Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

Hey y’all!
I’m originally from Northern California but that was 35 years ago. I’d like to relocate to Oregon but I’m unsure of where to start. I have a residential cleaning business and would like to know how well that might support me and what the going rate for house cleaning is in Oregon?
I would like to live near the coast as this is what I miss the most. I don’t want to live in a highly populated or touristy area. Something small with a delightful country charm. Lots of walking/hiking areas would be nice. A quiet and virtually crime free area.
Is this to much to ask for? Do places like this even exist? Lol
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 PM

812 posts, read 1,062,778 times
Per your stated preferences, I think you posted in the wrong Oregon subgroup....

Old 01-27-2019, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 4,184 times
I’m totally not up to par on this site or where to post. Help!

Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 AM

740 posts, read 1,251,332 times
I can't help with many of your questions, for instance not knowing what house cleaning rates are. I wouldn't call this a highly populated area, but it is growing and it is definitely touristy. Lots of outdoor sports and plenty of trails to hike. The growth has kicked the housing prices up quite a bit in the last 10 years and locals complain about the traffic. All relative to what you have experienced before however. The coast is about a 3 -4 hour drive from central Oregon, so you probably want to look at the small towns there, not here in the high desert.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,752,127 times
You should be posting on the general Oregon forum, not the Bend subforum.

As for a cleaning business, in the Bend area there are a LOT of AirB&B type rentals, especially in Sunriver. Also along the coast. That would be one option. They are always looking for house cleaners. I don't know about the rates though.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:05 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Bend is a long commute to the coast. Plan on about 6 hours driving, which will allow for some traffic blockage and not stress you over time schedules. You can do it faster if there are no wrecks, rock slides, road construction, or heavy snow and ice, but usually there is something that slows traffic.

In Bend, house cleaners get $35 an hour or $25 per room, depending upon their own way of figuring pay. I don't know what you would get on the coast. I would guess it would be less.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:58 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
thread moved to Oregon forum
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 01-28-2019, 11:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
For your tastes / desires, and if you don't need a nearby airport.... Consider southern OR coast (much better weather, less traffic / visitors).

Plenty of retirees / Air B&B / prop management companies needing cleaning help.

I recommend focusing on a few wealthy clients, and referrals will come. (These people do not advertise on CL for help wanted...). a SIL in Hawaii has been able to get cleaning / house sitting gigs from wealthy clients for last 40 yrs (no housing required on her part).

SIL just moved to Yachats (central coast). It is nice / and sleepy. But much more of a wet climate than southern coast. (And far more crowded with tourists, as it is accessible from Portland and Eugene for a quick trip.)

Old 01-28-2019, 12:11 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Well if you move to Oceanside (population 361) or Netarts (pop 744), you could clean houses in Tillamook or drive up to Manzanita to clean homes? I mean you need people around in order to be able to clean their homes. What size town are you wanting? Oregon coastal cities are all small.

I'm not sure what country charm on the coast means. They all have some sort of tourist industry with vacation rentals and such.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
House cleaning pays what the traffic will bear. It's hard to find someone. Individuals running their own business will advertise for 2 or 3 months until their client list fills up, then are word of mouth only. They can do it as long as their health doesn't fail or the IRS puts them out of business for not paying taxes, whichever comes first.

You can also work for a janitorial service, which pays less. In return you get bookkeeping and billing, comp insurance, liability insurance, and a bond that lets you do commercial accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon