Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,093 times

Advertisements

We have gotten the "okay" to move to the Southern US. We would love to move to the Orlando area but are very concerned about the flea problem in the area. My husband is very allergic to flea bites as well as mosquito bites. If he is bitten, the only way to bring down the bite is to have a small local cortisone shot in the area, which means that he would have to go regularly to a dermatologist to get the shots for all of his bites (which could be numerous, as mosquitoes and fleas love him and don't bite me).

If we purchase a home, we would not have carpeting and would have a lanai. We know that fleas don't like sunny areas and prefer moist places. We have lived in the West Coast in the past and know how to avoid mosquitoes. When we lived in California, we went through fumigations, sprays (indoor and outdoor), and were able to minimize their cycle. We would use a professional exterminator on a regular basis to deal with the problem. From past experience, it appears that one is less susceptible to the problems if one lives in a condo compared to a house with the yards, etc.

We read that there is something called the "super flea" in Florida due to the ideal conditions for their breeding. Is this really a problem or is it exaggerated? We have 2 cats and are aware of the topical treatments as well as the monthly dosages to sterilize the critters. Any information on this particular problem would be greatly appreciated. We are located right now in NJ and right now haven't had any problems with fleas where we live.

We would greatly appreciate any input or thoughts on this. Perhaps Central Florida might be too difficult and we may just relocate to an area that has a colder climate. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgardener View Post
We have gotten the "okay" to move to the Southern US. We would love to move to the Orlando area but are very concerned about the flea problem in the area. My husband is very allergic to flea bites as well as mosquito bites. If he is bitten, the only way to bring down the bite is to have a small local cortisone shot in the area, which means that he would have to go regularly to a dermatologist to get the shots for all of his bites (which could be numerous, as mosquitoes and fleas love him and don't bite me).

If we purchase a home, we would not have carpeting and would have a lanai. We know that fleas don't like sunny areas and prefer moist places. We have lived in the West Coast in the past and know how to avoid mosquitoes. When we lived in California, we went through fumigations, sprays (indoor and outdoor), and were able to minimize their cycle. We would use a professional exterminator on a regular basis to deal with the problem. From past experience, it appears that one is less susceptible to the problems if one lives in a condo compared to a house with the yards, etc.

We read that there is something called the "super flea" in Florida due to the ideal conditions for their breeding. Is this really a problem or is it exaggerated? We have 2 cats and are aware of the topical treatments as well as the monthly dosages to sterilize the critters. Any information on this particular problem would be greatly appreciated. We are located right now in NJ and right now haven't had any problems with fleas where we live.

We would greatly appreciate any input or thoughts on this. Perhaps Central Florida might be too difficult and we may just relocate to an area that has a colder climate. Thanks very much!
Honestly, you'd be much better moving on the west coast where they don't have a problem with mosquitos or fleas. We have both here and they can be very bad at this time of the year. If you don't have pets or they are on flea prevention, I wouldn't be so concerned about the fleas, but we have tons of mosquitos here.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just giving my honest opinion.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Mosquitos are a part of life here and your husband will not be a happy camper. fleas... I have dogs and use comfortis it works and faster than anything I've seen... advantage, and frontline are largely ineffective. I''m sure getting a dog to kill fleas in a yard isnt a good option and it is pretty hard to know where the beggars are. im thinking Alaska is the place for him....

Old 06-14-2010, 07:49 AM

32 posts, read 85,964 times
The mosquitoes will carry you away here when it's above 50 degrees...which is most of the year. The fleas are easily taken care of by granulating your yard and keeping your pet on flea prevention... but the mosquitoes are everywhere.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Have you considered Az? Florida is bug heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: