Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 PM

79 posts, read 223,945 times

Advertisements

HI All!

Visiting from Alaska next Month. I've never been to the Oregon coast. We are flying into Medford and will be heading directly for the coast. Plan to see the coast from Florence down to Eureka (I think).

I'm wondering what the most direct/efficient route from Medford to the coast might be. There aren't a lot of choices, and wondering if it makes more sense to take I-5 up to 138/38 and cut across to Reedsport, or rather take 42 across to Bandon.

Is there any advantage to one of these routes over the other? Both take a little over 3 hours, according to Mapquest. But I know those state highways can be hit or miss for efficiency of travel.

Is there another route I am not seeing?

Thanks much.

P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:30 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,190 times
If you want to see Florence then why not go north on I-5 to Eugene and then take hwy 126 across to Florence, from Florence you can drive 101 south.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
If you want to see Florence then why not go north on I-5 to Eugene and then take hwy 126 across to Florence, from Florence you can drive 101 south.
Or if time permits Corvalis to Newport and then down. Newport is the largest coastal town(?) and a "shouldn't miss."(imo)

Old 02-24-2015, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Is there an advantage to 126 vs. 38? Or are you just suggesting we include Eugene in our trip?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM

I'd like to see the entire coast, but we only have 8 days, in and out of Medford, with our last night in AShland to go to the Shakespeare Festival. I'm thinking Heceta lighthouse is as far North as we will go, as I also want to see the Redwoods.

Keep that feedback coming! This is great.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:30 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Or if time permits Corvalis to Newport and then down. Newport is the largest coastal town(?) and a "shouldn't miss."(imo)
This is what I was going to say. And a lot to see between Newport and Florence.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM

Ok, so Medford to Eugene, Corvalis, Newport, Florence, Bandon......... south to Arcata, over to AShland, then back to Medford airport.

That is do-able in 8 days?

Where would you all suggest we overnight? Companion is not a fan of B&B's. I prefer boutique hotels or VRBO's.

This is fun. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:10 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet99645 View Post
Where would you all suggest we overnight? Companion is not a fan of B&B's. I prefer boutique hotels or VRBO's.
Ocean view room at the Fireside in Yachats. Guest Room Information at the Fireside Motel on the Oregon Coast. - Fireside Motel

Pictures I took from my room deck last time I stayed there:

Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
8 days seems ample.

If you were driving straight through from Newport to Eureka, that's only about 325 miles road distance. You could do that in one day if you woke up in Newport and wanted to be in Eureka by nightfall, barring slides or road closures.

I think the big question is what time you arrive in Medford and how far you'll want to drive post-arrival. It's unlikely you'd want to drive all the way up to Newport in one day (roughly 4.5 hours) post-flight. Though getting a rental car and out of the Medford airport is pretty easy, that's still seemingly a big first day of travel. In my mind that's the big question mark in your itinerary.

You will miss some nicer stretches farther north (Cannon Beach, Neskowin, etc.), but if you're looking for a nice leisurely bob along the coast Newport to Eureka seems about right, while still giving you time to check out the Redwoods on your way back north.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,220 times
Also you don't really need to go all the way to Eureka to enjoy the redwoods. There's plenty to see right around Crescent City. That would save about 90 minutes of driving from CC to Eureka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon