Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 12:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Think about it. Clearly the refusal is not based on sexual orientation.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:31 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Think about it. Clearly the refusal is not based on sexual orientation.
The matter has already been decided by the courts.

Sweet Cakes final order: Gresham bakery must pay $135,000 for denying service to same-sex couple

If you can't accept the court rulings, I think it's a bad day for you. The chances of it being reversed any time in the foreseeable future is close to zero. You might want to consider living in another country. I might recommend Nigeria.

Nigeria passes law banning homosexuality

Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The matter has already been decided by the courts.

Sweet Cakes final order: Gresham bakery must pay $135,000 for denying service to same-sex couple

If you can't accept the court rulings, I think it's a bad day for you. The chances of it being reversed any time in the foreseeable future is close to zero. You might want to consider living in another country. I might recommend Nigeria.

Nigeria passes law banning homosexuality

Exactly what does this have to do with HETEROSEXUAL same-sex couples? In the case of heterosexual same-sex couples, there is no discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Hint:

Avakian's ruling upheld a preliminary finding earlier this year that the owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa had discriminated against the women on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:05 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Exactly what does this have to do with HETEROSEXUAL same-sex couples?
Sorry I misread that.

Quote:
In the case of heterosexual same-sex couples, there is no discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Hint:

Avakian's ruling upheld a preliminary finding earlier this year that the owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa had discriminated against the women on the basis of their sexual orientation.
Well, then if they refused heterosexuals, they would be discriminating against them on the basis of their sexual orientation. So there is no difference. I don't know what your point is.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Sorry I misread that.

Well, then if they refused heterosexuals, they would be discriminating against them on the basis of their sexual orientation. So there is no difference. I don't know what your point is.

Two unrelated heterosexual strangers walk into a bakery.

One wants to order a wedding cake for an opposite-sex wedding.

One wants to order a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding.

The bakery accepts the order for the opposite-sex wedding cake and rejects the order for the same-sex wedding cake.

How is that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
Businesses are in business to make money. They should not get involved in politics, put up signs for candidates, etc. It will only cost them business.

Think about it!

About half the people are Democrats and half are Republicans... So your business puts up a sign for one of the candidates, then instantly you tick off the other half!

Same with movie stars. They are going to tick off half the people if they come out one way or the other on various issues. Best to keep their trap shut so far as their career goes...

Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,240 times
I think the issue is that your scenario assumes the baker has information that she would not likely have. How likely is it the customer is going to state "I am heterosexual but getting same-sex married."

Possible under the sun, sure, but not particularly likely unless staged. The more likely scenario would involve a baker making an assumption about the customer's orientation and/or the gender of the spouse, which a claimant could more easily punch holes in.

It's one of those questions that, rather than diving down the rabbit hole just to mentally um...pleasure oneself, I think we can safely wait until it actually happens rather than worrying about the hypothetical.

Or at least it should be in a different forum - politics or philosophy, etc.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 AM

400 posts, read 414,347 times
Remember when places of business had signs that say We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone?

About religious freedom, because that is what this fiasco was about- Read the first amendment of the US Constitution some time. It says"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free expression thereof".

Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
Remember when places of business had signs that say We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone?

About religious freedom, because that is what this fiasco was about- Read the first amendment of the US Constitution some time. It says"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free expression thereof".
Uh huh. Okay, put a sign on a business that says "No blacks or latinos allowed" or "no Catholics allowed" and see where that gets you.

The "reserve the right to refuse service" is generally viewed as applying to disruptive or dangerous patrons.

Gay marriage in no way infringes on anyone's religious rights. You don't have to go to a gay wedding, your church does not have to perform the ceremony. You don't have to allow someone who is gay, Catholic, black, Jewish, Muslim, whatever into your house. But if you are working with the public, you have to accept that gay people = public.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:56 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,691,394 times
This thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: