Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times

Advertisements

I can either drive from Seattle to Boise over the Cascades or drive down to Portland and take 84 east to Boise this Thanksgiving. Crossing the Cascades on 90 can be treacherous and horrifically crowded holidays, and I'm wondering if driving east from Portland would be any better traffic-wise and road condition-wise. It would be worth the extra couple hours driving time to avoid bad snow and crowds.

What's your experience driving east of Portland toward Boise in the colder months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
This decision is one I have encountered as well over many decades. There are variables in play here.

When a winter storm is approaching the Cascades, neither route is trouble-free. While I-90 could be snowy, the road crews usually keep it pretty clear with just minor delays. I-84, in the same winter storm could provide ice conditions, which in some ways are worse than snow conditions. The wildcard is how cold it gets and where that freezing and/or snow level is. There are some situations where it will snow on Snoqualmie, but just rain through the gorge. But other times, it can be slushy snow on Snoqualmie, and Ice through the gorge. The key is to watch the forecasts and be willing to be flexible.

I would also add that Thanksgiving usually isn't the coldest part of a PNW winter. That is usually reserved for later in December and January, (though Seattle has had some crazy Thanksgiving storms over the years).

My best advice is to watch the forecasts, be flexible, and make sure you are prepared for winter conditions with good tires, blankets, and snacks. I, personally, have never bought or used chains in 40 years of crossing the pass/gorge. But perhaps I am just lucky.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:41 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
On the day after Thanksgiving a few years ago I made the drive from Seattle to Baker City, Oregon, which is on I-84.

The weather forecast was bad. It was really, really bad for I-90 over the Cascades so I drove down to Portland and took I-84 east through the Gorge. I was glad I did. It turned out Snoqualmie Pass was almost impassable.

It depends on the weather. You won't know which route to take until you look at the weather reports and road conditions just before you leave.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:08 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
The drive down I-5 to Portland during Thanksgiving is also likely to be very sucky. I have been in slow moving congestion from Seattle all the way to Longview at times.

My advice? Be prepared for for snow and adverse weather regardless of the route as you can hit snow and ice east of Pendleton and in the gorge. Then just google map the traffic and pick the best route according to traffic conditions that day.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 PM

Thank you!

I'm hearing to be flexible on my route depending on the weather and road conditions based on the time when I need to leave the house...not the weather report from the night before. I'll expect to leave enough time for the longer route in the event I have to do Portland.

On that note, I hear ya about Seattle to Longview traffic. That was going to be my next question about what it's like getting through Portland on Thanksgiving (anything like Seattle? If so, that's another serious data point to consider).

Then question #2 is - the Thanksgiving traffic over the Cascades, even in the best of weather, can be so jam-packed, I simply never do it. This year, however, I must. I don't know what traffic is like from Portland to Boise. Is it as crowded on 84 as it is on 90, in your experience?

You know, it seems the really bad snow comes right after Thanksgiving, that actual weekend. I remember it started snowing Friday, the day after, in 2006, and we were without power for FOUR days...and we have a well, so no running water, let alone heat and light. Yeah, Thanksgiving can throw some real surprises!

Thanks for all the details, everyone. I will remember every one.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:47 PM

Holiday weekends = heavy traffic eastbound out of Portland and Seattle, and the reverse at the end of the weekend. So for Thanksgiving, avoid Wednesday eastbound and Sunday westbound.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Holiday weekends = heavy traffic eastbound out of Portland and Seattle, and the reverse at the end of the weekend. So for Thanksgiving, avoid Wednesday eastbound and Sunday westbound.
We're thinking if we leave super early Thursday morning heading east, we might avoid crowds. Then, we're going to head back west on Saturday for sure, hoping by not driving on Sunday, we again will miss the hordes. Of course, what seems logical to us may be utterly wrong. Have you or anyone tried driving from Seattle on Thanksgiving early, like 5 or 6 am? If so, did you avoid the crowded roads? How about returning on Saturday as opposed to Sunday?

Thanks!!!

Old 10-30-2017, 11:30 PM

Absolutely, like air travel, highway travel is usually light on the actual holiday. Unless I jinx it with this post!

Old 10-31-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Absolutely, like air travel, highway travel is usually light on the actual holiday. Unless I jinx it with this post!
Ah, no you won't! You've been a great help! Thanks for making me feel like my plan might work after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon