Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 871 times

Advertisements

Good morning!
I'm planning our move from the Washington peninsula down and across to South Carolina. We will be traveling in late February to early March, and I know there will be passes I will want to avoid. We are traveling in our 2021 Mazda crossover with AWD, no moving truck to worry about as it's a military move. I'm looking at tire chains already, but I know I need help with the passes and how to avoid them through Oregon and Cali, and potentially how to get around them the quickest. I really want to just get as south as possible, because then we can just head east and be fine for the most part (we made the drive out this way in Nov of '18 so we know what to expect on the east/west highway). I know I want to go down to Olympia and then hit south that way, but I don't know where to go from there, and haven't traveled on I-5 ever. We went around Cali in '18 cause of the wild fires all over the state. Any help is appreciated, and a tried and true route from someone who's done this before would be a God send. Thank you so much for any and all help that can be offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 05:41 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,786 times
Just take the coats route Hwy 101. Very rare that you'll hit much snow on the coast and it's a beautiful drive

Old 12-04-2021, 05:56 PM

1,320 posts, read 870,373 times
Going as South as possible (for example, along I-80, I-70, or even I-40) provides a false sense of security as snow and ice can be found anywhere along the Continental Divide and adjacent areas due to the high elevations associated with the Divide and the Rocky Mountains and the Colorado and Wyoming Plateau region. For example, I drove I-40 in winter through AZ/NM for several years and got caught in some pretty nasty snow storms, one in December and a few in February. Once, we were driving I-10 and while passing through Lordsburg, NM, the snow was so bad that the interstate shut down for 12 hours and we had to spend the night there.

I would personally take I-84 from Portland to Salt Lake City. This route largely follows the Columbia River for a while and then goes through Southern Idaho and down into Northern Utah. As far as I know, this route doesn't cross any major mountain passes like the other interstates do and is pretty low elevation throughout the duration (like between 2,000 - 3,000 ft).

From there, I would take I-80 east. Once you get past Wyoming, I would then go down as far south as you can as there will be much less risk for poor weather in the Southeast part of the country as you go south.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Watch the 10day forecast and have a plan B,C,D,E

Very possible it will be clear, but storms happen.

For speed... I would drive 84>80>287 (Laramie)>25>I-70. (did that route as a trucker for many years, snow, wind, ice, fog... But usually clear.

Otherwise... I-5 south to I-10

Coast route is slow (and dangerous) but fine if you have several days and desire variety. Freezing fog has made my coast trips very slow and treacherous. March should be late enough to avoid that.

I drive at night to avoid traffic and give my vehicle (and tires) cool moist air.
During daylight I will swim, eat, read, take a nap and be ready to cruise come nightfall.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:36 AM

32,665 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Just go down I-5. The highway will be well plowed and there is only one pass to worry about.

The coast road going south is lovely,.. it will be pouring rain the entire way and it is a very slow way to travel. Long stretches are posted 25 mph and there will be tourist traffic driving slow and gawking, even in the middle of winter.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:46 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkessler View Post
Good morning!
I'm planning our move from the Washington peninsula down and across to South Carolina. We will be traveling in late February to early March, and I know there will be passes I will want to avoid. We are traveling in our 2021 Mazda crossover with AWD, no moving truck to worry about as it's a military move. I'm looking at tire chains already, but I know I need help with the passes and how to avoid them through Oregon and Cali, and potentially how to get around them the quickest. I really want to just get as south as possible, because then we can just head east and be fine for the most part (we made the drive out this way in Nov of '18 so we know what to expect on the east/west highway). I know I want to go down to Olympia and then hit south that way, but I don't know where to go from there, and haven't traveled on I-5 ever. We went around Cali in '18 cause of the wild fires all over the state. Any help is appreciated, and a tried and true route from someone who's done this before would be a God send. Thank you so much for any and all help that can be offered.
Simple: US-101 South to Los Angeles, I-10 East to Jacksonville, I-95 North to your destination. No tire chains needed. I don't think there are any mountain passes on the entire route. At least none significant.

It will add about 1,000 miles to your trip, and increase your travel time from about six days to eight days. But it will be a beautiful coastal and desert drive all the way.

Seattle, WA to Charleston - Google Maps

Old 12-06-2021, 10:45 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,113,308 times
I've done NE Oregon (leave location) to Langley AFB, in Virginia in January for a PCS with a 2wd pickup and a Nissan 280ZX two days after a major blizzard blew through. We followed right behind the storm the whole way across the country. We made it just fine because those northern roads and towns are prepared to maintain travel right after a major snowstorm. Before that, I did Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City back to NE Oregon for Christmas each year. Then done Mountain Home, ID to Rapid City SD 3 - 4 round trips a year, to include pre-post Christmas, for the past 12 or so years. I've only been stuck once due to weather, and that was after I left the freeway in Lusk, WY. I-84/I15 to Salt Lake City doesn't close often, but NE Oregon is your most likely closure spot. I have certainly driven through some cold, cold winds across Wyoming on I-80, and all the exits have gates, but I only had to divert for an accident, not the road conditions. I-25 south to Denver it's more traffic problems than snow problems. Then pick up I70 in Denver and take it across.

You are not really gaining anything by driving way south on I-5, to say I-40. You still have to cross the southern Rocky Mountains, so can get snow or ice there too. Oklahoma City can get ice storms that time of year too, so why add all that extra time and miles. If you do get stuck due to a storm between Eastern Oregon and St Louis, those roads will very likely be open the next day. You might be adding 2 - 4 days to your trip driving south to L.A, so a 1 - 2 day delay on the northern freeways would be worthwhile to me.

Check with Mazda to see if you can put chains on your vehicle. Many newer SUVs won't allow chains, but maybe cable or straps are all you can use. Not much help keeping you moving in a storm either way. Top speed will be around 30 mph, so probably better to stop if it's that bad. Either the freeways will be open or closed. Icy/snowy spots mean you slow down and take your time.

Good luck and have a good move. It's good you are planning this far out.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times
I drive between the Peninsula and the Bay Area every 4 -6 weeks for the last 3 years and numerous times before that.
I drive I-5 most of the way.
The only issue might be the Siskiyou Mountains.

I normally drive a Honda CR-V w/ all wheel drive.
It has only gotten sketchy for me 3 times and each time only lasted about 30 minutes.
When I say sketchy I mean fast falling snow twice that made the road hazardous and one slowdown for people to put chains on.
When it was hazardous it was still safe as long as I drove slow.
I was never concerned about the safety because I know how to drive in snow.
I was concerned about them closing the road once but that never happened.

You can Google road-trip weather report and get several hits.
Just toss in your route and it will keep updating road reports.

I would go down 5 and only use 101 if I was up the creek without a paddle.
That is just too long of a road and will take forever.
Good luck.

Old 12-07-2021, 01:48 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times
If you consider using I-84, know about Emigrant / Cabbage Hill between Pendleton and La Grande.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...OoqF_T7ZY7_mnw It is a pretty unusual, long, constant steep grade wind up and down the hill.

I probably would not go that way unless the weather was good, there and across Wyoming.

Time out when you get to passes to be in late morning / early afternoon to benefit from morning plowing and tire action.

If you use coastal 101, probably stay on it to at least Ukiah CA then over to I5 and I10. I'd switch onto I20 in Texas over thru Atlanta instead of I10 all the way unless dictated by weather.

I40 across Arizona and New Mexico could be fine some weeks, a hassle others. I40 between Knoxville and Asheville can be fairly bad in winter, by southeast regional standards. If you use 40, I'd cut south at Nashville if the weather is bad.

I-70 has the most passes, so I wouldn't use it for that reason and ski traffic, especially on weekends or anytime going east late in day.

Look at accuweather or other long range / monthly forecasts 7-10 days from trip to make final consideration of options.

If you think you need a motel, decide that 1-2 hours before others do.

Leave 1-3 days before the latest possible date if you can, to give a buffer if weather gets too bad or something happens.

Take anything valuable into the motel overnight and keep an eye and ear open on your vehicle at night. (During day stops too. I'll carry some stuff with me rather than leave in car for 5-30 minutes. But both have risks.)

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-07-2021 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 01:57 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
US101. Nice drive South bound because in Oregon the views. Take 2-3 days in Or because of sights, town and road speeds. I Rarely (very rare because the ocean affect) will you see any snow or ice on US101-3-capes cutoff. Oregon's coast is different from Washington's coast. Oregon-CA border is Redwood country.
I-5 is boring. It's an Interstate built for fast intercity military and commercial use. If you want fast then do US 97 on the eastern side of the Cascades into CA. Much more interesting scenery, just no ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon