Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
People will give them gas just to get them to move on down the road....
Send a tanker out to get them headed home? My main concern is potential trashing of a wild but public area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
People will give them gas just to get them to move on down the road....
Gas station attendants won't. They are mostly minimum wage slaves who have to make their tills balance so they can't give out free gas. Why would local people care what kind of vagrants are hanging out at some gas station out by the freeway?

Old 07-07-2017, 07:14 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,420 times
What are they doing in Oregon? Why don't they go south to California where they belong?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:19 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Everyone knows that Oregon is where the "real" hippies hang out.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:28 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Forest Service says to stay away from the area.

"Forest Officials would like to strongly discourage the general public from visiting the gathering site because of the unknown health hazards that may remain.":

RAINBOW GATHERING: Stay away due to health risks | Elkhorn Media Group

Old 07-14-2017, 11:18 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
So legally, how was this Rainbow gathering different from the Malheur Refuge occupation last year?

In both instances you have outside groups descending onto public lands and occupying it without permission and then doing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage.

This is an honest question. Legally I don't see much difference. I'm guessing the Forest Service put up with the Rainbow folks because because they know it will be short-term. But it is still just as lawless as the right wing Malheur bunch.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
The Malheur occupation was not in the desert, it was in federal offices that prevented federal employees from going to work.

I doubt that Rainbow did "hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage." Historically they have been good about cleaning up sites, hauling off their own garbage, replanting vegetation and even coming back a year later to monitor the site. The only permanent contribution they left was about 4 tons of poop, deposited in latrines that were dug where the rangers told them to dig them.

The real impact was in the small surrounding communities, which found themselves deluged by hordes of religious nuts looking for a spiritual experience. As everyone knows, someone else's spiritual experience can be really irritating, but all you can do is hope they shut up and go away.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 PM

65 posts, read 61,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Tensions rising: Heated exchange erupts at Rainbow Gathering community meeting - Local News -

So they're going to crap all over the Canyon Creek Complex. 20,000+ dirty hippies. As if the area hasn't suffered enough from outsiders recently. You can't tell me that that many people camping with no toilets or washing facilities isn't going to cause significant damage to the area. For a group who claims to value environmental responsibility, the Rainbow Family sure has a funny way of showing it. I would stay far away from this area if I were going to view the eclipse (although their gathering is supposed to be over far before that, there are rumors that some of them will be hanging around through August. Even if they all leave, they'll have pretty much trashed the place). Who knows for how long their trenches they'll be using for restrooms will infect the groundwater.

ETA as usual, the Rainbows are talking about all the money they'll be spending in the area, but I don't think they're worth it. On one of the social media pages dedicated to their event, they're advising those traveling to it of the best food banks to stop at along the way to stock up. Bunch of drug-addled hypocrites AFAIC.

Uhmmm... Here in California we don't call them hippies. We call them Drain-bows.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Whatever happened with all the Rainbow Family stuff?

I haven't heard a word about it since July.

Good?

Bad?

Old 08-16-2017, 12:06 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:
Whatever happened with all the Rainbow Family stuff?

I haven't heard a word about it since July.

Good?

Bad?
People who went said it was good.

They set up the water filtration systems for Camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon