Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 12,665 times

Advertisements

I am a middle aged city boy thinking about buying a farm to live on with my wife in retirement. I am looking for something private, low-crime, affordable, good soil, and reasonably good weather (not too humid and not too much snow). And friendly folks are certainly a plus. I probably will do some target shooting and maybe a little hunting. In checking out the internet, both NW Arkansas (e.g., near Winslow) and NE Arkansas (e.g., near Paragould) seem like possiblilities. I am partial to Arkansas because I spent my early childhood there (Fort Smith and Pine Bluff), but I have lived on the East Coast for many years, and would certainly be viewed as an outsider. I had expected NW Arkansas to be lower humidity and more snow than NE Arkansas but the climate statistics I have seen do not really bear that out. It looks like NE Arkansas may be a little better off financially. What are the main differences between the two regions? Any advice for me in comparing the two areas? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 PM

99 posts, read 350,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Farmer View Post
I am a middle aged city boy thinking about buying a farm to live on with my wife in retirement. I am looking for something private, low-crime, affordable, good soil, and reasonably good weather (not too humid and not too much snow). And friendly folks are certainly a plus. I probably will do some target shooting and maybe a little hunting. In checking out the internet, both NW Arkansas (e.g., near Winslow) and NE Arkansas (e.g., near Paragould) seem like possiblilities. I am partial to Arkansas because I spent my early childhood there (Fort Smith and Pine Bluff), but I have lived on the East Coast for many years, and would certainly be viewed as an outsider. I had expected NW Arkansas to be lower humidity and more snow than NE Arkansas but the climate statistics I have seen do not really bear that out. It looks like NE Arkansas may be a little better off financially. What are the main differences between the two regions? Any advice for me in comparing the two areas? Thank you.
I know basically... nothing about NW Arkansas. However, I did grow up NEA. It is definitely affordable with a fairly low cost of living, especially compared to the rest of the country. You can find some very private areas there. Crime, as I last remember, was mostly drug-related. Luckily, if you don't mess with it, they usually don't mess with you. That is how I perceived it anyways. Some of the farmers there told me NEA has very rich soil. Crops I remember from the farm I lived on were: rice, cotton, soy beans, corn, and milo. (I still get nostalgic every fall during harvest season.) NEA can have some very humid summer days. Being in the middle of a cotton field raises the temp/humidity substantially! You don't have to deal with much snow there (other than last week, see my pics posted in the thread NEA Snow). I am not sure about your statement of NEA being better off financially. Most people associate NEA with limited job opportunities. However, new industries are coming in and places like Jonesboro and Paragould offer more than the surrounding rural areas. Hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any other ?'s about the area.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times
You mention good soil, what type of farming are you thinking about doing? Cropping in the Ozarks is limited. The land is typically more suited to grazing. If you just want a garden spot to raise a few veggies then you can do that there no problem but if you are wanting to do a bit more to say supplement your income or something then you might be better off looking at NEA.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,427 times
The Delta of the northeast is good for growing all sorts of things.
The weather, despite statistics, is noticeably better in the Ozarks. Less humidity, and often a little cooler. Spend a little time in both, and you'll be able to feel the difference. It's there.
Eastern Arkansas is remarkably flat in most places, and it has frequent problems with flooding. If you find land on Crowley's Ridge, it will be a little better. Crowley's Ridge is a string of hills in eastern Arkansas. The soil on the ridge is muddy clay like the flatland around it, so there's no rocky soil to deal with.

I'm not as familiar with NWA, but it always seemed a bit of a nicer place to me. Jonesboro's a decent enough town, but if you pick Paragould, you'll have to adjust to it's quirks. For years, Paragould didn't have much in the way of zoning. Now they do, and it's growing some, and it just looks a bit wierd. Not the most attractive little town out there. Used car lots are EVERYWHERE!!! I don't know how any of them make any money. Honestly, they often just sell to each other.... car lot to car lot...

Last edited by northbound74; 03-11-2009 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I would guess and I don't know but I trust Stormcrow, if really farming is what you want, NWA isn't the best. If you just want to grow a garden for your own use and want good weather than look at NWA. We do have really ideal weather as far as I am concerned. The summers are humid but the day time temps not all that high and the winters are pretty mild compared to many places in the country..

Both areas offer a fairly low cost of living but I would guess NEA is lower.
Even with all that being said, I love NWA.

Nita

Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would guess and I don't know but I trust Stormcrow, if really farming is what you want, NWA isn't the best. If you just want to grow a garden for your own use and want good weather than look at NWA. We do have really ideal weather as far as I am concerned. The summers are humid but the day time temps not all that high and the winters are pretty mild compared to many places in the country..

Both areas offer a fairly low cost of living but I would guess NEA is lower.
Even with all that being said, I love NWA.

Nita
Just to clarify my earlier, if the OP wants a decently sized farm focused on row cropping with the expectation of actual commercial potential, then the Ozarks is not the place to do it. I'm betting the OP is looking for something more along the lines of a hobby farm. If it produces something then great but if not, no big deal. If that's the case then NWA would be fine. Basically, there's little to no profit to be made from farming the Ozarks.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Just to clarify my earlier, if the OP wants a decently sized farm focused on row cropping with the expectation of actual commercial potential, then the Ozarks is not the place to do it. I'm betting the OP is looking for something more along the lines of a hobby farm. If it produces something then great but if not, no big deal. If that's the case then NWA would be fine. Basically, there's little to no profit to be made from farming the Ozarks.
thanks Stormcrow, I thought that is pretty much want you meant and I have so much respect for those who do try to make a few bucks on what they grow here in Benton and Washington counties. They work hard to make a $$ or so.

Nita

Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Basically, there's little to no profit to be made from farming the Ozarks.
There is a huge 'cash crop' business in AR, if ya know what I mean, SC.

Some older folks who I believe have told me it is the #1 ag product in the state, passing cotton and rice.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 AM

437 posts, read 929,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Farmer View Post

Well i don't know if this city is in NWA or NEA but Mountain Home is a good city for living. fishing, and hunting and of course farming....we do have a population of 11,012(or that was the last census) but crime is fairly low.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
There is a huge 'cash crop' business in AR, if ya know what I mean, SC.

Some older folks who I believe have told me it is the #1 ag product in the state, passing cotton and rice.
Well...yeah there is that one. Someone decided they'd plant a crop on my grandfathers land one time. They wound up losing their investment to a bonfire. We could be one rich state if the government decides they really need the tax dollars that might generate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas