Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 PM

23 posts, read 158,595 times

Advertisements

Well we've taken the plunge and bought a house 20 miles north west of Dallas, OR and THERE'S NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET (sorry for shouting ).

What are my best options for decent internet? Both cable companies are out as is DSL, at least Verizon, Qwest and ATT.

How about the telephone companies? Any options there?

Thanks for you opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
You're out in the Willamina/Sheridan area?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 AM

17,636 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Perhaps DirecTV Satellite Internet...

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM

Silverfall - yes we're technically in Sheridan but closer to Willamina, on Gooseneck Road is that helps.

HawkJ - I'll check them out when I look into the TV

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM

197 posts, read 459,421 times
You could try Welcome. My grandaughter uses it and is very happy with it. You can even take it in the car with a laptop. She live outside Salem with no access due to her elevation.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:02 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,809 times
A few months ago someone else asked about rural Internet.
I cut and pasted my response to them (I am lazy and Don't want to re-write it )

Weather does affect any satellite.... The better the signal (up to 100% although 100% is really not achievable) the better off you are going to be when the weather changes.

Now for the most part when the rain comes.... the signal does go down.... But unless it is a MAJOR DOWNPOUR you should be OK....

But because satellite internet is 2 way... it may have more problems sending

Satellite internet should be the option of last resort.... if there is no other way to get high speed internet.... then it is the best "only" option...... The only other problem is that it needs a clear path to the satellite..... IE: it will not go through obstructions "trees, leaves, buildings... or ANY solid object"

Remember the better signal at the time of install... the better you will do when the weather hits

There are 3 major internet satellites..... Hughes net & Wild blue are probably the best, and then there is Starband.

The other way you "may" be able to get broadband internet is with a cell phone card.... But this is 100% dependent upon having good 3G service in your area (Verizon, ATT and Sprint)

I am sure you have checked all the options.... and that is the you are asking about satellite.

Good Luck

Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
I know we have Clear coverage here in Salem now. Not sure if they go out to your area. You might want to call and ask them.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb-gal View Post
Well we've taken the plunge and bought a house 20 miles north west of Dallas, OR and THERE'S NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET (sorry for shouting ).

What are my best options for decent internet? Both cable companies are out as is DSL, at least Verizon, Qwest and ATT.

How about the telephone companies? Any options there?

Thanks for you opinions
Wow, you should have moved to Umatilla County just to east!! The entire county is a Wi-Fi site!!

Lots of rural areas with high speed internet. Central Washington is totally wired with fiber. You can get 100 MPS fiber for $40/month.

Urbans areas are basically alike. Not much difference.

Rural areas are very different. One county is at cutting edge technology and the next county over is still in the copper wire era.

Look at cellular internet. You might need a antenna, plus amplifier, plus router. Those old farts driving down the highway in their RV's have it figured it. Google internet and RV's.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have cell coverage at the house but the 3G doesn't show on my phone...hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon