Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:38 AM

94 posts, read 130,610 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking to relocate from CA for a while. Its too expensive for me to own a home here and sick of always live paycheck to paycheck, and I dont like the endless summer. I love CA beaches and palm trees but I think I can give them up if the trade off is being able to get a home and build a savings account.

I moved to WA and I didnt see the sun for most of winter. I dont mind overcast days, but this was black sky. I got depressed and moved back, despite the affordable nice townhouse I had on the lovely tree lined quiet street. I then moved to TX but it was humid and I was attacked by the biggest meanest red fire ants that left welts on my body. Im currently back in CA and Interested in Tigard (portland suburbs). Im not a city girl. I dont like traffic, smog, crime, large homeless population, unkept streets.... I like the mix of rural with suburban. I just have to be in driving distance to jobs. Hopefully 30 minute commute to 45 min max.

I have visited Tigard and Lake Oswego before. I loved it! The mall was great, lake was great, tree lined streets, area felt safe, not too hot, laid back vibes. Only thing I didnt like was downtown portland. Didnt feel safe there. Love the suburbs! Lake Oswego was pricey and no point in moving to another place out of my budget, dispite how lovely it was. But Tigard seems possible. You can get a home for $400K there that would cost $700K in CA. I would miss my beaches but as long as there is other outdoor recreation I think I can adjust. I dont like the whole cant pump your own gas thing. That was weird. I love the no sales tax. And the minimum wage is good dispite the high unemployment rate (5% compared to 3% at comparible places). I only visited for a short time and would love to know more. How hard is it to get work? What do people do for fun during all the rainy days? What are the beaches like?

Im currently in the Mortgage industry but have a resume that includes 15 years of customer service management, retail and office jobs, some data entry. Im in my 30s, divorced, no kids, love to travel, read, shop, try new resturants. Im vegetarian, christian church attender, I like hiking or walking around the lake, I love animals and volunteer at the rescuesl, I love fresh air and trees... minus the bugs. I hate bugs!! I love camping. I enjoy my quiet time. Love to get my nails done and hair done and enjoy nice wine. I have tattoos. In CA jobs are accepting of that and thats important. I love football and basketball games. Easy to get along with, love making new friends with other down to earth people, but not big on the "singles" scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 AM

991 posts, read 1,522,262 times
You sound like a good fit for the PDX suburbs. The first thing would be to start looking for a job...it's tough to get a good paying job in PDX. Also you should consider the Wilsonville / Sherwood area as you get a little more rural feel on the outer edges of the towns. To me they seem safer than Tigard.

What do people do for fun on rainy days? Sit inside by the fire and watch movies, cook, surf the internet, etc....
Beaches...a huge difference from Socal, the "coast" is almost always very cold...definitely not a spot to go sunbathing.

Perhaps try to get a job in Lake O @ a mortgage company.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2017, 11:28 AM

94 posts, read 130,610 times
Thanks for the tip I will check out those cities. While sitting around the fire watching movies sounds great I don't think I'll meet any new friends that way. Since I'll be new I'm hoping to meet some people and make some friends. And I know it rains quite a lot so I'm hoping everyone doesn't stay cooped up inside. When I was living in Washington and I only met one person at the gym in the six months I was there. Not ideal. I do like sunshine at the beach but I don't like to be hot. Anything above 75° and I'm sweating and want to go sit in the air-conditioning! It was 80° here yesterday at the beach and I left to go sit in my car with the air on because it was just uncomfortable to me. I actually like going to the beach at night and doing bonfires and roasting marshmallows. Our summer nights are lovely because it's like 70° and you have that cold ocean breeze but it's also not raining so you can cook out/bonfire. Are the beaches there vacant due to the weather or do people still go ?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 AM

991 posts, read 1,522,262 times
Sherwood has a YMCA that is quite nice and you would meet people there...there are plenty of clubs to join with those that have similar interests. What do you like to do?

People do go to the beaches, just don't expect to be in shorts unless it's a heat wave. Plenty of folks do bonfires, and it's really great to go to storm watch...things van get pretty exciting on the coast in the winter.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:13 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,913,557 times
You can buy in Tigard for under 300k if you are fine with a townhome. Check out Progress Ridge area which borders Tigard and Beaverton and is close to the freeway. I moved out to the burbs from Portland and have been very happy though I have kids and stay here for the schools. I meet many younger singles out here who enjoy the close proximity to downtown Portland, about ten miles away, and Uber and Lyft are popular choices for getting home from the Max train. Our train stations are very nice out this way. We are about an hour and 15 minutes from the coast and it's a nice drive. Summer is gorgeous at Cannon Beach but the water is too cold to swim without a wetsuit. Check out Washington Park which is less than ten miles away and has the zoo, Rose Garden, Portland Japanese Garden and other attractions. I have found that Tigard/ Beaverton has a large Christian, Mormon, Catholic and Muslim populations and everyone co- exists just fine. Washington Mall is my go to for pretty much everything I need but Bridgeport Village is in Tigard too. They have live music in the summer and I really like the movie theater there. It's an outdoor walkable mall.
I am originally from SF and have lived on east coast many years before settling back on west here in Portland Metro. We lived in Portland first and now Beaverton. Hope this helps you.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 PM

628 posts, read 820,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
You sound like a good fit for the PDX suburbs. The first thing would be to start looking for a job...it's tough to get a good paying job in PDX. Also you should consider the Wilsonville / Sherwood area as you get a little more rural feel on the outer edges of the towns. To me they seem safer than Tigard.
If she didn't like Washington State, than why would she be a good fit for Northern Oregon? According to city-data statistics, the amount of sunny days per year is almost negligible.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:41 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,057,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
I moved to WA and I didnt see the sun for most of winter. I dont mind overcast days, but this was black sky. I got depressed and moved back
Northwest Oregon isn't much different.
Most of winter will be overcast and dreary.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
If she didn't like Washington State, than why would she be a good fit for Northern Oregon? According to city-data statistics, the amount of sunny days per year is almost negligible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Northwest Oregon isn't much different.
Most of winter will be overcast and dreary.
I was thinking that as well. I lived in Tigard at one time, I didn't find it to be any more sunny than the rest of Portland or the overcast parts of Washington State. If depression from SAD is a concern, that's definitely something to consider.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
I read your post, OP, and my reaction is most certainly not that you would be happy in oregon.

Have you looked at some of the less expensive places in California? Many places in California have cheaper real estate than the cities in oregon and t hey have much more sunshine.

Or maybe by one of the big reservoirs in Arizona or Nevada where there would be lakeside beaches and much more sunny weather.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 AM

628 posts, read 820,316 times
I think the OP may be happier in Southern Oregon (ie Medford) and/or the Cascadia part of Northern California near the Oregon border. I still consider places like Shasta, Eureka and Humbolt County the Pacific Northwest. It's really much more Mediterranean in climate with significantly less overcast and rainy days, but with much of the same natural beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon