Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 AM

18 posts, read 85,515 times

Advertisements

I don't know if what we seek is available anywhere but would like to get as close as possible or know what we have to adjust for.

1. Average temps above 50
2. Don't mind hot or cold stretches but not extended
3. Sunny more than cloudy
4. Near fishing

My sister lives in Corvallis where temps are good but afraid of the rain and also not crazy about the availability of decent housing. REALLY like Bend but appears that it might be too cold most of the year. I could accept a few months of snow but not really sure what the weather is really like there. Love the access to outdoor activities and medium size town.

I know employment is not good at this time but really isn't good anywhere so we are planning to move if/when things start to improve. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
[quote=Fishing Crazy;10317469]REALLY like Bend but appears that it might be too cold most of the year. I could accept a few months of snow but not really sure what the weather is really like there. Love the access to outdoor activities and medium size town./quote]

People have the impression we live close to the Arctic Circle! Winter (i.e. snow) in Bend starts around Thanksgiving - could be earlier, could be later. We typically have a late-starting spring. In between it can be very snowy, very sunny, very rainy, very cold, or somewhat warm. The roads get icy sometimes and can be a pain with the ruts that form for a few days. Snow doesn't stay on the roads for very long usually - the City keeps the main roads clear. That's Bend, but it is a different story in the nearby Cascades where it snows a lot, making access to trails and even some roads not possible until mid-summer. The passes to the Valley can get treacherous on some winter days. Late spring and summer are warm, little rain, the occasional thunderstorm (we had some wonderful ones this year), and always wildfires here and there - sometimes huge, unfortunately.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Crazy View Post
I don't know if what we seek is available anywhere but would like to get as close as possible or know what we have to adjust for.

1. Average temps above 50
2. Don't mind hot or cold stretches but not extended
3. Sunny more than cloudy
4. Near fishing
Sounds like the old I-want-a-California-climate-location-that's-not-in-California request. We see a dozen or so of those a month on this forum.

Your list of criteria doesn't favor any place in Oregon. North of the 35th parallel, you're going to have extended periods of hot or cold -- probably both. Where northern climates are relatively mild, it's due to the influence of the ocean. The same marine effects that moderate climate generate lots of fog, overcast and humidity -- that comes with the territory. I would look at a mid-elevation location in Arizona or New Mexico.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
A little too picky about temp & rain *kate laughs* I've heard the locals here say the fish are biting more when it's more on the overcast side!!!!!!! Great fishing on the McKenzie!!!! But... one more fish at least for me if you don't like our rain!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
If you could tolerate wild temp swings, Klamath County could be for you. In some towns in Klamath, they heat the streets from below to keep them snow free... Temperature is relative to what you convince yourself to tolerate... I think. Let us know what you decide!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Temps are usually pretty mild from Roseburg to Ashland.

www.oregonfishingforum.com

catch you som biggun Lunkers

Old 08-30-2009, 11:40 AM

18 posts, read 85,515 times
Thanks for the replies. I would like to reply to Steve97415 who wrote:

"Sounds like the old I-want-a-California-climate-location-that's-not-in-California request. We see a dozen or so of those a month on this forum. "

I don't know if it was intentional but I found that quote to be bit rude. My sister & her family moved to Corvallis, Oregon 3 years ago and one of the draws was the mild climate that Oregon is known for (not California). I was uneducated in the variations in weather from the coast to the valleys to the Eastern Oregan area. I had no idea that Oregan contained any climate other that the steriotypical rain. Once investigating Bend, I learned more and thought that there was maybe something in between. As I started my thread "I don't know if what we seek is available", I was hoping to find something close.

I actually live in a near perfect climate now, Florida. Except for 4 months of extreme heat & humidity, the weather is great. Our reason to move is about issues other than weather. We are considering Oregon due to family and we like the mountains & outdoor activities available. It is just hard to go from a very warm climate to something cold (grew up in Chicago) so would like to know our options.

Again, just didn't know Oregon climate was so diverse so just looking for something close and know we will have to accept some colder weather.

Appreciate any advise. Thank you

Old 08-30-2009, 12:51 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
OK Partner - Here's a fairly simple breakdown:
There are two halves of Oregon. East of the Cascades and West of the Cascades. The mass majority of the population lives on the westside. The eastside is sparse and rural. There is Bend on the eastside, and while all of Oregon has great outdoor opportunities, Bend and its surrounding areas are an outdoor paradise. The eastside covers requests #3 and 4. The westside has #4 and could possibly meet requests #1-3 if you are a little flexible with your preferences. The winter averages drop below 50, but c'mon, it's the winter. It doesnt get like Minnesota or anything. Fall and Spring have rain but not that cold. Many times, unless you live on the coast, the rain in Oregon is more of a mist than it is a downpour. Weather is awesome in the west from May through September. If your idea of cold is anything below 50, Oregon may not be for you. It is a beautiful state, but no place in the U.S. will meet all your desires. Hope this helps!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Fishing Crazy......

IF you are really deadset on moving to Oregon and truly desire MORE sunshine than not.........you really want to look on the EAST side of the Cascades.
TONS of sunshine!
Yes, the Bend area does get cold and snow in the winter but the sun will ALWAYS shine through much sooner than later.....compared to the westside of Oregon.
PLENTY of good fishing too!
The Deschutes River runs right through Bend and has plenty of good fishing, as do the many lakes in the nearby Cascades. Also, Bend is VERY dry and technically......part of the High Desert region of Eastern OR. It's VERY common to wake up on a summer morning to a temp. of 35 to 45 degrees and warm up 50 degrees by late afternoon to a high temp. of 90. Hit 103 in Bend one day this summer. Actually, it's been a very long, hot, dry summer which really makes one worry a bit about forest fires since there are SOOOO MANY pine trees in the region! It's a TINDERBOX and fires ARE a very real threat and occur frequently.
MUCH LESS rain on the eastside of the Cascades and snowfall amounts are primarily relative to one's elevation. (Ex.....Bend averages 36 inches of snow each winter, while Sunriver, OR.....just 20 miles south and maybe 800-1000 ft. higher......averages 64 inches of snow. Then, just 25 miles west of Bend at Mt. Bachelor Ski Area and at 9,000 ft. elevation.....averages 350 inches of snow each winter! (GREAT skiing at Bachelor, BTW). A LOT of golf courses around the area too.
But, there is no doubt that the economy in the Bend area is HORRIBLE and unemployment stands between 15-20% right now. Sadly, it appears the economy likely will.....NOT improve much anytime soon either.
But, with this said.......IF / WHEN the overall economy does improve......I would say the Bend area has a LOT of potential as it already does with outdoor recreation possibilities.
Bend is nice, but it grew way too fast during prosperous economic times (1995-2005) and a lot of Californians in the area could probably attest to this. Lately, it appears more people are moving out than moving in. Me too.....soon.
Good luck whatever you decide..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon