Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:56 PM

18 posts, read 64,060 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband has been offered a job in CA, Yorba Linda. We currently live in a small city (Fort Mill) South Carolina of which I have grown to love, it's relatively safe where we live to the point where you can leave your door open. It's clean, and on the whole the people are friendly with the exception of a few that are a little rude and wary of outsiders to say the least.

We are from England originally and miss the English humor and the diversity regarding ethnicity in this part of the country. We do like the city but do not want to live in the city if you get my drift. I would be grateful for any advise given to where would be a nice, clean, friendly, diverse, and low tolerance to violence place to live other than Yorba Linda, but in the surrounding area for commuting to work.

We are also looking into renting a house rather than an apartment as I have had my fill of apartment living to last me a life time since we moved to the states. Any idea’s what good area’s offer affordable 3bed/2bath properties under $2000.00 month mark.

We are in our late 40's but with a very young outlook and have an 18yr old daughter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM

92 posts, read 267,651 times
Three bedroom, two bath home for less than $2000 a month is not going to happen. You would be lucky to find a three bedroom, two bath apartment in that price range. You are going to need to up your monthly rent allowance by about $1000 to $3000 a month if you want all of the things you mentioned "nice, clean, friendly, diverse, and low tolerance to violence".

Good luck

Old 05-11-2010, 02:16 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
I think you could get into renting a home for $2000 in North County, but you'll have to get used to living next to latino populations in Anaheim, Garden Grove, or Fullerton.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrell View Post
Hi all,

My husband has been offered a job in CA, Yorba Linda. We currently live in a small city (Fort Mill) South Carolina of which I have grown to love, it's relatively safe where we live to the point where you can leave your door open. It's clean, and on the whole the people are friendly with the exception of a few that are a little rude and wary of outsiders to say the least.

We are from England originally and miss the English humor and the diversity regarding ethnicity in this part of the country. We do like the city but do not want to live in the city if you get my drift. I would be grateful for any advise given to where would be a nice, clean, friendly, diverse, and low tolerance to violence place to live other than Yorba Linda, but in the surrounding area for commuting to work.

We are also looking into renting a house rather than an apartment as I have had my fill of apartment living to last me a life time since we moved to the states. Any idea’s what good area’s offer affordable 3bed/2bath properties under $2000.00 month mark.

We are in our late 40's but with a very young outlook and have an 18yr old daughter.

A couple things you may need to adjust expectations on.

1. You will not find anyplace in the LA/OC area where it is safe enough to leave doors open. There are areas that are very,very safe, but you will not find that kind of care free enviroment in a densely populated metro area of 10MM+ people

2. Cost. Unless you are willing to live far inland in a bedroom community in the inland empire, $2000 for a 3/2 house is probably not going to happen. I know you said you have had your fill of APT living, but since you are coming to one of the priciest real estate markets in the US, you may want to reconsider your budget or desire for a SFH.

Lastly, looking at what you post mentioned about being near the city but not in the city, please realize that OC/LA is not like traditional cities in the east (or the UK). There is no central urban core which holds most of the cultural, civic and business institutions, surrounded by suburbs where people live. The entire metro area is one big sprawling jumble with several business & job, cultural, and residentail centers interspersed throughout. So deciding what attractions or specific things ( beach, mountains, arts, etc.) you wish to be close to can help you narrow your list of living locations. As for diversity, the entire area is an ethnic stew and it is quite possible for you (I am assuming you are anglo/white) to be a minority in your town/neighborhood, so you will need to decide how much diversity you want in your life.

Having said all that The safest part of OC is the towns in what is referred to as "South County", basically from Irvine south down the I-5 freeway. This area is the most traditionally suburban and residential in OC. Yorba Linda is anywhere fronm 15-45 minutes from this area by car (using a toll road, $4-5 toll each way).

If a 3/2 for $2k are all must haves for you, you may want to post in the Riverside/Inland Empire forum for ideas. YL is the first town in OC you come across as you drive in from the IE and quite doable from a commute perspective. It is also much more affordable, but there's a reason for that as well.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Move to CA!

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to my post!

I have been searching around the net most of the day and I have been able to identify several properties in several cities just less than the $2000.00 month mark, and for 3/2 but as to what these cities are like I am clueless??

I would if possible like to keep our rent to as little as possible per month due to the fact that when we move to CA, we will also have two properties on the go to maintain as we bought a house (regretably) just last year, and we also still have our home in the UK.

Have you lived in CA some time? and if so are you able to name some of the better cities around the Yorba Linda area, I do not expect to be living in some paradise and I am in no way under the illusion that every where is safe "the part about leaving my door open was not intended to mean that I am looking for the same enviroment, Lord no! I come from the UK, crowded cities, violance, graffitie, kids gone wild, gangs, muggings, shootings, it really is no diffrent to living in America except for the reassurance that the police here carry guns, unlike in the UK, so I know what to expect. I suppose I have been spoiled living where we live now, but the move is a defo so my little piece of paradise will just have to remain a fond memorey.

I am still open to any suggestions regarding nicer suburbs to live if anyone can comment and if it means paying more than so be it! Oh and by the way, I do not have any objections to living amongst people of a different race, my whole family is one big melting pot and I love them all equally.

Thanks!

Last edited by burrell; 05-11-2010 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 PM

10 posts, read 30,657 times
How about living in Yorba Linda? It's a great city and would be close to work for you. It sounds like you may have not seen the best YL has to offer. Check out the eastern portion, east of Fairmont and Bryant Ranch as well. I've seen several 3/2 townhomes for rent at right around $2k/month. For example, check out the Presidio complex on Dominguez Ranch Rd. off of Esperanza. You'll see some 1500-1600 sqft townhomes for around $2k/mo there.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to my post!

I have been searching around the net most of the day and I have been able to identify several properties in several cities just less than the $2000.00 month mark, and for 3/2 but as to what these cities are like I am clueless??

It's hard to tell w/o knowing what cities you are looking at. There are several cities close to YL that have both nice and bad areas - Anaheim, Fullerton, Orange - that may offer more affordable options, but the trick is will these options be in neighborhoods/places you would want to live?

I would if possible like to keep our rent to as little as possible per month due to the fact that when we move to CA, we will also have two properties on the go to maintain as we bought a house (regretably) just last year, and we also still have our home in the UK.

Ugh. Rough spot.

Have you lived in CA some time?

About 14 years - all in OC

and if so are you able to name some of the better cities around the Yorba Linda area, I do not expect to be living in some paradise and I am in no way under the illusion that every where is safe "the part about leaving my door open was not intended to mean that I am looking for the same enviroment, Lord no! I come from the UK, crowded cities, violance, graffitie, kids gone wild, gangs, muggings, shootings, it really is no diffrent to living in America except for the reassurance that the police here carry guns, unlike in the UK, so I know what to expect. I suppose I have been spoiled living where we live now, but the move is a defo so my little piece of paradise will just have to remain a fond memorey.

I am still open to any suggestions regarding nicer suburbs to live if anyone can comment and if it means paying more than so be it! Oh and by the way, I do not have any objections to living amongst people of a different race, my whole family is one big melting pot and I love them all equally.

Look at a map of OC. In general - less desirable zones are between the 91 and 22 freeways and all of Santa Ana. Fullerton, Villa Park, Orange, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, Tustin and Brea all are, for the most part, very nice areas. They are a bit older, but still nice. They all also have bad pockets as well.

Areas that are pretty much all good in South County include Irvine, Tustin Ranch, FootHill Ranch, Rancho Santa Margarita, Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Aliso Viejo, San Clement and Landera Ranch.

Thanks!
Above in red

Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginIrvine View Post
How about living in Yorba Linda? It's a great city and would be close to work for you. It sounds like you may have not seen the best YL has to offer. Check out the eastern portion, east of Fairmont and Bryant Ranch as well. I've seen several 3/2 townhomes for rent at right around $2k/month. For example, check out the Presidio complex on Dominguez Ranch Rd. off of Esperanza. You'll see some 1500-1600 sqft townhomes for around $2k/mo there.
Thanks! did check out Presidio properties and found some nice one's but that area is called Corona right? What is that area like? Did find some good homes rent on Realtor.com. Looking forward to our Move now!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Thanks Investor 2! You certainly seem to know the area well, will bear all these places in mind, I quite like the look and sound of Chino Hill's you didn't mention it on your list would appreciate your comments!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks Investor 2! You certainly seem to know the area well, will bear all these places in mind, I quite like the look and sound of Chino Hill's you didn't mention it on your list would appreciate your comments!
I've got to punt on Chino, don't know that area. These cities are actually in Riverside county. You may want to post in the Riverside county forum for better info on these areas.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County