Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 57,278 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Orlando area at the end of September. We were thinking about Winter Garden, any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,693 times
Smile Im looking to relocate to Florida

what is the best places to live at in FL? im trying to find a good community in FL thats either close to the beach or an hr away. if anyone could help me out i would like to get out of CA its to expensive for me right now. I heard many good things about FL and how much cheaper it is then CA. so if anyone could help me and give me some advice for a single 24male looking for a fun and safe place to live? please no little small towns that are away from big cities. i love the nightlife. thanks everyone in advance for answers. City-Data.com is BadAce! www.myspace.com/kiddallas

Old 06-29-2007, 06:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
If you read these boards, I think you will see that Florida is probably getting as expensive as California to live in. Long gone are the days when you could move to Florida and find a "cheap" place to live. In Orlando, an older but somewhat renovated ('60's, '70's) small 1500 sf house in a neighborhood that is just "ok" will run you about $275,000 - yes, cheaper than Malibu Beach, but not much cheaper than many parts of California for what you get. Plus, taxes and insurance are fairly high.

When it comes to people wanting to move to Orlando, please keep in mind that "Orlando" is a huge area. Much bigger than most people think, when they think of Orlando. Asking generally where to live in Orlando is like asking where to live in L.A. Where will you work? What is your budget? Do you have kids? How important are schools to you? Do you prefer "white" neighborhoods, "racially mixed" neighborhoods, or any particular "ethnic" neighbohood? Do you like gated communities? Do you like/disslike HOA's? Do you like new homes, older homes, "quaintness", "villiage" feel, or modern homes?

Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
I wish I could buy a 1500 sq ft home in Orlando for $275k!! LOL I know what you're saying but I can tell you from recent experience that even in less than stellar locations the housing is a lot more than that. They are building townhomes near Michigan and Fern Creek that are starting out at 375k. For what? To be in a high crime zone without direct access to ANYWHERE?

Where I live around Delaney Park a 1500 sq ft house now will run in the 500-700k range. There's a house on Kaley near Orange Ave that I really like and it's in the 500k range. Again, for what reason? To hear that 7-11 being robbed all the time?

Downtown is an awesome place to live, but like you said it is reaching L.A. prices.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:33 PM

165 posts, read 657,047 times
Winter garden is a really nice area Plus there getting a new outside mall. As far as fl being like cali. Not really people don't make the money here HOME PRICES ARE COMMING DOWN. keep an eye on the market. Look into new homes there a bit cheaper now there's some good buys out there now.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
Prices would have to come down over 50% to be in line with what they should actually cost. I know for fact because our house in St. Cloud was 275k total and sold in 2006 for 550k. 6 years ago downtown I could have bought the house I lived in for less than 100k. Today? It's on zillow for over 500k.
I'd say about 1300 sq ft. So yes, prices are like LA but without the high paying jobs.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Another emerging area where prices are still competitive is the new east Orlando communities of Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, Lake Nona, etc. Many new schools, shopping, etc. Near the airport, UCF and will be the location of the new hi tech corridor, medical university and new research hospital. Cocoa Beach or Disney attractions are about 30 minutes away off the 528 or the 417 respectively.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:29 AM

88 posts, read 264,774 times
In regards to zillow, last thing I heard is that they were talking about banning the website. It gives out false or embellished prices of houses. I'm speaking from experience as a real estate agent.
Then the media lies to the public. Housing prices are supposed to be up so much from last year they had in the paper last week here in Orlando. Give me a break, the inventory is bursting at the seams. It's a buyer's market!!!!!
There's no easy way to find out about Orlando other than doing your homework. It takes time, spend some time in different parts of Orlando then research the prices, demographics, find an agent but don't rely too much on them either. Realtors are allowed to say only so much, ethical ones anyway.
Moonbeam

Old 07-14-2007, 07:37 AM

88 posts, read 264,774 times
Most definitely...NEWS FLASH for people wanting to move here Florida is now known for being a high-cost, low-wage state. Anderson from the state capitol was on about a month ago and actually spoke those words. Many people have left especially since the hurricanes when insurance rates, property taxes have gone way up. Moonbeam

Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da8509 View Post
I still strongly believe Florida is less expensive than California. I'm just now looking through house listings and am seeing a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom home for 645,000 in Winter Park. In the city of Fullerton, California, near Los Angeles, a smaller 3 bd, 3 bath home costs 949,000. I, for one, am strongly considering moving to Florida from California in the near future (though I DO want to make sure that it's a low-crime area).
Note: These posts where from 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando