Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM
kks kks started this thread

2 posts, read 7,805 times

Advertisements

We are considering Orlando to retire in. We are trying to avoid the gated communities and age restrictions. We do enjoy being among other citizens of the city closer to the activities downtown. We are therefore looking into Condominiums in a safe neigbborhood. Any suggestions. We like what we see so far by way of music and the arts so far.

Thanks.

KKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:45 AM

841 posts, read 4,838,640 times
Hi KKS,
Thorton Park in downtown Orlando may be a fun place for you to live. You can find new condominiums downtown right on Lake Eola. There is a walking/jogging path around the lake (about a mile long) that is very busy with all ages of people. There are many restaurants and coffee shops within walking distance, and I've seen quite a lot of people walking out of their buildings with small dogs, so obviously some condos are dog friendly. I moved out of the area a few years ago and do not know the names of the condos, but you shouldn't have a problem finding an exciting place to live in Thorton Park.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:51 PM

155 posts, read 284,777 times
Post Ack!! Retire downtown??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kks View Post
We are considering Orlando to retire in. We are trying to avoid the gated communities and age restrictions. We do enjoy being among other citizens of the city closer to the activities downtown. We are therefore looking into Condominiums in a safe neigbborhood. Any suggestions. We like what we see so far by way of music and the arts so far.

Thanks.

KKS
You want to RETIRE downtown Orlando?? Wow, that is a first for me!! People usually want to retire and have peace! You guys want congestion, people honking their horns, super high pricesm, bums on every street corner, exceptionally high violent crime, drug deals you can watch from your apt porch.... I guess it taks all kinds, right? Well, be prepared for all the BS you will encounter!

I always think of Gatlinburg, TN or soemwhere peaceful and quite when I think retirement. I amazed you guys wnat to retire downtown Orlando!!

How totally odd!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:42 PM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
There's a place in Maitland - right past the Enzian theater that is very nice. I was always so jealous that it was a retirement community! It's right on a nice lake on the south end of Maitland. (Like, less than a mile to Winter Park).

I am sorry I don't know the name, as I have moved out of state. Maybe someone else will know the name.

I lived downtown for years and I cannot think of one place like that. All the nearby neighborhoods on the liilte lakes are very cool. Maybe look at Delaney Park? If you're very wealthy you can live downtown off Lake Eola. A vibrant, small community there.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
I just don't get retiring in downtown Orlando either. What's the point? It's not a bad place to live if you are rich, single, work downtown, and are into the dating scene. Anyway, there are pleanty of new highrise condos going up right downtown, and on the South side of Lake Eola, where you shouldn't have any problem finding something. In fact, if you wait a few more months or even a year, the condo market downtown will probably get worse, and you should be able to find some good deals. Just way too many condos downtown for the number of people who actually want to live in this area. It's kind of the big joke among those who have lived here a long time.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:52 PM
kks kks started this thread

2 posts, read 7,805 times
Default Thanks for the feedback

Thank you all for your thoughts. I hope the laugh was good for some of you.

It did not take very long for us to realize that downtown Oralando may not be totally right. We are a couple of urbanites who yearn the down-town scene like theater, music and restaurants. But indeed other factors seem to suggest that it may not be the best idea. We did look into Thorton Park and liked the area but not enough to satisfy our needs.

We are moving right along. Next for consideration are Austin, Ft Worth, San Francisco. Notice I skipped New Orleans. We like being in the city, but not enough to be in harm's way.

KKS

Old 02-28-2007, 08:46 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
I don't really see any reason to call someone odd and roll your eyes. Smack downtown does have the homeless element and traffic coming and going into town, but it's not unsafe to walk the streets. I've worked there for many, many years. My wonderful adopted grandmother and grandfather live within walking distance east from downtown in a half a million dollar house (he's 82 yo). Many young professionals are buying houses (i.e., an executive with the Orlando Symphony) within walking distance from downtown. Several attorneys have purchased condos and live there. There are private schools in churches less than one mile from downtown to which well to do families send their children. Downtown is not as scenic as other places, such as the mountains, but many older people live in that area, walk through the neighborhoods and around the lakes. To the west of downtown is a crime area. But to the east are beautiful brick, tree lined streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou2007 View Post
You want to RETIRE downtown Orlando?? Wow, that is a first for me!! People usually want to retire and have peace! You guys want congestion, people honking their horns, super high pricesm, bums on every street corner, exceptionally high violent crime, drug deals you can watch from your apt porch.... I guess it taks all kinds, right? Well, be prepared for all the BS you will encounter!

I always think of Gatlinburg, TN or soemwhere peaceful and quite when I think retirement. I amazed you guys wnat to retire downtown Orlando!!

How totally odd!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:07 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Quote:
Several attorneys have purchased condos and live there.
Thats about 8 units down and 7,992 left to go. With over 8,000 condo units being constructed or approved for construction, who in the world do these developers think are going to be the end users?

Just take a glance at this article in the Orlando Sentinal:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-a...ostemailedlink

If I purchased, a condo for an investment in Orlando (which I haven't, thank God), I'd consider myself lucky if I could ditch it for 75% of what I paid for it just to get out from under it. I love Orlando, but this Condo Craze is about the biggest black cloud hanging over Orlando right now. A great big round of applause for Mayor Buddy Dyer for possibly setting the stage for the longest and most harmful economic plight to ever face Orlando. It took Orlando and its surrounding cities nearly 15 years to absorb the last condo craze that happened on a much smaller scale in the late 70's. How many of you remember those investors loosing their butts when this happened.

I can assure you, if I end up having to flee Orlando, it will as a result of an eventual depression caused by the Condo Craze. THIS is what everybody should be scared to death over!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM

26 posts, read 271,156 times
I live in here in Orlando and I'm going to risk and be so bold as to say, scratch Orlando off your list. I think you'll like Austin. Traffic is a bit heavy but It's really beautiful there. (there's going to be a bit of traffic, a bit of homeless,a bit of crime in every downtown right?) - Orlando has taken all those bits to new levels..

Old 06-27-2007, 10:44 AM

66 posts, read 230,373 times
I could see retiring to Thorton Park area. Nice places to eat, good people watching and shopping. Never seemed too high paced to me. I think the new retirees aren't exactly looking to sit on porch swings all day drinking iced tea, either. Maybe some crime downtown at 4 in the morning on the other side of I4. Yeah there are bums here and there, but they don't bother anyone. I once had a bum sing a song and do a dance, and then just went on his way (not near Thorton Park though). Plus hop on the highway to get to peaceful beaches in an hour or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando