Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid growing up in Texas, one of my favorite things to do on a warm summer night was to watch for the fireflies to come out as soon as it got dark enough to see them blinking their little magical lighted butts. As a kid, I didn't know that the blinking was their version of Marvin Gaye's song, "Let's Get It On". I thought they were blinking so they could see where they were going in the dark!

Anyway - I have not seen fireflies since we left Texas years ago. Are there fireflies in Oregon? Where can you watch for them? I miss them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Nope - Texas is as far west as you usually see them. Generally the Rocky Mountains are considered the divide.

There are supposed to be glowworms (a larvae of some sort) but I've never actually seen one.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
When I was a kid growing up in Texas, one of my favorite things to do on a warm summer night was to watch for the fireflies to come out as soon as it got dark enough to see them blinking their little magical lighted butts. As a kid, I didn't know that the blinking was their version of Marvin Gaye's song, "Let's Get It On". I thought they were blinking so they could see where they were going in the dark!

Anyway - I have not seen fireflies since we left Texas years ago. Are there fireflies in Oregon? Where can you watch for them? I miss them.
Nope, they don't live here. I used to see them when I lived in Chicago.
I was happy to see them last summer when I was visiting friends in Cleveland. I was so nostalgic when I saw my first one "light up" in the evening.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Oregon doesn't have 'fireflies'. I used to seeum in Fort Jackson, South carolina, by the swamp pond ... & i think i did in Fort Riley, Kansas.

Oregon has some beautiful 'shooting star's', i seeum at nite when i'm catchin crawdads in the very dark boonies, & while catfishin'. I can see billions of star's (clouds of stars)

Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
We have a firefly like insect, but it's incredibly rare. I've only seen two or three in thirty years of outdoorsing. Those were close to the coast if I remember right, and during full summer.

I've seen glow worms a couple of times too, but again pretty rare. You'll probably have a better chance of seeing Bigfoot!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 AM

780 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Aww, that's gonna be sad for my boys. They love catching "lightning butts" in the summer here in Ohio. Oh well....guess we'll just have to settle for views of Mt. Hood instead.

Haven't seen any fireflies yet this year, but it's still early. That, plus we seem to be getting a daily monsoon (my yard might soon be designated a wetland), which doesn't encourage them to come out much...haha.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:18 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
Aww, that's gonna be sad for my boys. They love catching "lightning butts" in the summer here in Ohio. Oh well....guess we'll just have to settle for views of Mt. Hood instead.

Haven't seen any fireflies yet this year, but it's still early. That, plus we seem to be getting a daily monsoon (my yard might soon be designated a wetland), which doesn't encourage them to come out much...haha.
Yeah, it is early, but there are definitely less fireflies than there were when I was a kid (late 80's/early 90's). I remember walking outside as a kid, taking a jar and swiping it in the air getting 10-15 every swipe. I used to think if I got 1,000 alive I could sell em' to Johns Hopkins for research. (that's an old wives tale in the Baltimore area).

Now-a-days they seem to be MUCH less abundant.

Possible reasons for their decline: Why Are Fireflies Disappearing? Information on the Decline of Fireflies - Firefly.org

Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
We moved around quite a bit when I was a kid, and I was probably 7 or so when I first lived in an area with fireflies. The first time I ran around with a glass jar catching them was very exciting, but what I chiefly remember is the let-down the next morning when they were all dead in the bottom of the jar. A nice lesson in the beautiful yet transitory nature of things and the difference between enjoying watching something and trying to keep it for yourself.

Also, I edited a novel, written by a woman from the south, which was supposed to be set in Seattle and fireflies formed a fairly large part of the narrative. She was not pleased to know that fireflies (at least the ones that actually glow) are an extremely rare occurrence in Seattle.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Yeah, it is early, but there are definitely less fireflies than there were when I was a kid (late 80's/early 90's). I remember walking outside as a kid, taking a jar and swiping it in the air getting 10-15 every swipe. I used to think if I got 1,000 alive I could sell em' to Johns Hopkins for research. (that's an old wives tale in the Baltimore area).

Now-a-days they seem to be MUCH less abundant.

Possible reasons for their decline: Why Are Fireflies Disappearing? Information on the Decline of Fireflies - Firefly.org
I agree there are less than when I was a kid, as well. Although, I don't recall there being quite as many as you thought.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
I agree there are less than when I was a kid, as well. Although, I don't recall there being quite as many as you thought.
I'm sure. I was a kid, everything was bigger then.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: