Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM

55 posts, read 66,583 times

Advertisements

Good morning..I moved to Oregon (Florence) about a month ago and love it! My Mom is coming in for visit from IL Wednesday (must be all the pretty pics I post lol) She asked about swimming in Ocean on her visit I told her here in Florence it is too cold right now, is there anywhere close we could drive to where it might be warm enough to swim at this time of year? If not, she will be fine just walking the shore but with all the wind lately some days I end up eating a lot of sand lol, is there a beach I should take her to that might be a little more "protected" from wind? Would appreciate any thoughts on places...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 11:35 AM

861 posts, read 1,062,548 times
I've been on the coast for 26 years, yet I can't think of a good spot. Never have set foot in the water. But I would guess that generally the further south you go, the warmer the water.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 AM

knowing my Mom she isn't gonna waste time driving when she can be by the ocean lol

Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Only if by "south" you mean San Diego or Baja. The water generally stays below 60° (year-round) all the way down the Washington and Oregon coasts, finally getting into the 60s south of LA, and the 70s in San Diego during the summer.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/npac.html

Old 06-28-2016, 11:51 AM

That helps PNW Girl...swimming will be out for this visit lol...I am still getting used to driving in OR and yesterday driving to Medford and going through the passes and the summit I thought we might die lol so I am not in a hurry to experience that drive again yet so we will just stay near Florence where I am more comfortable driving lol

Old 06-28-2016, 11:54 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrineRose View Post
Good morning..I moved to Oregon (Florence) about a month ago and love it! My Mom is coming in for visit from IL Wednesday (must be all the pretty pics I post lol) She asked about swimming in Ocean on her visit I told her here in Florence it is too cold right now, is there anywhere close we could drive to where it might be warm enough to swim at this time of year? If not, she will be fine just walking the shore but with all the wind lately some days I end up eating a lot of sand lol, is there a beach I should take her to that might be a little more "protected" from wind? Would appreciate any thoughts on places...Thanks!
Try Newport Beach, California. Current water temperature there is about 70 °F. It still pretty cold, but if she doesn’t mind cold water, maybe it would be doable.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Unlike the beaches in the Gulf or most of the Atlantic, we do not have much of a coastal shelf on the Pacific, so we get cold water upwelling from deeper parts of the ocean. Plus the long shore current is from north (think: Alaska) to south here. It also means the water gets deep FAST (except in protected bays, like Sunset Bay State Park, just north of Shore Acres) and large waves, including sneaker waves, are quite possible.

Some of the protected bays, where the waves are smaller and the water warmer, also suffer from bacteria and algae blooms in the summer and get closed for swimming. You'll see signs for that if it is the case.

The first time I went to Florida, I was astonished that you could walk out into the ocean maybe 1/4 mile and the water was warm and only came up just past your knees.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:06 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Pacific Ocean for swimming? San Diego or further south, and it is still cold.

There are some beautiful beaches to walk on, though. And beautiful scenery to admire. If you want to go as far as Newport, the harbor is fun, with some interesting shops and the big rock covered with hundreds of seals and sea lions. Just south of Newport is South Beach park and the beach there is marvelous, sandy, and goes on forever.

Closer to you is Yachats, with a few cute shops, a dozen really excellent restaurants, and both a sandy beach to walk on and a rugged rocky scenic coastline.

Florence is big enough to have a community swimming pool, you might look into that.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:16 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Kids swim at Neskowin. Not actually out in the open ocean, but in the small estuary that forms south of Proposal Rock where the creek flows down. It's fairly protected and the water is warmer. I've definitely had fun wading in it, but IIRC it's not deep enough for an adult to really swim.

Bit of a drive from Florence (could be the northernmost point of a day trip), but a nice little beach.

In Oregon trivia, there's a Corin Tucker Band song about Neskowin as well. Doubt the song would appeal to your mom though, but the beach might.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the input! No, there isn't a community pool here in Florence. Swimming will just have to wait until she comes out for another visit when she is here 10days this trip is just Wed evening to Sunday I know she will be happy just walking along the beaches. Was told by someone to go either South or North (I have to look up what she said) of the heads on coast and offers a bit of protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon