Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM

9 posts, read 24,155 times

Advertisements

Moving to Orlando, looking at either Dr. Philips, Winter Park, Maitland... etc... We have a 5 year old starting Kindergarten next fall, any insight as to what is a better area? We are looking for family friendly, restaurants, shops (not a mall), meditation / Yoga facilities, YMCA, etc.... Don't want to feel too "Suburbia"... Any other suggestions that we should consider? Looking to spend between 350k-450k....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM

19 posts, read 44,513 times
Your price range is a little low for those 3 areas.

The schools in Seminole County tend to be better than Orange -- Maitland (and I think Winter Park) are both in Orange County and Seminole so if you look there be sure to specify Seminole County.

Right now the schools for Dr. Philips, Winter Park and Maitland are all good -- Dr. Phillips is the least "suburban" of the three. You're not far from Universal Studios so you may have higher crime problems and the occasional tourist wandering through. You can see the Universal fireworks from many homes in Dr. Phillips -- and this is a plus to some and a minus to others.

OTOH Winter Park while very chic has a train running through the middle and you do get train noise.

I live near Maitland / Winter Park and although I personally prefer Dr. Phillips think that where I live is better for my son.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
All three are good areas, although Dr. Phillips and Winter Park are more upscale than Maitland. I think Winter Park is the least suburban, being fairly close to downtown. My personal favorite is Dr. Phillips, which is where I was raised. Crime is not a problem in the area, and wherever you are you are only a few short minutes to "Restaurant Row" on Sand Lake, a bunch of shopping centers, a YMCA and plenty of other gyms. You should also look into Windermere, which is next to Dr. Phillips.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:49 PM

142 posts, read 362,627 times
Try Lake Mary, you'll get all you asked for and more for the money. The schools are fabulous, my son is in his last year at Bentley, it was amazing...I loved that Kinder and 1st are in a seperate building than the rest too! Good luck!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 AM

Thank you all for the posts... After reading other posts as well, many people are also suggesting Lake Mary... Is there a town center there, like Winter Park? Really do like that aspect of Winter Park...

Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragae View Post
Your price range is a little low for those 3 areas.
$350-450 K is definitely doable for a modest house in Dr Phillips. Grenada Villas, right off sand lake rd, has several SFH's which are all less than $350 K (albeit they were mostly built in the 1980s). There are several townhomes in numerous areas around Dr Phillips for a lot less than $350 K as well.

Out of all of those areas mentioned though, I prefer Dr Phillips or Winter Park, as both have less of a suburban feel than Maitland. Dr Phillips has a nice YMCA, plenty of restaurants and a good proximity to the theme parks, airport, and good shopping at Millennia.

If the OP is working close to downtown, Winter Park makes more sense, but if the OP is working in south Orlando/Osceola, Dr Phillips probably makes more sense.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM

142 posts, read 362,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
$350-450 K is definitely doable for a modest house in Dr Phillips. Grenada Villas, right off sand lake rd, has several SFH's which are all less than $350 K (albeit they were mostly built in the 1980s). There are several townhomes in numerous areas around Dr Phillips for a lot less than $350 K as well.

Out of all of those areas mentioned though, I prefer Dr Phillips or Winter Park, as both have less of a suburban feel than Maitland. Dr Phillips has a nice YMCA, plenty of restaurants and a good proximity to the theme parks, airport, and good shopping at Millennia.

If the OP is working close to downtown, Winter Park makes more sense, but if the OP is working in south Orlando/Osceola, Dr Phillips probably makes more sense.
I thought the same thing when I read that, you can get something very nice for that price.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,247 times
Mdietheld,
Which one did you decide at the end?. I am currently in the same situation. Looking for a nice place to live with a good environment to raise my 2 elementary kids. I have been using greatschools.org to also find a good school in the area. It come to my surprise that Maitland (the less recommended it) has more community reviews. Any ideas are more than welcome.
Thanks,
CCOC

Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 PM

...we haven't decided on a place as of yet...heading down in a week or two to check it out....

Old 01-19-2011, 11:40 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,865 times
You'll be able to find plenty of choices in the <450K price range in all the area's mentioned. You won't be able to get right next to park ave in Winter park for the price, or something on Sand Lake in Dr. Phillips but there are plenty of great neighborhoods in the area that aren't ultra expensive.

Lake Mary is another good choice (again won't get much in Alaqua lakes for the price but there are plenty of other great neighborhoods). There is a towncenter, but nothing like Winter Park. Winter Park's Park ave is unique in central florida.

You should have your agent (if you have one) take you on a tour of all three area's and see what neighborhoods and a few homes in your price range so you can get an idea of what you can get for the $.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando