a low price.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well considering that the most important marketing vehicle for homes is the sign in the front yard (yes, that's a fact)
What do you mean by important? Please be specific, using numbers or metrics. Also, integrate online real estate tools (databases, websites, ect such as realtor.com or redfin.com) into your response.

Buying or selling a home? Forget the traditional realtor : Updates : The Rocky Mountain News

This article below is about a year and half old.

Real Estate Marketing – 75 Percent of People Buy Their Home Online - Realtors - are You Ready?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by CAVA1990
"Well considering that the most important marketing vehicle for homes is the sign in the front yard (yes, that's a fact) I'm not sure the higher commission realtor is that advantageous"....

So it happens that I have a statistical pie right here and it indicates:

Buyer sources used in searching for a home:

Real estate agent 41%
Yard sign 17%
Internet 16%
Friend, relative, neighbor 7%
Home builder 7%
Newspaper 5%
Knew seller 5%
Book/Home Magazine 2%

So, while the yard sign is indeed sufficiently important at 17%, the agent still counts for 41%.
Are you willing to make a bet on discount brokerage service for 41% of a successful home sale?

Guys, this might be the wrong time to promote low commission brokerage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County