Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 11,622 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are from NJ with 3 children. We will be relocating from NJ to Orlando. I will be there in 2 weeks. We would like to rent a house with 4bedrooms and have a pool.

We want to move to an area that has alot of activities to do with children and schools that have sport teams and activities for the children.

I would love to live in the burbs but not too far out in the middle of a forest

My sister relocated to Kissimmee and she said she likes it alot. So we were thinking about moving to this area. However I would like to keep our options open based on children activities because we do not want the children to be bored.

We currently pay 2,000.00 a month here to rent a 3bedroom apartment. We would like 4bedrooms for no more then 1200 a month to be able to save and buy a house in a year.

I have looked at places on CL to prepare for my trip down but it seems that none of them answer their phones *sighs*. If there are any good real estate agents that can help please contact me.

We are moving because we are basically tired of over paying in rent since we are 10mins from NYC. Also the long winters are too much and since we are a big family we need a house.

Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM

388 posts, read 790,998 times
I don't want to rain on your parade, but a 4 bedroom home with a pool in a "nice" neighborhood is going to run you more than $1200/month. You might be able to find that in Kissimmee, but that isn't one of the most desireable areas to live, and the schools are rated poorly. Do you have jobs lined up? Your employment will play a factor in where you want to purchase without a huge commute.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 PM

I own a hair salon in NJ so I will not be looking for work.

Wow I am so shocked because my sister seems to love Kissimmee. What other areas are decent that are nearby that are not too dead.

Communities?

Thanks for your help

Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Kissimmee has some of if not the worst schools in the area. In general Osceola County schools are poor.

Where will your husband be working?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Kissimmee has some of if not the worst schools in the area. In general Osceola County schools are poor.

Where will your husband be working?
Wow well that is bad I am glad I asked. My husband has an online business so we are both pretty much open to any area.

I would like to be in close distance to visit my sister so something not too far away from Kissimmee would be good.

Schools and children's activities are the first on the list of being important before renting prices. We just want to kind of stay away from the 2,000.00 mark.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on checking things out in person when I arrive. I can deal with decent areas. Not looking for fancy but bad schools are non-negotiable.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Clermont is the next town over to the west/north. Good elementary and middle schools, improving high schools. Lot's of activities in the area.

Best schools are in Seminole County.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Clermont is the next town over to the west/north. Good elementary and middle schools, improving high schools. Lot's of activities in the area.

Best schools are in Seminole County.
Thank you!

I will look there when I arrive.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Being in Seminole County will probably put you over an hour from Kissimmee, though. You might check out Hunter's Creek. I'm not sure how the schools are but I don't think they're terrible. The area is more desirable than Kissimmee, at least.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM

12 posts, read 39,844 times
Good luck with that. We searched for a house to rent when we moved from Colorado to Orlando. I spent weeks calling and trying to set up appointments to look at houses for rent. A few turned into scams so be careful and do research on rental scams. We ended up having to rent a townhome in Metrowest at Gates of Harbortown about 5 miles from Windermere, and we were miserable. Orlando seems like an ideal place to live, but it isn't unless your coming from a bigger city with ruder people. Fact is that Orlando comes in as the 9th rudest city in the US. From my experience it is! Stay away from Metrowest and try to live in Dr. Phillips or Windermere. Really check out the schools because the middle school in Windermere called "Chain of Lakes" is a rough school with a lot of bullying. They bus in kids from much poorer areas so they had police that had to patrol the halls due to fighting. We took our son out of there and had to homeschool him due to those issues. Dr. Phillips and Celebration are very nice if you can afford it.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:29 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Hunter's Creek and Conway area would be your best bets although you may have to go above $1200 but still be under $2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando