Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times

Advertisements

In the winter don't walk too close to the edge, looking at the beautiful scenery. Some folks have fallen off & sometimes a chunk of snow has broken loose...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 03:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
The housing would have to be family-type units since we are a family. Hawk, that's what I'm thinking. I'm a firm believer (being a horse enthusiast, including foxhunting - thus my name) there's a right way to dress for the cold and I do believe I could adjust and do fine up there. (that attitude comes from having been a jarhead, probably... or a hard head...) But the question is "Do I want to?" I may not get the chance to decide, may be passed over and that's no biggee. I have other irons in the fire. Crater Lake is what looks to be one of the absolute most beautiful places in perhaps the world. I really crave the opportunity to experience that. If I were 20 years younger it would make more sense to me. Having said that, can anyone shed light on why people are retiring in that area? Because that doesn't make sense, not in my thought process. I have dogs who would hate me if I moved them to snow from Oct - Jun.....

ETA: Thank you for the pm PNW!!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:11 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Crater Lake is what looks to be one of the absolute most beautiful places in perhaps the world. I really crave the opportunity to experience that. If I were 20 years younger it would make more sense to me. Having said that, can anyone shed light on why people are retiring in that area? Because that doesn't make sense, not in my thought process. I have dogs who would hate me if I moved them to snow from Oct - Jun.....
The weather up at the rim at Crater Lake Park is not the same as the weather in the surrounding areas, where people "retire" to. For one thing, Agency Lake is 3,000' lower than the park headquarters. As you head south on Hwy 62 from the Annie Springs entrance to Crater Lake, even that last 1,000' of drop will go from snow along the road piled higher than the car to foot-high drifts to patchy areas of snow.

Most retirees in the area are there for the fishing and hunting and hiking access. The views are beautiful, too.

Sunset from the deck of my house over there
Where do you live if you work at Crater Lake Park?-view.jpg

Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM

Beee-yoo-ti-ful!

My other half builds. Decks, additions, bathroom remodels, etc. If there are homes there, there must be some kind of market for that.

Thank you so much for the info!!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:47 PM

180 posts, read 582,992 times
When I worked there in the 90s the permant employees has some housing on Park, many lived in Prospect and Union. You will want to live south of the Park as the North Enterence is closed in winter.

Shopping was Medford or K Falls. I used to stock up once a week. Its a great area if your self reliant and while you cannot hunt in the park, there is a lot of FS land around it that full of deer and elk. some good fishing around there too.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 PM

Thanks Brett!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon