Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 04:06 PM

62 posts, read 99,616 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to know a little more information on Ashland. I've never visited before, but really want to as it looks like a beautiful and quaint town.

My questions are:

Coming from Northern California, how hard would it be to get a job in Ashland? I'm 22 and almost out of college getting a bachelors in communications, but I realize the job market there isn't that great.

Also, how's the weather, especially in the summer? I'm from Sacramento and the summers are pretty brutal, so I'm looking for a bit of a cooler weather town during this time of the year.

I appreciate anyone's help. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 04:29 PM

86 posts, read 267,362 times
If you include Medford in your job search radius, it will make it a lot more likely you'll find a job. Ashland is pretty small and there aren't many jobs there. It's an easy and short commute if it comes to it.

Compared to Sac, Ashland has nicer summer weather, although it still gets really hot at times, just not for as long of stretches. Air quality seems better though, unless there is smoke from a forest fire.

Last edited by Nightdiver13; 04-29-2015 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 05:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,897,460 times
Ashland will be cooler, although still hot in summer, plus a little wetter and cooler in winter with less sun and the occasional road ice and spit of snow. Ashland will also be more expensive than Sacramento, as far as housing.

Compared to Sacramento, Ashland is TINY and most of the available jobs are in service industries. There is a lot of competition for intro level white collar jobs.

Sacramento

Ashland

Old 05-02-2015, 10:09 PM

285 posts, read 544,577 times
My impression of Ashland is that they like to think of themselves as an Arcata or Berkeley, CA for southern OR. Liberal outlook in every way. Jobs will be hard to find for any kind of a living wage. I doubt if most of the tourist workers (wait staff, hotels) can afford to live in Ashland.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:25 PM

609 posts, read 812,228 times
There are two reasons I've been to Ashland. The first is to fill up on gas while passing through. The second.....oops I guess there was only one.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:10 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,897,460 times
If you've only stopped for gas, you haven't actually BEEN to Ashland. The city proper is off I5 a bit, which certainly makes for a nicer downtown without the freeway roar (something downtown Medford admittedly suffers from).

The downsides are tight rentals and very little employment outside of the service industries (lower key on the south side of town, much more expensive and geared to wealthy retirees and tourists on the north side of town). It's nice in that there aren't a lot of big box stores - you've got to go to Medford for those. Businesses tend to be smaller and local, but also on the expensive side for the area. For the size of city, there are a ton of restaurants and art galleries (more, per capita, than Bend).

Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 AM

135 posts, read 135,986 times
I like Ashland. Ashland's expensive though. I suggest checking out Lithia Park

Old 05-04-2015, 11:51 AM

15,290 posts, read 17,776,553 times
Ashland is a great little town if your IQ has three digits to rub together. The citizens are affluent and highly educated. The primary industry of the town is Lithia Park and the Shakespeare festival. They cater to high dollar tourists, so if you end up working in a bar or full service restaurant expect great tips. You should visit. If you network a little you can probably negotiate couch surfing with a student at the university.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:05 PM

35 posts, read 64,124 times
Where do you live in Sacramento?

Our family relocated from Sacramento to Ashland and have greatly appreciated the change in temps! Yes, the summers do get hot, but they don't stay hot nearly as long as Sacramento, and it seems to cool down nicely at night into the early mornings. This makes summer much more tolerable!

As far as jobs go, I can't be of much help. My husband still works in Sacramento and I'm a stay at home mom. Housing is expensive compared to Sacramento. It's worth it to us though as the quality of life is 10 times better!

Best of luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon