Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times

Advertisements

Governor Scott's new slash and burn budget contains nearly $3.3 billion in education cuts. Most people think this will result in teacher lay offs, halt in new school construction and less pay for all educators. Well given the deep cuts school leaders are now saying it will go much deeper than that. Some have stated that after school activities could disappear entirely...INCLUDING FOOTBALL. Gov. Scott I know your new to FL and trying to make waves and impress your Tea Party friend but let me clue you into something. You can take away our trains, take away our pensions, take away our beaches, take away our beautiful natural environments....but you NOT take away HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL! You will see the biggest uprising yet. What's the point of cutting corporate taxes to lure new corps when the employers learn that "ohh by the way, our schools no longer have any after school activities or sports programs." Every major corp will run from this state as most young families that is major quality of life issue. KEEP THE FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS ON!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Governor Scott's new slash and burn budget contains nearly $3.3 billion in education cuts. Most people think this will result in teacher lay offs, halt in new school construction and less pay for all educators. Well given the deep cuts school leaders are now saying it will go much deeper than that. Some have stated that after school activities could disappear entirely...INCLUDING FOOTBALL. Gov. Scott I know your new to FL and trying to make waves and impress your Tea Party friend but let me clue you into something. You can take away our trains, take away our pensions, take away our beaches, take away our beautiful natural environments....but you NOT take away HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL! You will see the biggest uprising yet. What's the point of cutting corporate taxes to lure new corps when the employers learn that "ohh by the way, our schools no longer have any after school activities or sports programs." Every major corp will run from this state as most young families that is major quality of life issue. KEEP THE FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS ON!
Most agree that we really do not to cut back government spending. I realize your post may be completely in jest, but if budgetary cuts don't include afterschool sports, what can they include? Would we prefer teachers be laid off? If parent's want their kids to participate in after school sports, they can support the program without taxpayer dollars.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,824 times
You can see how gullible Floridians are by voting in as their governor the man responsible for the biggest medicare fraud in the history of the country. Then he says I'm sorry I didn't know, and the same idiots believed him.

The easiest way to control a population is to dumb it down by killing education in the name of "budget cuts." It's happening all across the country.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
You can see how gullible Floridians are by voting in as their governor the man responsible for the biggest medicare fraud in the history of the country. Then he says I'm sorry I didn't know, and the same idiots believed him.

The easiest way to control a population is to dumb it down by killing education in the name of "budget cuts." It's happening all across the country.
If you've ever presided over a business as large as Scott's, and were aware of everything that every employee was doing, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm by no means a Rick Scott supporter, but we really need to stop letting the media manage public opinion (on both sides of the aisle).

Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
If you've ever presided over a business as large as Scott's, and were aware of everything that every employee was doing, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm by no means a Rick Scott supporter, but we really need to stop letting the media manage public opinion (on both sides of the aisle).
So gullible. You know how many felonies Columbia confessed to? The scope of their fraud is beyond your understanding. I know for sure that all the moves they made to defraud the govt and others, that does not happen in a "business as large as Scott's" without Scott okaying it as the CEO.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
So gullible. You know how many felonies Columbia confessed to? The scope of their fraud is beyond your understanding. I know for sure that all the moves they made to defraud the govt and others, that does not happen in a "business as large as Scott's" without Scott okaying it as the CEO.
Again, if you've ever presided over a business as large as Scott's, and you read everything that you signed in it's entirety, I would love to hear about it. If not, you should stop calling people gullible and saying that things are beyond their understanding. You are simply a puppet repeating what you hear on the news.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:46 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Floridians voted in this criminal imbecile who should be sitting in a FED cell for Medicare fraud & he isn't even from Florida. Forget after school activities since he's slashing jobs for teachers & correctional officers as well. As for defending Scott by saying he didn't know what was going on? HA! That is like Madoff saying he thought he was investing his client's money!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Football is not a neccessity. For those who want to play it, fork over the cash to keep the team going. Charge a small fee to those who want to watch it. When I was a kid, players had to pay for uniforms and equipment, and we were charged $.50 for students and $1 for adults to go to games to recoup transportation and coaching costs.

Major corporations are not going to run from the state because a small percentage of people like going to games. Instead pop warner leagues will spring up.

Why is football (or any sport) more important than the arts? It's a proven fact that kids who learn an instrument do better in math, yet music and art programs are almost always the first to go.

Want to fix education? Let's start with the book sellers who contractually require schools to order new books every year, even though nothing has changed in them from teh previous year.

As a taxpayer, I do believe that physical education is important, but football? Whatever.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
I don't believe any students play for "free". All the players still pay for fees and parents and spectators still pay to watch the games on top of what they already donate to the booster clubs. The cuts proposed are just so deep that even with those parental and sponsor contributions the school systems just can not afford to have extracurricular activities including the arts. To some of the already struggling school districts these cuts would mean eliminating everything but core classes themselves. As far as football, it's a way of life here. Like it or not FL HS football is ingrained in the culture here. It's by far the one thing we lead the nation in. We produce more D1 athletes and NFL players than any other state. On top of that, in some of the smaller rural and urban communities it presents an opportunity for kids to get an education and also brings the community together. I agree Annerk that arts are just as important but part of my point in bringing up this topic is many voters who supported Gov Scott probably wouldn't notice arts programs dissapearing as much as sports dissapearing. I also think it a very valid argument that eliminating extracurricular programs from public schools would be a big turn off to major corporations looking to relocate here. I went to a fairly affluent area high school and to most parents, great arts, theater, sports programs were very important to them and selecting to live in that district.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I don't believe any students play for "free". All the players still pay for fees and parents and spectators still pay to watch the games on top of what they already donate to the booster clubs. The cuts proposed are just so deep that even with those parental and sponsor contributions the school systems just can not afford to have extracurricular activities including the arts. To some of the already struggling school districts these cuts would mean eliminating everything but core classes themselves. As far as football, it's a way of life here. Like it or not FL HS football is ingrained in the culture here. It's by far the one thing we lead the nation in. We produce more D1 athletes and NFL players than any other state. On top of that, in some of the smaller rural and urban communities it presents an opportunity for kids to get an education and also brings the community together. I agree Annerk that arts are just as important but part of my point in bringing up this topic is many voters who supported Gov Scott probably wouldn't notice arts programs dissapearing as much as sports dissapearing. I also think it a very valid argument that eliminating extracurricular programs from public schools would be a big turn off to major corporations looking to relocate here. I went to a fairly affluent area high school and to most parents, great arts, theater, sports programs were very important to them and selecting to live in that district.
If it's as important as you say, people who participate in it should be more than willing to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando