Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 PM

37 posts, read 76,255 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I would LOVE if some people would provide me with some advice I can't find anywhere else on the net.

First of all, I have been accepted to a graduate program at UCF in Orlando and would LOVE to get out of NE to some warm weather. One of my concerns is the out of state tuition which is really high. I was wondering if I would be able to obtain instate residency after a year of living in FL?

Also, my bf is moving with me and is looking for a job as a corporate chef or executive chef. Does anyone know of the job prospects for this field and how much the average income would be?

We are not interested in buying a house at the time. We would be interested in renting a condo or apartment. We have been looking at some nice condos that are around $300-600 for a one bedroom...do those prices sound realistic for those of you who do live in FL?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated! We are 24 and 28 years old without any kids so any information you can give us about 20 something year olds living in Orlando would be GREAT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillies123 View Post
Hi everyone!

I would LOVE if some people would provide me with some advice I can't find anywhere else on the net.

First of all, I have been accepted to a graduate program at UCF in Orlando and would LOVE to get out of NE to some warm weather. One of my concerns is the out of state tuition which is really high. I was wondering if I would be able to obtain instate residency after a year of living in FL?

Also, my bf is moving with me and is looking for a job as a corporate chef or executive chef. Does anyone know of the job prospects for this field and how much the average income would be?

We are not interested in buying a house at the time. We would be interested in renting a condo or apartment. We have been looking at some nice condos that are around $300-600 for a one bedroom...do those prices sound realistic for those of you who do live in FL?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated! We are 24 and 28 years old without any kids so any information you can give us about 20 something year olds living in Orlando would be GREAT!
Congratulations on your acceptance to UCF!

You can establish residency in Florida which takes 12 continuous months. You'll want to get a drivers license and utilities in your name as soon as possible upon arrival. Bear in mind you'll pay out-of-state tuition one full academic year plus one semester before your residency becomes effective, depending upon when you actually move here.

Central Florida has a huge hospitality industry and your boyfriend shouldn't have issue with finding work, though perhaps not as Executive Chef right off the bat. The Sous Chef angle is more likely and depending upon the level of dining (casual or fine) can expect to make $15-$20 an hour.

I would be overly cautious of any apartment in the area that rents for $300 per month. In fact I would avoid sight unseen. Versus the apartment complex route I'd recommend checking out private landlords/properties. Craigslist is a good source where you can find apartments in the $500 a month range in areas like downtown Orlando (Thornton Park, Lake Eola) or Winter Park which are more suited for mature twenty-somethings, versus East Orlando near UCF or SW Orlando which is touristy and congested.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
There is residency, and then there is residency for tuition purposes. If you were talking undergrad, you'd have to move down here for a full year BEFORE attending school and earn at least something like $18K in that year in order to have a reasonable chance at claiming residency for tuition purposes. Higher ed is effectively broke down here, and they will not give up any out of state tuition dollar they can lay paws on.

However, for grad school it may be different depending on what program you're in. Once you've been admitted, talk to someone who handles grad programs in your specific department. They can give you a better idea of fellowships, TA positions, scholarship funds, etc. and whether its possible to get a highly qualified out of state student in-state tuition. (It may or may not be. My employer doesn't have grad programs, so I don't know the rules for that.)

Best of luck! UCF has made some amazing improvements to their academic programs in recent years, and it's only a matter of time before people catch on at how good their research and grad programs have become in a lot of areas.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,754 times
The rules for residency are the same for both graduates and non-graduates and are set by state law. You must be a resident for twelve months before you start classes to get in-state tuition.

You can apply for a reclassification as a resident after you start classes if you can prove you did not just move to Florida to attend school.

-Harry

Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Thank you! I keep hearing different information on the residency issue. Do you know who I could talk to or what website I could look at to get accurate information?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 PM

Also, I will look into winter park. I have looked up some places already and the area looks very nice. My boyfriend is not looking into working at restaurants, but more like food companies, such as, Sodexo or a catering company. I hope those jobs are easy to come by in Orlando. He has 8 years of experience, BA degree in culinary arts, plus a certification, which I hope will all contribute to his marketability.

Beachmouse, Thank you! I have heard amazing things about UCF. I am looking forward to it. I heard faculty and the program I will be attending is amazing and really prepares you. I am a little intimidated since the campus is pretty big and I will not know my way around Orlando at all, but I am sure I will do fine

Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Hate to tell you this but being a student does not get you residency in the state of Florida.

If you get a full time job, obtain Florida driver's license, register a car, get insurance here,and live here for a year before you start school there is a possibility of getting in state tuition.
Just go to any of the state colleges and they will have a page on residency.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,754 times
Quote:
Thank you! I keep hearing different information on the residency issue. Do you know who I could talk to or what website I could look at to get accurate information?
Here is the UCF graduate school page on residency reclassification:

Residency Reclassification - Graduate Students - University of Central Florida

It specifically says that you have the burden of proof to show them that you did not come to Florida for the purpose of pursuing an education, they don't have to prove that you did.

-Harry

Old 03-02-2015, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,079 times
I am relocating to Orlando,Florida in July 2015. I have 3 boys who are 15, 13 and 8 in grammar schools in the uk in Manchester and would like to know which are the best schools to go to in the orlando area - do I need to go private or are the state schools just as good. Can anyone recommend a good area and anything that could help me with arranging this process. Thanks

Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreafisher36 View Post
I am relocating to Orlando,Florida in July 2015. I have 3 boys who are 15, 13 and 8 in grammar schools in the uk in Manchester and would like to know which are the best schools to go to in the orlando area - do I need to go private or are the state schools just as good. Can anyone recommend a good area and anything that could help me with arranging this process. Thanks
Look at Seminole County communities of Oviedo, Longwood, Sanford, Winter Springs, and Altamonte Springs. Those areas have good schools and nice family friendly area but if you want to look at Orlando then the areas of Windermere, Dr. Phillips, Winter Park ,Winter Garden, and Maitland are where to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando