Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 33,184 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of moving to Oakland. I have seen crime data on the city and it says its well above the national average in every category. I find that hard to believe after driving through the town. Is it true there is that much crime there? There were 10 burglaries and 27 cases of larceny in 2009. Both of those are well below the 2 years before 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:19 PM

135 posts, read 439,596 times
Not sure about the crime being that much but I know people in Oakland and we go to church there and its a great little town! I live in downtown Winter Garden right next to Oakland and I would hear about all this crime and I havent seen much! You just have to know the places to go and keep away from certain places after a certain time. We have had no problems and feel safe here. We did have a situation on our street just last week but it was domestic and wasnt random or anything which you will find alot of those statistics are family disputes and crime commited within a family or between friends. Anyway, we like Oakland very much!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 AM

102 posts, read 234,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty8225 View Post
Im thinking of moving to Oakland. I have seen crime data on the city and it says its well above the national average in every category. I find that hard to believe after driving through the town. Is it true there is that much crime there? There were 10 burglaries and 27 cases of larceny in 2009. Both of those are well below the 2 years before 2009.
I used to be a planner for Oakland years ago.

A disproportionate amount of crime is confined to a very small area; bordered by West Gulley Avenue, North Nixon Street, West Sadler Avenue, and Jefferson Street. It's called "The Quarter", but old maps name identify this area as the "Colored Quarter". Many southern towns established after the Civil War had such neighborhoods; a section platted with smaller blocks and smaller lots, where recently freed slaves and their descendants lived. These few blocks are still quite poor; an island of poverty in an otherwise middle-class to well-off community. You'll see shotgun shacks in The Quarter, and $500,000 houses a block beyond its boundaries.

Outside of The Quarter, Oakland is very safe. It has a very large police force for a town its size, residents are generally very friendly, and elected and appointed officials are accessible.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Oakland is a great little town. When we lived in Winter Garden, our daughter attended the Oakland Ave Charter school and we loved the experience.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Solve one of those burglaries and I bet you solve them all....

It's a pretty slow place otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: