Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 AM

57 posts, read 273,711 times

Advertisements

I moved to Grants Pass from Sacramento about a year and a half ago. I love it here. But even here in Southern Oregon, which has a milder climate than much of the rest of the state, it takes some getting used to. I don't like cold weather, so I usually head south for the winter. And it's really not that cold here - lows in the 20s are typical in winter, but it can get lower than that at times (got down to 12 degrees a few times last winter). If you go east of the Cascades (Klamath Falls, Bend, etc.) it is colder yet.

Coming from L.A., you may experience some weather shock. I believe we get more sun here than much of Oregon does (except for the eastern deserts). Rainfall averages in the low 30-inches here, but can be double that north and west of here. I am definitely at my limit in terms of rain and clouds, but that is mitigated by the fact that I am retired and can leave when I want. Spring, Summer and Fall are glorious here, although this year it took a long time for summer to finally arrive. Winter I can live without.

What was said about jobs earlier is really true. Unemployment is quite high here. Lot of people on food stamps, unemployment, etc. If you need to work, you might find it tough to find a job here, depending on your profession. But the cost of living is definitely lower than S. Cal. Crowds and heavy traffic are almost non-existent (unless you head up toward Portland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,684,803 times
My husband moved from SoCal to the Oregon coast and was simply unable to adjust to the weather. He worked outside and the weather was a challenge for him. The mud drove him insane. Mud splashing on his vehicles, mud tracked into our home. Mud, mud, mud everywhere! And pine needles too.

I love Oregon and considered it my home for many years. But I worked inside, so it was different for me. We have since relocated to a sunnier place and he's happy again.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,465,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
My husband moved from SoCal to the Oregon coast and was simply unable to adjust to the weather. He worked outside and the weather was a challenge for him. The mud drove him insane. Mud splashing on his vehicles, mud tracked into our home. Mud, mud, mud everywhere! And pine needles too.

I love Oregon and considered it my home for many years. But I worked inside, so it was different for me. We have since relocated to a sunnier place and he's happy again.
Mud and pine needles. The banes of living in many places in Oregon.
My dogs are trained to wait on the back porch until their feet are cleaned or my wife screams bloody murder about the floors.
I am constantly picking pine needles out of the cracks in my boat, truck, my gutters, they get into everything.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 PM

16 posts, read 51,139 times
The weather in Portland has been impossible to adjust to. Moved from the Sacramento area 3 years ago for reasons of husband's employment. If you can keep your spirits up during 8 - 9 months of gray days, you'll do fine.
Lots to like here: wonderful libraries and book stores, colleges, freshly brewed beer and coffee, superb newspaper (The Oregonian), community pride in property, easy access to the ocean.
Deal breakers: most of the year is dreary, keeps you inside a lot, and unlike any place I've lived before, deep friendships really difficult to come by.
You can't tell in a drive-by or a month.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:45 PM

29 posts, read 21,608 times
Coming from CA (Bay Area) for the past 40 years, the winter in the NW is an adjustment - our first year here also happened to be the worst winter in Portland in the last 38 years. Even with that said, it isn't as bad I've heard and it certainly doesn't rain for 9 months straight as some say. Overall it's still a "mild" climate relatively speaking, but certainly more harsh than the parts of CA like the Bay Area. But again, it depends on where you started and what you're used to. For example, I've heard that people from the midwest move to Portland because they see the PDX weather as an improvement. All about perspective. In my opinion, the rain isn't that bad, but if you don't like grey days and constant sun is the foundation, utmost priority and primary root of your happiness, this isn't the place for you other than parts of spring, all of summer and parts of fall.

As I mentioned, it doesn't rain all the time as dramatically as some say, it mostly just showers or mists and there are lots of breaks (even sun breaks) in between during the dead of winter. There are lots of rainbows! It may show rain everyday all day for 10 days on my iphone weather app, but its never the case. A FULL day of rain (from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep) is rare based on what I've seen. Sometimes the rain is just at night but that counts as a "day" of rain. I've seen several week-or-so-long periods with no rainfall, even in winter, and several month-long periods with no more than a day or two of showers in summer. The forecast can change quickly though. I think you always have to be prepared for rain and up for the adventure, whatever it may bring, and always remember the rain is what makes everything so green and beautiful.

I personally like the overcast days and cool weather better than heat. So if you're like me, you'll probably enjoy it here. Once in a while it snows which is kinda fun, especially for the kids. That said, its only fun if you don't have anywhere to be because the roads can get messy for a few days, and because it's a rare event, the city basically can't handle it as they do in places that get a ton of snow, so you kinda have to wait it out or make sure your vehicles have the proper snow gear. We've also had a day or two when the wind gets rip'n pretty good and it can get cold - in the teens sometimes. It can bother you at times, but you just need to have the right gear and your fine. Again, you have to be up for the adventure and turn it into a fun event.

To sum, its a great place, weather and all. Coming from the Bay Area, there is a lot to gain going to a place like Portland and definitely worth experiencing more "weather" - better home for less, more nature, trails, green forests, waterfalls, rivers and lakes, less traffic and congestion (although Portland has its share of traffic just like all cities), and in my opinion, more laid back people. Its a good variety and it makes you appreciate the cool when its cool and the warm when its warm. There's a beauty in the grey days if you can see it. It's all about perspective. And, again, in the big picture its not as harsh as the rest of the US besides CA. I like the Bay Area weather (who wouldn't?) but not the intense traffic, over population and high cost of housing issues. I didn't see a future there (Bay Area) for my kids. It all depends on what you value, your lifestyle, your weather preference, all the pros you're looking to gain and the cons you're willing to accept.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,465,622 times
Keep in mind that even though it may not be raining, everything outside is pretty much waterlogged and wet unless it's freezing cold outside.

For instance, you could have a decent clear day and decide to go to the park, but the park benches will be wet and the ground and grass will be wet and muddy.
But....it won't be raining.

You better be OK with cooler temps and with high humidity.
The low humidity when it gets below freezing and the cold east winds blow tends to dry things out a bit, but that's short term and it gets right back to being damp and cold pretty fast even though the skies might be clear...

I have heard it takes most people about three years before they know for sure whether or not this climate is for them.

Year one: It's all new and an adventure so it doesn't seem so bad.

Year two: It's not new anymore and you realize the challenges of living in this climate.

Year three: You finally decide whether you like it and want to stay, or it drives you nuts and end up moving somewhere with a warmer drier, sunnier climate.

A person can curl up by the fire, sip hot soup and read books for so long before it starts driving them crazy.
It sounds cozy and romantic and all Oregonian at first, but it gets old real quick.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 03-09-2017 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 PM

8,364 posts, read 6,461,909 times
[quote=jksNPDX;15642190]The weather in Portland has been impossible to adjust to. Moved from the Sacramento area 3 years ago for reasons of husband's employment. If you can keep your spirits up during 8 - 9 months of gray days, you'll do fine.
Lots to like here: wonderful libraries and book stores, colleges, freshly brewed beer and coffee, superb newspaper (The Oregonian), community pride in property, easy access to the ocean.

6 years later the Oregonian has completely collapsed, it's like a free throwaway paper now.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 PM

862 posts, read 1,066,628 times
[quote=V8 Vega;47458251]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksNPDX View Post
The weather in Portland has been impossible to adjust to. Moved from the Sacramento area 3 years ago for reasons of husband's employment. If you can keep your spirits up during 8 - 9 months of gray days, you'll do fine.

6 years later the Oregonian has completely collapsed, it's like a free throwaway paper now.
Yep. The Oregonian is fish wrapper.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:59 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,915,326 times
I have been here for over seven years and came from NYC though I am from SF. I still have my family in The Bay Area and my husband's family is all over CA so we still are able to see everyone pretty easily. The biggest adjustment is the Pac NW culture and the darker days in late winter- early spring. I love the Holiday Season and summer. My kids are thriving in OR and the focus on community is what keeps me going here as I don't have family up this way and it gets difficult sometimes. BUT... the good thing is that we can see family on our terms and privacy is important to us. I don't recommend NW Oregon to most Californians but the ones that adjust seem to not want to leave ever.��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon