Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,900 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

As the title states, I'm a 28 year old teacher who is looking to move to Oregon. Currently, I reside in metro Atlanta, but have been familiar with Oregon and visited sporadically over the years to see family in Milwaukie. So, I'm understanding of the weather and the dramatic change that would come as a result; escaping the intolerable summers is enough of a reason for the move. Escaping the less-than-open-minded mentality of the good ol' South is the best reason. I love all people, and want to live in a place where people love people too.

I'm not looking for utopia, but it certainly would be nice to find. Hah!

Here are some important things I'm taking into account while choosing an area to move:

- decent school system. I've worked in both under-funded schools and am currently in an award-winning system that focuses more on status than the needs of all students (not simply the AP and honors kiddos). So, a high school where students are individuals and each person matters is what I seek. I'm one of those overly passionate educators and devote a good deal of time to the job. Kids are the future, after all.

- pet friendly housing that can accommodate a trained 20 pound mutt and a 20 pound cat

- rent of no more than $950 as I will be living alone...unless you have roommate options...for June...

- close proximity to parks/ recreation areas. I spend most weekends hiking and finding some new nature to explore. Preference goes to areas that are not entirely flat.

- not terrible traffic...yet also not rural...if that can be a thing

- a walk-able downtown area or row of shops. This isn't the most important. However, as a new person to the state, I'd hope to be in a community where I wouldn't feel entirely isolated.

Most of these points can be marked off by Portland, but I worry about the affordability of the city and living options available for an individual with pets. If there is any other information that would be beneficial, please let me know.
Thank you in advance for any and all information you can impart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 06:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkin00 View Post
Hi there,

As the title states, I'm a 28 year old teacher who is looking to move to Oregon. ...
Here are some important things I'm taking into account while choosing an area to move:

- decent school system. ...

- pet friendly ...

- rent of no more than $950 as I will be living alone...unless you have roommate options...for June...

- close proximity to parks/ recreation areas. I spend most weekends hiking and finding some new nature to explore. Preference goes to areas that are not entirely flat.

- a walk-able downtown area or row of shops. This isn't the most important. However, as a new person to the state, I'd hope to be in a community where I wouldn't feel entirely isolated.

Most of these points can be marked off by Portland, but I worry about the affordability of the city and living options available for an individual with pets. If there is any other information that would be beneficial, please let me know.
If a teacher (in the 'public system), think / act / live 7 minutes NORTH of Portland... (Income tax free state with much better funded schools than OR) I know too many dissatisfied / underpaid / under-supported OR teachers, including (2) SIL that have been struggling with OR administrators for 25+ yrs.

Camas, Hockinson, Battleground, WA are 'high expectation / high delivery' school districts within 20 min to 30 min of Portland. (For your social needs). 100+ families move from OR to WA every month (for the last 20 yrs), often for schools...

If you MUST do Portland / Oregon... consider east of Portland; Corbett is 20 min rural, but very good schools and engaged parents + it is definitely NOT flat!! and access to excellent recreation (hiking / pics / water / snow). Troutdale / parts of Gresham, Boring, OR and Sandy would be worth a look.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:39 PM

You are brilliant for so many specific details, thank you. Washington has slightly more demanding reciprocity qualifications which has been a main deterrent from consideration. However, there's so much beauty in the state that I've certainly considered it as well! Portland is not a must...at all...it just simply seems to be the go-to city for individuals my age.
Again, thank you SO much for the response! I'm going to look into these areas tonight!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Every city in Oregon is close to nature. How small of a city are you willing to consider?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Oregon has much to enjoy, but a teaching career and accumulated wealth / wage earnings is more challenging there.

I feed them a lot of commerce from my businesses and referrals, and I appreciate their own challenges.

Oregon Coast / Mt Hood / Salem / Corvallis are all within about an hour from Vancouver WA. In the heat of the summer... we often run out to the OR coast for sunset (9- 10pm), then go out to eat halibut Fish&Chips, and are home by midnight. During busy days of doing repairs and needing special parts or industrial services, I may make 3+ trips to Portland / day.

It is not a bad state, but as with all.... there is room for improvement. Some things you can deal with, others are an impediment.

Politics, revenues, and state funding are very different than WA.
Much is very similar (Statistically, ... as would be expected within a region)
Washington vs. Oregon - State Comparison

these are good reasons,and the PNW has many great options
escaping the intolerable summers is enough of a reason for the move. Escaping the less-than-open-minded mentality of the good ol' South is the best reason.

As an adult educator & business person(Who is a job creator / hiring people) with clients / colleagues / and students on both sides of the border (for 35 yrs) ) I feel very strongly about the significant differences here:
less-than-open-minded
(Generalities which have proven out many times over in my situation... between OR (tolerance?, not really - Picture perfect example of 'group think') and WA (allows / encourages Acceptance and expression of free thought (without negative response))

Again. YMMV (as do most).

Give them each a try.

When researching a place I stay with local people who share my interests. I attend events / meetings / workshops with future peers. I can usually tell within 2 weeks if there is a 'fit' (sometimes 2 days is adequate)
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Talk to EVERYONE, ask a lot of questions, listen to HOW you are answered.
In my case, I spend a lot of time with tax assessors and community planners.

as an educator, you will be able to spend time within your field of interest.

If you are a HS teacher... be advised. WA offers FREE full time college to HS Jr and Seniors. (who pass an entrance exam) Public Schools (party line) are not keen on this (taking away some very talented and motivated students), but it is GREAT for thousands of students per yr since 1990. Worked terrific for my kids, most of their peers, and a couple of my bosses. Great HS programs exist also, and I feel it is probable that exceptional programs exist in both platforms. I am pleased there is a choice and more opportunity / benefit for the students to find the correct fit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

Old 10-10-2017, 02:12 AM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkin00 View Post
Hi there,

As the title states, I'm a 28 year old teacher who is looking to move to Oregon. Currently, I reside in metro Atlanta, but have been familiar with Oregon and visited sporadically over the years to see family in Milwaukie. So, I'm understanding of the weather and the dramatic change that would come as a result; escaping the intolerable summers is enough of a reason for the move. Escaping the less-than-open-minded mentality of the good ol' South is the best reason. I love all people, and want to live in a place where people love people too.

I'm not looking for utopia, but it certainly would be nice to find. Hah!

- decent school system. I've worked in both under-funded schools and am currently in an award-winning system that focuses more on status than the needs of all students (not simply the AP and honors kiddos). So, a high school where students are individuals and each person matters is what I seek. I'm one of those overly passionate educators and devote a good deal of time to the job. Kids are the future, after all.

- pet friendly housing that can accommodate a trained 20 pound mutt and a 20 pound cat

I would say any place, except Portland. You are right, it would be impossible to rent with two pets in Portland for $950. Expect to pay the typical $500 pet deposit for each of your pets, plus extra pet rent. Just send out your applications and see what you get.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I suspect that where you live is going to depend upon where you can find a job.

A small dog and a cat, you might be able to find a rental, but you might be light on rent costs.

Portland I s full of progressives who are very evolved and tolerant, but only towards other progressives and are not only hostile to anyone who doesn't think like they do, they will physically try to take away the rights of others. If you are a progressive yourself, you will be happy there, except you can't afford rent in Portland. Most of the rest of the state is typical PNW live and let live.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Every city in Oregon is close to nature. How small of a city are you willing to consider?
This is true! A city with at least 5,000 residents perhaps?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:11 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times
I live in Beaverton and the high schools in BSD are some of the best in the state. You could probably find roommates in the area. We are about ten miles outside of downtown Portland so close to nature and city life. Oregon as a state doesn’t fund it’s schools well and you will be deceived by test scores when you investigate district web sites. For example, PPS has a foundation system so a high school like Lincoln in Portland actually raises about a million a year and poorer high schools don’t have have foundations. BSD doesn’t have school foundations. Something to consider.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Keep in mind the fact that foundations must share their resources with other schools, not just the school they are soliciting for. The BIG difference is not the money but the time spent by parents who are talented professionals in support of specific academic areas. That is why some Beaverton-Hillsboro students win science awards (Intel parents), Lincoln often wins speech/debate (lawyer's kids).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon