Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 AM

47 posts, read 109,967 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Well, my divorce is nearly final, and I'm looking around for possible places to relocate.

A job won't be an issue for me. I'm planning on retiring from trucking (although only in my late 20s), since the government wants to make it impossible to make an honest buck. Had a few investments pay off for me, so I'm looking to get back to my first love of swinging wrenches and building bikes. I found a place in Grants Pass with a big shop out back, now I've just got a few questions for the local folk.

Weather- I'm insanely tired of the sub arctic, miserable winters in Wyoming. I understand it rains a fair bit in the winter in Grants Pass, but how much snow do y'all see during the winter? How are the summers? Just looking for feel for the general weather.

Four Wheeling- Nothing clears my mind quite like dropping my jeep into 4wd and disappearing into the woods for a while. Is this doable in Oregon, or is it all private land?

Any General Thoughts- Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I'm looking for a quiet place to swing some wrenches, be left pretty well alone and heal from my divorce.

Thanks in advance,
Tanker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 AM

17,648 posts, read 22,699,708 times
Howdy Tanker,

For well over four lustrums i've loved living in the mountains nw of Grants Pass. That's where i buy most of my vittles. I've never had any problems in GP. All nice friendly folks that i have met.

GP has a mostly pretty mild climate most years, & a good amount of sunshine. In the summer about 10 days of 100 or above temps, maybe less. I think it has about 20"-25" of rainfall usually. Not much snow in GP, maybe a dusting now & then. Most years the lowest temp is probably in 20's. Dec, Jan would be coldest. Here one winter two days were down to 10 degrees. I'm at about 2000'.

Two of my hobbies are fishin' & exploring the BLM backroads with my lifted 4x4 1988 Chev S10, 4.3l V-6. I've viewed some great wonders/beauty of Nature & her forest critters. Bald Eagle & Osprey, Great Blue Heron, at times. Beautiful sunsets & rises. I've found a few stocked fireponds way out in the boonies. At times i come across ol' cabins & such.

There are many BLM roads to explore in sw Oregon. Some roads you can't drive on during Fire Season.

Best of Luck to You.

Have a Beautiful Day.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:32 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,865,760 times
Like most Western states, a good-sized chunk of the state is federally-owned/managed (BLM, Forest Service). Right now the USFS is reworking some of the OHV roads, and I understand there will be a a huge number of closures in the initial phase, hopefully with many of the roads opening back up later. You might want to check with the USFS websites (Winema, Fremont, Rogue, Deschutes, Siskiyou) for info.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the input, all!
Hawk, you sound like my kind of guy, a little more solitary creature (though not antisocial). At the risk of sounding like a total dunce, what is a lustrum? Something akin to a score of years?

PNW, I appreciate that bit of information. Still kind of looking at South Carolina or Texas, however as we all know there ain't a lot along the lines of BLM land back east or down south. I daresay the bureau of land management has protected my sanity over the years by giving me a place to hide....

Tanker

Old 09-05-2010, 06:53 PM

54 posts, read 294,282 times
Tank-Yanker,
I'll throw in my 2-bits worth with Hawk J. He had it about right for Grants Pass weather and the back roads available in this area. Coming from Wyoming, I think you'll find Grants Pass a nice change for the better.
Best wishes on your move.
minorbrew

Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,220,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker_Yanker View Post
..... what is a lustrum? Something akin to a score of years?
click here: Let me google that for you

Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 AM

265 posts, read 688,115 times
I have looked,researched over the past few years and in no-way do you really want to go to Texas-unles you like heat,mega rains, illegal immigrants,etc,kinda flat dry dusty.

South Carolina- Hot and humid in the summer(I hate humidity) getting pretty much populated and having more crime issues by far than Oregon.

I myself cannot decide between Idaho/Washington/Oregon

Old 09-06-2010, 03:28 AM

Thanks for the input all!

Karlsch: Thanks for clearing that up for me, learn something new every day!

HateHumidity: True on all counts, and I've looked into idaho, washington and oregon myself. The issue I run into is I HATE WINTER WEATHER! Wherever I go, I do not want subzero weather with howling wind (watch Ice Road Truckers....that's pretty close to what Wyoming looks like December - March). Heck, I'll be honest, I could do without ever seeing snow again. The reason I'm looking @ Texas and SC also is I want to be able to ride motorcycles, if not year round then as close as possible as I can get. Humidity is not such a big issue for me. In looking for my ideal place to move, I've found there's only two types of weather you'll see in the continental US: Mild winters with hot summers, or mild summers with miserable, god-awful winters. The only place that maintains mild climate year round is San Diego, and there is no way I'll ever move to California under any circumstances.

Thanks for the input all, and any more would certainly be appreciated!
Tanker

Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 AM

17,648 posts, read 22,699,708 times
I first heard of lustrum in the John Wayne movie 'True Grit'.

hahaha

Old 09-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I first heard of lustrum in the John Wayne movie 'True Grit'.

hahaha

That is awesome. 10 points for being a fan of the Duke, and 10 more points for correct use of an interesting and obscure term!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon