Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Great communities with Waldorf schools, progressive town, educated people,

Old 07-21-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,055 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four - (children 5 & 9) who are ready to leave the Bay Area - it's been a great place for us, but we are ready to slow down and have a simpler, cheaper, slower life...

The tricky thing is, our children are in Waldorf/Steiner Schools and we hope to continue with that kind of education. Given that, we are considering Oregon (Bend, Eugene, or Ashland) or perhaps Nevada City, CA. The postings about OR having a terrible public school system have me concerned - though we won't use them, it still is an important indicator of overall health and well-being of a state

If anyone knows of other great communities with Waldorf schools anywhere else in the country, please let me know! My husband just has to be able to access an airport.

An ideal place: progressive, small/medium size town, creative/educated people, near a good sized city...we've lived in Mill Valley, CA and it has all those things, but it's just gotten too over the top...

Thanks for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:04 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,857,658 times
I'd suggest you do a google search for your Waldorf schools. if you don't find much then ask at the school that your kids attend.

Some of the schools in oregon are pretty good in spite of the complaining.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:41 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,671,961 times
Don't know much about Waldorf schools, but in general, Oregon public schools do a decent job.

From the Bay Area, I would suggest Eugene first, (and from your post, would guess southside would be what you are looking for). Overall, the Eugene, Springfield area is less expensive, with similar values, especially in the south Eugene neighborhoods. If you want a small version of the Bay Area, Eugene is my suggestion.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:45 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,627,441 times
There is a Waldorf school here in Corvallis. I'm not sure what kind of a reputation it has, but I can say I haven't heard anything negative about it. We considered it for our son, but determined the educational style wouldn't have been a good fit for his personality.

As for Oregon having a terrible public school system, I've seen that mentioned several times in posts and I have say that everyone should look at the generality of that statement. It's true that the state budget for education has made it rough for school districts, but to color all schools as being "terrible" is unfair to the districts that have done a lot with the little they get and the communities that have made public education a priority (i.e. passing school bond measures), not to mention the committed educators who make the best of the situation. My son's Kindergarten class this year had about 30 students. Would I have liked there to be fewer students? Yes. But thanks to his teachers and a cadre of really involved parents it turned out to be a great year. Also I should mention he had physical education, art, and music...IN KINDERGARTEN!!! It's not chalk and slates here, folks!

I'm only one person with one year of experience, and I'm sure others who read these boards have had bad public education experiences, but I think a community that comes together can make it work even under trying budgetary circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon