Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:25 PM

198 posts, read 344,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That doesn't make it easy. But...I think it evens out. Professional publications can't stay alive on freebie writing, and those who write for free often provide a good argument for the old adage about getting what you pay for.

Good to know you don't have to depend on Internet for your work.
Isn't that the truth?! Here in Texas, though, I've found it disheartening how people associate good grammar and syntax, Heaven forbid higher-level vocabulary and standards, as being "uppity."

I did do some work for free for a political candidate (local office) and, while everyone agreed that my articles and such were far better and more polished than what the candidate's husband had written, her committee decided to let him continue because "we're plain-spoken folk around here." She lost the election. Resoundingly. Gee, could it have had something to do with the fact that not only was the writing meandering, even for a lawyer, but that her husband also decided to detail a bit of unpleasantness over a custody/visitation matter between her and his ex-wife on the campaign website, against my advice? He thought it made her seem "relatable."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
I've never heard of a $5000 rural building permit fee. & yes, especially not for a 400 square foot cabin.

I came across an example site for Oregon City.

Building Permit Fees | City of Oregon City

For a living space they go by $110.29 per square foot x 400

click on Valuation Fee Table at bottom of the page.

You can scroll the fee table for higher amounts.

Looks to be about $496.93= building permit fee.

If I am correct.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I've never heard of a $5000 rural building permit fee. & yes, especially not for a 400 square foot cabin.

I came across an example site for Oregon City.

Building Permit Fees | City of Oregon City

For a living space they go by $110.29 per square foot x 400

click on Valuation Fee Table at bottom of the page.

You can scroll the fee table for higher amounts.

Looks to be about $496.93= building permit fee.

If I am correct.

Yeah, Hawk J, when I was figuring my budgets, I looked at other Oregon towns' and cities' building permit worksheets for examples and explanations on how to figure the permit fees. Nowhere did I encounter a square-footage fee in addition to the other permit fees at any other city or county website. The Klamath County website doesn't list this fee anywhere, either, as far as I can tell. I prepared my budget based on the same worksheet type of form they list, which is what the others use.

That's why I have to wonder about this fee and if it's legal under state planning laws. I'm not so strapped that I can't pay it if I must to build my home but I'm not about to donate $5K to the County for absolutely nothing without knowing exactly how and why they're entitled to that wad of cash. The permits themselves pay for the inspections, the surcharges, the state fees, etc. They already charge an extra fraction of a percent for those of us building in remote, unincorporated areas, too. Understandable, because of increased travel costs. I'm absolutely cool with paying reasonable fees.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:00 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
Yeah, Hawk J, when I was figuring my budgets, I looked at other Oregon towns' and cities' building permit worksheets for examples and explanations on how to figure the permit fees. Nowhere did I encounter a square-footage fee in addition to the other permit fees at any other city or county website. The Klamath County website doesn't list this fee anywhere, either, as far as I can tell. I prepared my budget based on the same worksheet type of form they list, which is what the others use.

That's why I have to wonder about this fee and if it's legal under state planning laws. I'm not so strapped that I can't pay it if I must to build my home but I'm not about to donate $5K to the County for absolutely nothing without knowing exactly how and why they're entitled to that wad of cash. The permits themselves pay for the inspections, the surcharges, the state fees, etc. They already charge an extra fraction of a percent for those of us building in remote, unincorporated areas, too. Understandable, because of increased travel costs. I'm absolutely cool with paying reasonable fees.
It doesn't sound like there really is a $5000 fee. That money would be better going for a nice generator or something of that nature, which can be very useful........or a nice 20 gauge.....

Best to Luck to you Julie........I hope the building department gives you good news.

Get Well soon.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:09 PM

812 posts, read 795,875 times
I'm enjoying reading this thread! Even though remote homesteading is not something I am planning on doing, I've dreamed about it in the past and I respect those who do it right. Julie, you sound like you have had an interesting life. I admire your independent spirit. Are you moving to OR because you are tired of the Texas heat, or...? I hope you keep us updated on how things go!

Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
I'm enjoying reading this thread! Even though remote homesteading is not something I am planning on doing, I've dreamed about it in the past and I respect those who do it right. Julie, you sound like you have had an interesting life. I admire your independent spirit. Are you moving to OR because you are tired of the Texas heat, or...? I hope you keep us updated on how things go!
Well, kind of. I have Lupus, which I didn't know when I moved to Texas for work, and the disease makes me photosensitive. This summer has been uncharacteristically wet so far but we typically have temps in the high 90s/100s for 7 months. Last year, we hit 104 in April, I remember it well. I'm tired of living like a bat for most of the year. AND I miss forests, mountains, and rivers so much. My husband and I would go camping all over Maine and NH, and my parents loved taking daytrips to forests, too. I want that again. My parents are long deceased and I don't have hardly any family remaining on the East Coast so there's no sense going back there.

I've always wanted to live on the West Coast. In fact, I got college scholarship offers in Washington State as a teen and my folks wouldn't let me go that far away. I'm halfway there; if I don't do it now, I never will! I'm the type who thrives on adventure. Shopping malls, getting my nails done, and that sort of thing just don't interest me.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 AM

812 posts, read 795,875 times
Sorry to hear about the Lupus. I know a lot of people get that here in AZ too. I can totally relate about the heat. It does get brutal.

I think you will be happy with OR. I grew up back east and spent just one year of college in Eugene. I loved it there! It rained a lot in the winter, but that didn't bother me at all. When my dh and I could move out west, we considered OR, but there just weren't any jobs there. Best of luck on your new adventure! (As for malls, ugh, I'd be happy if I never set foot in one again! )

Old 06-17-2015, 09:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
Well, kind of. I have Lupus, which I didn't know when I moved to Texas for work, and the disease makes me photosensitive.
Be careful going out in the sun at the much higher altitude here - a lot more UV. It's why you can sit out on a patio, wearing short sleeves, on a 35 degree day and be warm enough, IF you are directly in the sun.

Everything outside deteriorates, plastics, wood, etc. Easy to get a very fast sunburn. Because of our altitude, even though we are at latitude 42, we got as much solar intensity as we would have gotten at the equator.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Be careful going out in the sun at the much higher altitude here - a lot more UV. It's why you can sit out on a patio, wearing short sleeves, on a 35 degree day and be warm enough, IF you are directly in the sun.

Everything outside deteriorates, plastics, wood, etc. Easy to get a very fast sunburn. Because of our altitude, even though we are at latitude 42, we got as much solar intensity as we would have gotten at the equator.
Good point. Rubber breaks down quickly. I treat my tractor tires with protectant and keep my travel trailer tires covered to keep the sun from killing them. Car tires usually don't last long enough for it to be an issue.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the trees/shade. The mid to back part of my land is quite wooded. I'm in the south plains now, with pathetic trees, and not many of them.

So an asphalt/blacktop driveway would be a super-bad idea, then, I'm guessing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon