Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 07:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,928,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And so now you are okay with that fact, and don't think any changes need to be made?
My opinion hasn't changed since the last time you tried to pick a fight with me over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 07:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,928,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And so now you are okay with that fact, and don't think any changes need to be made?
My opinion hasn't changed since the last time you tried to pick a fight with me over it. Never blamed local LE, as you're trying to claim, though.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,964,100 times
I believe Oregon and Portland specifically are anti-growth and this is slowing growth. If the issue is different from Seattle, so be it, but say goodbye to ever competing with their neighbor to the north.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:01 AM

32,757 posts, read 48,442,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I believe Oregon and Portland specifically are anti-growth and this is slowing growth. If the issue is different from Seattle, so be it, but say goodbye to ever competing with their neighbor to the north.
I don't think Portland is particularly anti-growth, but why on earth would they ever want to compete with Seattle? Seattle is hardly a shining goal to try to copy. Seattle is a **** hole and fast turning into an even worse **** hole. Anyone that thinks Seattle is an ideal place to live has the option of living in Seattle.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:37 PM

My comparison to Seattle was fleeting. The real issue is the loss of population. Sorry, but a western state with a population loss is not a good sign.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,836 posts, read 58,425,117 times
Quote:
... a western state with a population loss is not a good sign.
Really?

Seems positive to many who live in western states. We may have outgrown our britches. A little selective and purposeful pruning is good for the LT health of a growing and productive living species.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:41 AM

5,543 posts, read 7,840,588 times
Quote:
My comparison to Seattle was fleeting. The real issue is the loss of population. Sorry, but a western state with a population loss is not a good sign.
This is what we are actually talking about here. These are the long-term population trends for the three states in the Pacific Northwest

In 1980 Oregon had 1.690 million MORE people than Idaho
In 1990 Oregon had 1.847 million MORE people than Idaho
In 2000 Oregon had 2.131 million MORE people than Idaho
In 2010 Oregon had 2.267 million MORE people than Idaho
In 2021 Oregon had 2.245 million MORE people than Idaho

Old 02-24-2023, 07:01 PM

15,614 posts, read 40,583,585 times
Quote:
It may or may not be a real population loss. That number is a census estimate.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:13 PM

Well still it is disappointing. States need to grow for economic expansion. Oregon seems right at the bubble and has an uncertain growth outlook. Oregon is committing suicide in my opinion. It will decline due to their policies. I expect these policies will make Oregon a depressed State within a year or two. Extreme liberal ideas don’t work. Moderate is the answer for robust cities.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-24-2023 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-25-2023, 11:34 AM

2,686 posts, read 3,885,755 times
Quote:
Well still it is disappointing. States need to grow for economic expansion. Oregon seems right at the bubble and has an uncertain growth outlook. Oregon is committing suicide in my opinion. It will decline due to their policies. I expect these policies will make Oregon a depressed State within a year or two. Extreme liberal ideas don’t work. Moderate is the answer for robust cities.

I do not think future outlook of Oregon is uncertain. It is pretty clear. It will decline and go the way of California.

The folks living here have lived and witnessed decades of flawed approaches and the Kate Brown/Wheeler/PDX City Council debacles of last several years. Yet they still choose to vote for same type of leadership that will continue same stupid ideas. At this moment, there is little hope for positive change in Oregon mindset.

OR is one of highest taxed states in history of USA. Coffers in Salem are overflowing. Yet unlike in many states, there is ZERO movement to reduce taxation/regulation. Instead it is just the opposite, these folks continue to increase costs on the population and add additional non-value, regulation every year. We now have a METRO taxes to fund homeless bureaucracy (which will do little to remove hoboes from streets), tolls are soon to envelope the PDX area and we already have one of the highest income tax rates in the country.

Actually it is surprising Oregon is not listed with CA, IL and NY as one of the states people are fleeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon