Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,662 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are planning to move to Oregon, hopefully to a more gay-friendlier place. Portland has been recommended, but we are also kinda hoping for a lesser populated area. I'm most interested in the coastal towns if anyone out there can tell me anything about them. From what I have been told, the winds get up to 100 miles per hour, and that I should hold on to my hat. (lol) Now am I hearing this right? (I'm actually a wig-wearer)
I've been to Oregon once before but only to the outer limits of Portland. I've always heard so many great things about Oregon and that I need to go there and that I would love it so much. And from what I have experienced I did like the atmosphere. But I want to know more about other places as well that I haven't been to in Oregon. And what you would recommend outside of Portland. Gay-Friendly is an important factor in making a decision on the right place. I'm not expecting "Rainbow Heaven" but if anyone knows of any places that have a great comfortable vibe about it and where people are accepting and open-minded that would be wonderful. And many thanks to you in advance. Happy New Year! -Joshy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I think you should first concentrate on communities where you can earn a living. I am not gay but it is my observation that your orientation should not be an issue unless you make it one. The nicest communities on the coast are found from Gearhart(sp?) south, IMHO, but they are essentially resort/vacation towns with little to offer in the way of employment.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Will you need jobs? If not, I would look at the central coast - Newport, Lincoln City. Maybe Florence?

High winds, heavy fog, rain, and cool temps are pretty typical of the coast. It's not the sort of place you go to swim (the water is painfully cold much of the time - not good for much more than wading around a bit) or sun tan (that would require sunshine, which isn't all that common). If you're looking for a more rugged, less developed coastal area, it's hard to beat. Just know what you're getting.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
My husbands Uncle is gay and he doesn't seem to have any issues living in Newport. He is retired now and he and his partner entertain quite a bit and have quite a few friends.

Good luck

Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
Lincoln City has a pride weekend in September called the Iris Festival. It seems pretty gay friendly but unless you're looking to retire, you do need to consider employment opportunities. The cities are small.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,662 times
Thank you everybody for your informative replies! And it looks like (drum roll please) Portland will be our destination. I have to admit the tv series Portlandia was also influential in making this decision. lol.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM

8 posts, read 22,289 times
Portland is the best city in Oregon, I am not from there but lived there, my favorite was North Portland.. I lived there and Gresham a very opened place!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Eyez View Post
Thank you everybody for your informative replies! And it looks like (drum roll please) Portland will be our destination. I have to admit the tv series Portlandia was also influential in making this decision. lol.
Portland is nothing like that *(&$@!)^& show. You have to go looking for that kind of stuff, and once you find it, the people IN the show will be the people you're meeting.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
As long as you don't need a job, Portland would be good for you. The coast is a little conservitive, but most of the state would be OK as long as you are not looking for work.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Eyez View Post
That show depicts Portland only. But it is a spoof; not a reality.

I think you will like Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon