Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 21,286 times

Advertisements

Hello all, potential to live in either place, have been to both and would like some insider information. Here are my thoughts,
K-falls, more people, furhter from Medford and shopping/dining, cheeper to register car not as hot in summer

Yreka,
Smaller, hotter in summer? closer to Ashland/Medford and the coast.

Might just come down to which is cheeper to live in?
Any thoughts?
Also, no kids, wife and dog so no issue with schools
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
What about Jobs?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Klamath Falls is about 40,000 people - 20,000 in city and 20,000 in the adjacent "suburb" of Altamont. It's about 75 miles to Medford, over a pass that can be snowy or icy in winter. It has several grocery stores, a Fred Meyer which is a "multi-shopping" store (food, clothes, hardware, home) and two large home improvement stores. While it's true that many people head to Medford for big shopping runs (Costco, Best Buy, Macy's and the mall stores), day-to-day level shopping can easily be done in Klamath Falls. Dining is very basic.

The weather looks pretty much the same, with Yreka slightly sunnier and slightly hotter in summer.

Tax-wise, Oregon has a (roughly) 9% income tax, no sales tax and a much lower car registration tax. Usually in comparisons with California the property taxes are lower, but that might not be true in a comparison between Klamath Falls and Yreka, where property values are probably about the same.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks PNW, Hamellr Job is why I'm headed, would no move to either place without one.
Another concern with K-falls , midges and smell from the lake, do you have to be miles from water to not have these issues?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Midges are the very worst along the lake and along the irrigation canals. We're about 3/4 up the hill from the lake and they aren't as bad here as they are on the lake, but they are still bad enough during the hatch (roughly about a 1-2 months in summer, in waves) that we don't sit outside with lights on then.

Every now and then in late summer we can get a whiff of the lake during very low water, but it's not a regular thing and some years it doesn't happen at all.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:05 PM

PNW
Do you know how the midges are out in Running Y area? There are some homes there that are "away" from the lake. Also, what do you think about Keno area?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:01 PM

Running Y, for all the upscale, is in one of the buggiest parts of Klamath. I like the walking paths there, but the covenants and restrictions about things like cars in driveways, landscaping and fences (for dogs) crossed it off my list. It's got that gated community vibe with the actual gates - fine if that is your thing.

Keno is a very cute tiny town, emphasis on tiny and not really "town" because it's more of what I'd call a hamlet - small single store, post office, real estate office (well, and Keno Tractor, where I go for tractor supplies). It's nice because it's forested (with Ponderosa pine, not juniper). Don't be fooled by a map, you do not want to take the road (Hwy 66) that goes between Keno and I-5 unless you have a lot of time on your hands and it is a very nice day.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:25 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKfinn View Post
Thanks PNW, Hamellr Job is why I'm headed, would no move to either place without one.
Another concern with K-falls , midges and smell from the lake, do you have to be miles from water to not have these issues?
Good.. glad to hear it. I have family still in K-Falls, and jobs are their number one concern still.

I lived at OIT and right on the lake, the smell was very rarely a problem. In fact I didn't even remember that there was a smell issue until you mentioned it.

The midges are a might worse issue. I do remember having to stop to wipe the front of the car down to keep the radiator from over heating once, but other then that, just turn off your lights and keep screen doors closed and you'll be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon