Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 with assets of approximately 155k and an income nearing 60k. Because I live in the Bay area area this relegates me to poverty. Is it possible I could use a small amount of money such as 40k as a downpayment to. It a multifamily unit and get off the bottom of the ownership food chain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 11:53 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
not sure about " multi family unit"s but def a duplex or SFH....

But factor in costs for managing a property long distance...

(we will be doing this with about your same $ numbers, not long distance though as we are here)....

Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Is that income going to come with you? Because salaries are a lot lower and good living wage jobs are hard to secure.

I think that $40,000 down payment gets a traditional mortgage for a house of about $200,000. That's going to be hard to find in any of the big cities. Move out to a smaller town or away from the big cities and you might be able to find that.

There are first time home buyer mortgages that require less of a down payment, so your $40k might qualify you for a bigger mortgage. You might want to contact 3-4 banks and speak to their loan officer and see what they can do for you.

Personally, I don't think "cheaper real estate" is a very good reason to pick a new state to live in. There are lots of states where real estate is cheaper than it is in The Bay Area of California (like probably 49 other states that are cheaper than the Bay Area of California), so you have lots of options for real estate and maybe should be considering a lot of other conditions that you might require before you choose a state to move to.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is that income going to come with you? Because salaries are a lot lower and good living wage jobs are hard to secure.

I think that $40,000 down payment gets a traditional mortgage for a house of about $200,000. That's going to be hard to find in any of the big cities. Move out to a smaller town or away from the big cities and you might be able to find that.

There are first time home buyer mortgages that require less of a down payment, so your $40k might qualify you for a bigger mortgage. You might want to contact 3-4 banks and speak to their loan officer and see what they can do for you.

Personally, I don't think "cheaper real estate" is a very good reason to pick a new state to live in. There are lots of states where real estate is cheaper than it is in The Bay Area of California (like probably 49 other states that are cheaper than the Bay Area of California), so you have lots of options for real estate and maybe should be considering a lot of other conditions that you might require before you choose a state to move to.
In theory it could but I'm going to just buy it as a rental. What about Salem? That looks like a nice temperate area.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:36 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
In theory it could but I'm going to just buy it as a rental. What about Salem? That looks like a nice temperate area.
It would be tough to find something that wasn't junked out or in a bad location for $200,000.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It would be tough to find something that wasn't junked out or in a bad location for $200,000.
I don't know, I mean when I google houses in say Salem I see pretty nice inches for 200k. They'd sell for a million here.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I don't know, I mean when I google houses in say Salem I see pretty nice inches for 200k. They'd sell for a million here.
Too bad you can't just teleport them to California. I suspect that if you go into a slum in some place like, say, Bakersfield, you could buy a cheap junked out house for $200,000 and still be in California.

If you are buying a rental, it is difficult to manage a rental out of state. You get a property manager to oversee the rental, but who is going to oversee the property manager? If you buy cheap rentals in bad areas you are going to get cheap destructive tenants. Good tenants won't rent a crappy house.

If you buy a junked out house, how are you going to renovate it? Who is going to oversee the contractors?

For a rental, you will have to have 20% or more as a down payment and the interest rate will be slightly higher. You have to get a commercial mortgage, not an owner occupied mortgage. Again, talk to a mortgage broker and see what you can do about mortgages.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 AM

PS: I did Bakersfield a disservice. There are really nice houses near $200,000 and the cheap junked out houses are considerably cheaper than that.

Let's not be hearing how nobody can afford a house in California.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
You can get a small cottage that is really nice for under $200k but you were talking duplexes. I agree with OWS that you aren't going to get good tenants in dubious locations and the rents will be lower.

Generally, with non-owner occupied properties you want to put down 25% to get the better interest rate. You will pay the investor rate and not the homeowner occupant rate so keep that in mind. Property managers generally charge in the 9-11% rate here and you will need to hire one since you are out of state.

So recrunch your numbers and make sure that it works the way you think it will.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
You will have better results from your South Carolina post. Housing in the South is still pretty inexpensive compared to Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon