Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,374 times

Advertisements

My son who is a junior in high school has just begun looking at colleges in Oregon. He's only lived in San Diego, so the weather is of a concern to him. He'd like to attend a smaller academic school in Oregon. Though he reads, and rereads college pamphlets, he doesn't seem to get a really good feel for the campuses and the community life surrounding them. We are planning a road trip this summer and I'm hoping to get some insight as to where to start. Greatly appreciate any feedback, succinct or detailed, you might have. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Well, we don't have San Diego weather. I had this type of discussion with my own daughter who intended to major in engineering. Her Dad & I recommended Washington State (she didn't want to go to Oregon State and we are both U of O grads so understood that), she wanted Santa Clara U because of the weather. Guess who won? After a year she found that engineering wasn't her calling so switched to finance.

Lessons' learned: choose a school where your student can change majors without disruption of their academic schedule; you can't win on the weather issue when choosing the Pac. NW vs California. Remember that the weather you see in the summer won't be what he will experience in the winter.

Without knowing you student's abilities and interests it is difficult to comment. Reed in Portland, Lewis & Clark near Portland and Linnfield in McMinnville are great liberal arts schools. It is very difficult to find a small or med. school with strong science or engineering programs (which is why SCU was on our list). Do what we did: research schools. Whitman in Walla Walla in Washington is selective as they prepare students for transfer as upperclassmen to schools such as Columbia U.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Reed is a very good school in Portland. Outside that, either UofO or OSU depending on his interests (pick whichever one is the best in whatever subject he wants to study). UofO feels like a bigger school than OSU, although they're actually about the same size. I wouldn't seriously consider any other schools in the Oregon University System.

The comment about Whitman in Walla Walla is also spot on.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Typically people look at colleges because that university is known for having a good department in something they are interested in. What is your son interested in or thinking of majoring in at this time?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 PM

353 posts, read 934,843 times
Whe visited Reed, L&C, U of Portland, Willamette, and U of O. I liked all of them and they all had different vibe. I enjoyed the campus visits, but we were worn out by the last day (3 days). Good luck. BTY, she chose another school in a different state.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 PM

682 posts, read 2,424,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I wouldn't seriously consider any other schools in the Oregon University System.
I agree with this, but only because it's probably not worth paying out of state tuition for the other schools, as CA has in-state schools of equal quality. Portland State is fine, but if he wants to live in the city Reed, L&C, UP, etc. have more prestige.

Another school to consider is Pacific U. in Forest Grove. It has some really good health sciences/allied health programs.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
A plug for Southern Oregon University here in Ashland. It is about 5,000 students, and has a lovely campus. I know many of the professors, and they are passionate teachers. Beautiful place to live. Ski area nearby, hiking trails in every direction. Rivers to raft. Pretty good science programs. The point about out of state tuition is a good one, but worth looking into.

Read the other thread by rebeccadumaurier running on this page about undergraduate "prestige." It is fine, but really is overrated on the job market. These days a master's is the key to the realm, so UG is not the place to run up big debts, IMO. The point is to find a place where one can thrive and go from there.

But now that I've said all this, have you checked out Humboldt State U.? It is in California, a great school, affordable, and with a diversity of programs. The beach is there, and it is more woodsy than most of Oregon.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
A plug for Southern Oregon University here in Ashland.
I'm sure SOU is a perfectly adequate college, but I really have to question the sanity of moving 800 miles and racking up tens of thousands of dollars in debt to get a degree from a school that a lot of the people who actually live in OR haven't even heard of.

The only context in which accumulating a pile of debt for undergrad makes any sense is if you're going somewhere really good for what you're studying, and even then it's iffy.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
The OP said they are interested in a "smaller school" which eliminates UofO and OSU (at least by my definition).

IMHO the student needs to find a school that offers suitable programs AND has very strong alumna relationships. The reason why the latter is significant is that the first job after graduating is obtained because an alum thinks highly of his or her university and believes that the current graduates are as well prepared. Always ask the college placement office about placement rates, get specific about the program you are considering... if you get a dodge and weave contact department heads. If they blow smoke keep looking. Yes, the last couple years have been awful but then ask about 4 & 5 years ago. You are spending a LOT of money on a higher education, spend it wisely.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm sure SOU is a perfectly adequate college, but I really have to question the sanity of moving 800 miles and racking up tens of thousands of dollars in debt to get a degree from a school that a lot of the people who actually live in OR haven't even heard of.

The only context in which accumulating a pile of debt for undergrad makes any sense is if you're going somewhere really good for what you're studying, and even then it's iffy.
Well, this statement could apply to just about anything about NW Oregon/Willamette Valley and the rest of the state couldn't it? I agree that WV is the big population center, but the Rogue Valley/Klamath/SW Oregon & Far N. California (Jefferson) has its own population and personality. We like it, and it can compare to any region in the WORLD. So, if you haven't heard of it, fine, but that doesn't mean it is not terrific. Same applies to SOU.

This said, I agree that if someone is looking to return to S. Cal for a job, the alumni network of SOU is not going to amount to much. Humboldt State, on the other hand, probably has a good network down there, since that is where many came from. And I must agree with the poster who questioned the out of state move when California has so many good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon