Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,092 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in potentially moving to Oregon. We are interested in the Portland area.

We are from the Austin, TX area so feel that Portland would be a good move. We prefer to live outside the metro area, in smaller towns, where there's more land it feels than there are buildings. Where you can drive around and see nice stretches of green. But still pretty close access to the big city, as we get cabin fever pretty easily.

Weather is not a concern for us, we love the rain and clouds. It's one of the reasons that Oregon appeals to us. From what we've seen there are some really beautiful areas in Oregon. We aren't concerned about jobs as we have our own business that allows us to work from anywhere. Money is also not a real concern, though we prefer to keep our expenses to a minimum, less expensive the better. We are not very lavish people, just want somewhere peaceful and cozy, with a house on a little bit of land for our son to run around. Half an acre would even be okay. Prefer 3 bedroom houses. Flexible on style. Commute is no big deal. Just being within a 30 to 60 mile radius of Portland would be okay with us.

What are the best cities/towns to look at around that area? Once we narrow down our search area, I think it would make it easier to find a place. Right now, not sure what the best areas are, so hard to really pick and hone in on anything.

Any help or advice is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 11:01 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times
What's your house budget, that will determine how far out you have to go to get land.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:02 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Estacada - lots of trees, backed right up to a national forest. Molalla, home of the Molalla Buckaroo and Rodeo. Forest Grove, Newberg or McMinnville, in the heart of wine country. Mt. Angel, home of Oktoberfest and the abbey has a great Bach festival every year. You can also check into the abbey for spiritual retreats.

Those are all outside Portland Metro's urban growth boundary. Oregon is nothing like Texas. There are laws against urban sprawl. There is plenty of open farm land and green between cities.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:15 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstewart912 View Post
My husband and I are interested in potentially moving to Oregon. We are interested in the Portland area.

We are from the Austin, TX area so feel that Portland would be a good move. We prefer to live outside the metro area, in smaller towns, where there's more land it feels than there are buildings. Where you can drive around and see nice stretches of green. But still pretty close access to the big city, as we get cabin fever pretty easily.

Weather is not a concern for us, we love the rain and clouds. It's one of the reasons that Oregon appeals to us. From what we've seen there are some really beautiful areas in Oregon. We aren't concerned about jobs as we have our own business that allows us to work from anywhere. Money is also not a real concern, though we prefer to keep our expenses to a minimum, less expensive the better. We are not very lavish people, just want somewhere peaceful and cozy, with a house on a little bit of land for our son to run around. Half an acre would even be okay. Prefer 3 bedroom houses. Flexible on style. Commute is no big deal. Just being within a 30 to 60 mile radius of Portland would be okay with us.

What are the best cities/towns to look at around that area? Once we narrow down our search area, I think it would make it easier to find a place. Right now, not sure what the best areas are, so hard to really pick and hone in on anything.

Any help or advice is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!
Half acre lots are hard to come by. 30-60 miles from Portland covers a lot of small towns so maybe if you say what you want in a small town we can tell you which ones are most like that, and yes price point matters.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Try Vernonia.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I would look east, to Damascus, Boring, Sandy, Estacada, and Corbett.

If money is no barrier, Hood River is really nice and right at 1 hr away. Climate is much better for outdoor activities.

If you are self employed... Why would you move to a VERY high income tax state, after being in Austin?

I am 20 min to PDX, have some of the best hiking and protected views out my back door, and have no state income tax obligations.

But.... I keep my rural properties in Hill Country of TX for the 280 days / yr of rotten PNW weather. Plus.... I get much better rental profits on TX properties. Keeping rentals in each location means tax advantaged travel between. I have a guest home and econo car on each end, so live either place for only food costs. Spend under $100 to fly between locations.

I have bought the 3 - 10 acre rural props in each location with barns, cabins, homes, gardens and shops for under $120k. (None were bought through a realtor, you need to DIG to find beautiful view homes at a good price), my last one in TX was bought sight unseen while I was living in Thailand. It closed in less than a week, no hassles, no extra expenses.

Know what you want and be prepared to buy it.

Remember.... If you have kids in school.... FREE FT college instead of wasting their time in High school is available in WA and HI. If they can pass college entrance exam at grade 9. (No problem with today's low stds))

Old 06-07-2016, 01:32 PM

7 posts, read 5,919 times
Hi! Being from Hawaii and working in one of our community colleges, I am interested in free FT college you are referencing here. I am unaware of free FT college opportunities for students but would like to know more about the programs we have (we have outreach college counselors and this could have a huge impact on our outreach efforts). Thank you!

Old 06-07-2016, 03:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Half acre lots are hard to come by. 30-60 miles from Portland covers a lot of small towns so maybe if you say what you want in a small town we can tell you which ones are most like that, and yes price point matters.
The way to get a half acre lot is to buy two quarter acre lots and do a boundary line adjustment. I have seen it done.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamak808 View Post
Hi! Being from Hawaii and working in one of our community colleges, I am interested in free FT college you are referencing here. I am unaware of free FT college opportunities for students but would like to know more about the programs we have (we have outreach college counselors and this could have a huge impact on our outreach efforts). Thank you!
You may wish to make a separate thread, as that's a bit of a tangent from this one.

Though just to clarify, Stealth was speaking about WA - if you're in WA and asking a question about WA it would be better to put it in their forums.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:02 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If money is no barrier, Hood River is really nice and right at 1 hr away. Climate is much better for outdoor activities.
Though as you're well aware, that stretch of the gorge can be hell in the winter. But sure, for 3/4 of the year, it's a pretty drive, and a bit less congested than coming into Portland from the south or west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon