Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,848 times

Advertisements

First (sensing the reaction to come - I read some other threads on this topic), I realize what I'm about to ask about isn't for everyone. Dogs in various public places can be a divisive topic. Everyone has their own experiences and their own preferences, and idea of where they'd like to live based on what they value. To each his own. This is mine. Bear in mind I'm asking this specifically to find somewhere with a culture that suits *me*, where I'm not imposing my preferences on a place where it's not already accepted/normal.

That said... are there any coastal towns that effectively have an "anything goes" mentality when it comes to dogs? By "dog-friendly", I don't mean dog parks (my dog and I prefer hiking), boutique pet stores, or dog-friendly hotels (moot when living somewhere) - hence difficult to just do a search. I mean where I can head out after work and grab a snack, grab some groceries, browse a book store, etc... and bring my dog along for it all (in the shops). Not that every business has to be accepting of this, but enough are that you can find options to cover most everything with dog in tow. I'm originally from San Francisco, though moved to the Midwest a couple years ago, and miss both the coast and that dog-"it's all good"-ness (not sure if SF has changed in that sense in the past couple years, but that's a tangent)... where I could bring my dog to the store, the post office, sit in a cafe, and on any other errands.

So, that's what I'm looking for. Ideally a town with some sort of condensed downtown shopping and restaurant area (ie: walkable). Not too tiny (10,000 or so is a good population - more or less is fine, not too picky about this - just large enough to facilitate said downtown area and have a veterinary clinic). Reasonably affordable ($1000/month for rent, a little more or any amount less, would be cool... I'll consider more expensive places if they're otherwise perfect). Within a 30 minute or so drive from the coast (but right on it would be ideal).

Also, different state... but while I'm familiar with most of the California coast, Crescent City is a blindspot for me. Close to Oregon, so if anyone has insight on that, it would also be appreciated. I'm shooting for either California or Oregon, but since I'm not familiar with Oregon, would like to hear options to check out.

Thank you in advance for reading and any insight you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Coos Bay is the largest town on the Oregon coast and has less than 15K population. Most coastal communities here are significantly smaller.

What you're looking for doesn't exist in Oregon. It really isn't up to business owners in certain types of establishments -- restaurants, for instance -- whether to allow dogs or not. There are health codes that apply, and what you're asking for simply isn't possible.

If your dog is a licensed service animal, you can pretty much take it anywhere, though.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
I don't know anywhere in S.F. where it is legal to bring a dog, other than a service dog, everywhere. I have family that works for the city and by brother is a chef. Dogs are not roaming freely in restaurants there. Seriously, Portland has enough people who try to pass their dogs off as service dogs and it's wrong. Disability service dogs serve a purpose for its owner and when dogs are distracting them...the service dogs are not able to assist their disabled owners.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I think everyone in Oregon appreciates well behaved CONTROLLED dogs. Many people have friendly dogs which are not on a leash and are as controlled as those on a leash - so no problem with those dogs and dog owners as far as I am concerned!

Note there are bans in effect and going into effect for vicious aggressive dogs in some counties in Oregon. Those dogs are best kept at home.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:42 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
There are leash laws everywhere in Oregon. You are not allowed to take your pet dog into any store that sells food.

Some parks allow dogs, some don't, but all require a leash, except for the off leash dog parks.

National Forest trails all have signs at the trail head that leashes are required. it is against the law to allow your dog to chase or harass wildlife.

Harassing livestock will result in a death sentence for your dog, so don't allow the dog to roam unattended.

Some beaches allow dogs all year round; some beaches only allow dogs in the winter.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:25 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
The Oregon coast is a string of very small isolated towns - the Coast Range cuts off the coast from the more populous inland valleys. Here you either live ON the coast or at least an hour (and likely closer to 2 hours) away, there is no middle ground. If you think of California towns like Point Arena, Mendocino, Ft Bragg, Eureka, you are looking at the same thing here but smaller and wetter. Eureka is twice the size of any Oregon coastal town.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,547 times
I must be a neanderthal.
I have a well behaved high energy border collie (previous animals over the years). Before I moved out of Oregon, never had any issues anywhere on the coast of Oregon. I was probably breaking many local laws. I was not bothered by anyone, law enforcement included. Besides my dog there were many others, everything was great. My only gripe is that some folks don't scoop after their pet. That is unacceptable. The Columbia County Sherrif gave me an earful from his boat about my dog not being on a leash on a deserted beach. I complied and leashed my dog.

One time in 40 years.

If not dog friendly Oregon is pretty dog tolerant. If your dog is a butt head leave em at home. The rest of us enjoy running under the radar.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:49 PM

I'm sorry, but the OP was typing about taking dogs into grocery stores, shops, and restaurants, not about dog parks and beaches. I simply don't see that in Oregon with the exception of the occasional service dog. I
am vacationing on the coast right now, and I haven't noticed any anti-canine bias, but neither have I noticed the kind of "anything goes" atmosphere that the OP is trying to find.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:22 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,547 times
Hmm uh I never experienced that level of comfort with dog ownership anywhere nor do I expect it. Take advantage of what is offered and tolerated. I wouldn't push too many boundaries and make it worse for the rest of the animal owners.

There are a few dog friendly places in Portland. The Lucky Lab brew pub was the site of our dogs b'day party. We invited all his human and animal friends and had a great time. Petco allows pets in the store as well. I am sure with some networking one could find many dog centric public activities.

I don't expect the general public to adore my dog like I do. I leave him home when we are doing people only stuff.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:05 PM

Well, even the Lucky Lab can't (and doesn't) allow dogs indoors, which is the sort of thing that OP says he's looking for. Most of Oregon seems pretty dog-friendly, but it's nowhere near what he's looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon